AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question: i've watched several movies on my lt150 and yesterday I tried to watch the phantom menace and the matrix. I thought both were not very good PQ.

Is it my setup or just the movies themselves?

in TPM, is it a bad transfer or are the scenes so detailed that the HTPC cannot sufficiently render everything and therefore that particular movie exaggerates the weaknesses of a DLP projection?

my setup: typical htpc with radeon

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
More info please: what refresh rate (60Hz or 72Hz is best for LT150), what software player (ATI should be best for Radeon), 32 bit color mode, try 7199 beta drivers for overlay controls of Radeon. TPM and Matrix is known to be poor transfer quality. Try a better transfer movie like Superbit 5th Element. The Matrix is a great movie but PJ torture test due to high action, dark scenes, and poor transfer.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I was surprised how good the matrix looked on my LT-150, radeon, ati dvd player.

It does have alot of far away views of faces, etc. This is where the pixel size of the lt-150 raises it's head to me. Far away faces lack detail.

Is that what you are seeing, or is it something else?

Best Regards,

Doug

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Win 2k latest drivers, ATI AIW, latest SB live 5.1 drivers, ATI player 7.1

Other movies such as fifth element are superb.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I thought TPM looked stunning- my setup is lt150, 120" dalite hipower, HTPC running XP, Radeon LE, 72Hz refresh, silver serpent RGB cable. Matrix on the other hand was very dark, as was Blade Runner, havent' tried Dark city yet- here we watched in Gamma 2 even though gamma 1 yields better ratio, because blacks are blacker in 2- it was acceptable but not as clear as a CRT. TPM was very bright and colorful, vivid I think it's a fine transfer.

In contrast of course, 5th element superbit is just the best looking thing I have displayed. 5th element remains my visual demo, while TPM is my new sound demo (even though no DTS, the 5.1 track and LFE is really well done)

-Ben

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also, I am running at 70hz. I can't get the lt150 to do 72.

I did notice something on a few movies usually in fast up and down pans. I would see a small area for a split second where it appeared as every other line was missing.

Also, there were some scenes in TPM that were great but many of them were blurry like. highly pixelated. And forget about it in scenes where the sky was involved or someone was looking out of the window.

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
TPM is a bad dvd with tons of EE, grainy images and a cooked down dolby digital.

the laserdisc gives a workout to the dvd :D

we had extensive discussions on this in the soft section

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
TPM does have a ton of Edge Enhancement; however, many have liked the dolby digital.

the reason faces far away don't have any detail is that DVD is only 720*480!!.

DVD shouldn't be viewed any closer than 1.5X your screen width.

-Mr. Wigggles

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
cool,

I just wanted to make sre it wasn't my system.

How about that on a few movies (such as desperado superbit, etc.) usually in fast up and down pans:

I would see a small area for a split second where it appeared as every other line was missing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.