AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My LT150 is only about 2 wks old and last night while watching the near-end of 2 hour movie, it suddenly click and then it shut off. There was a funny smell and the red light was lit on the status light. The power light (green) was flashing. I could not turn it back on and the fan stopped running when it shut off. This was almost like a fuse kicked off. I had to unplug the unit from wall count to 5 and replug it in. Then all was well. It did make a clicking noise when it was first replugged in, but then not for subsequent plug-ins afterwards. I don't have unit in hush box or anything to heat it up more than usual. It's sitting on a coffee table without any obstruction to exhaust or inlet. My basement is cool (65 degrees F) as fall is here and I have not turn heater on yet. There was no power outage as my audio equipement and DVD player kept on running without even a hiccup. I have the unit on a 1800 joule, IBM surge protector. What worries me most was the smell. No smoke or anything, just that electronic burnt smell for a fleeting instant. Everything seems to work fine now (fan, perfect picture, noise level all as before). Anyone else had this problem. I leave my unit plugged in and on standby between uses. I hate to send my projector in if you guys think it's nothing to worry about.

------------------

Huey ;-]

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I called NEC support engineer and he had no clue either. He just logged my complaint in computer and promised replacement with new unit if problem persists as unit is less than 30D old. Over 30D you'd get refurb. unit. I'll keep an eye on it and see if it continues to shut off on long movies. I just hate to rack up the hours on my projector due to bulb cost :). He admitted that digital projectors in general have quirks like these. He has a LT84 at home (SVGA DLP prior to LT85) and it did similar things. A reset (unplugging) took care of problem.

------------------

Huey ;-]

·
Registered
803 Posts
My Proxima DX3 behaved in a similar way some weeks ago.

One day it had bad vertical stripes, on another day during a resolution refresh change it went black. Lamp was on, fan was on but the screen was black, no effect on controls.

I had to unplug it and plug it back.

The DLP chip can have some 'stuck' problems, usually a cold reset (unplug mains) does the job.

bye

------------------

dubmaster

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.