AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried to input 1080i/720p (from HTPC or video proecessor) to LT150 via RGB? How's the performance?

Thanks, CKL

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
I've been feeding it RGB (both 1080i and 720p) from my Dish 6000 and that works flawlessly.

Bob Wood

------------------

~ The Sultan of Cheap ~

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
I've tried to decide which looks better, CKL, but am not seeing a signifcant difference. HDTV is eye candy with the little LT150.

I play DVD with both Radeon and Geforce equipped HTPC's using the various software players (always at 1024x768). I can't really see a significant difference between the Radeon/ATI player and the Geforce/WinDVD combo. Frankly, it all looks very good to me. But I'm only playing film and not video based DVD's (which I understand introduce some de-interlacing issues for a HTPC).

I don't have a HD decoder card or an external scaler (haven't found a need to add either).

Bob

------------------

~ The Sultan of Cheap ~

[This message has been edited by RobertWood (edited 08-27-2001).]

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thansk Bob for your input. It seems that the internal down-scaling(720p/1080i to XGA) is better than up-scaling (480i/480p to XGA). I've watched HDTV 1080i and 720p on LT150. I prefered 1080i. But the video source was different. 720p was showing movies while 1080i was showing concerts. So it may not be fair for comparison. Do you think 720p or 1080i is better?

Have you tried DVD->HTPC/video processor->XGA/SXGA/720p/1080i->LT150?

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
I totally agree with BOB.

I watch alot of HDTV with the LT150 and am totally impressed with the PQ.

I too do not see a big difference between 720P & 1080I. I prefer 1080I to 720P only 'cause in 720P the picture size reduces just a tadbit.

BOB,

I'm wondering since you have both the HDTV and HTPC...I'd love to hear your comparisons between both.

I'd appreciate any comments from you re: the above subject.

Many thanks in advance

Regards,

·
Registered
653 Posts
Bob, are you able to fill the entire panel when watching 4:3 material in 1080i or 720P? I'm using a DTC-100 and the LT150 seems to only be set for displaying widescreen material at 1080i or 540p. Because the DTC-100 uses RGB, I have no aspect ratio control.

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
Fatshaft,

There have been occasions when a DVD transfer is particularly good and I'm using my HTPC and a highly tweaked CRT projector that for all intents and purposes it looks about as good to me as 1080i. I imagine others will cringe when they read this but that's what my eyes see.

pham,

You know I rarely ever watch 4:3 material when using my Dish box so I'm really not sure. Others should be able to give you the answer to this now. If not I'm going to be demoing my LT150 for someone later today. I'll be comparing both the RGB and component from the Dish 6000 then so I'll have a look.

Bob

------------------

~ The Sultan of Cheap ~

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Rob,

Thanks for your response

Pham,

I recently just changed my RGB to RGB connection to Component to RGB (Homemade, can't find any here and are also way too expensive...very easy to do.)

There's a big difference connecting form Component out to rgb vs rgb to rgb. (BellExvu model 6000)

You get way less shaking in the image.

You get aspect ratio control

You get more control overall of the unit. (Color...etc.)

Yes, the picture does look better...just the fact that it took that stupid jittering effect off made all the difference in the world.

Kind regards,

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
CKL,

I have connected my RCA DTC-100 to the LT-150 and it looks quite good. The DTC-100 only does 1080i, so I can't compare with 720p, but I have been quite pleased with the HD picture quality so far. The only downside that I've seen is that I can't find a way to output the HD picture in 4:3 format (using the full panel resolution)for use with my 16:9 lens.

Bob,

The best 16:9 DVDs made from 1080p masters can look fantastic when scaled up to native projector resolution with a HTPC. The HD version of the same movie is always visibly better looking to me, but many of the best looking DVDs can approach the HD quality of more average HD film transfers shown in 1080i.

-Dean.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.