AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this little guy is so tiny, it is not even funny!

shown for comparison of scale purpose:

- 1 Sony VPL 400 LCD projector

- 1 Maine Coone 9lb cat

Maybe a CRT owner can post a pic too (will need a St. Bernard dog for scale?) http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

ps: the cat's favorite HT movie is GUMBY, THE MOVIE (i guess the little gumby critters resemble mice as they scurry about)

http://homepage.mac.com/zoom/LT150Sony400.jpg

[This message has been edited by bossmonkey (edited 08-18-2001).]

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
i found the pdf for the free leather bag, but i didn't see one for the cat. do you go thru NEC for this, or was this just Dell?

when does it have to be postmarked by?

did they give you any tracking or shipping info for the cat or did it just show up on your doorstep?

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Very nice Maine **** cat. You can teach them how to run the projector, you know. They're smarter than we are. Trust me on this, I have two, a grey and a red.

Problem is the hair will plug up your projector.

Dan

·
Registered
728 Posts
"i found the pdf for the free leather bag, but i didn't see one for the cat. do you go thru NEC for this, or was this just Dell?"

The Cat is in the Bag.

Or the Cat is not in the Bag.

The Cat is alive or dead. Any attempt to open the Bag will kill the cat.

I quite like the included fabric bag. There's enough extra space for an svideo cable, a VGA to Component dongle, and a Lexar USB Jumpshot CF reader. And the little pocket next to the remote holds two CF cards.

Since we're being ridiculous, let me point out a few things about the LT150 that many may not be aware of...

There is no air filter. Although it mars the elegant lines of the case, the air inlet side should have some filter material rubber banded to it. Your optics will thank you when there are smokers or active fireplaces or barbecues around, or you are projecting at the beach.

The CF card reader function works quite well. Several members have downplayed this feature, but it is fun to run a slideshow while setting up, and waiting for people to settle down, before the show. You can (easily) have up to 11 folders with 128 JPEG images each. The Lexar 48Mb USB enabled CF card and read-writer is currently $60 at CompUSA; cheaper on the 'net.

You can replace the NEC logo with any JPEG, as long as it's less than 64K. I use a shot I took last Christmas of a meadow near my house. It's more than sharp enough to set focus and screen fill. Talking of which, you can choose from "logos" in the setup menu on the fly, so you can use a simple image editing software to create logos of various aspect ratios, (Save by pixel.), or make color charts to setup brightness, contrast, gamma, etc., for various gains and surfaces. (I have Dutch Boy Ultra Gloss Enamel, matte white, and peach, I'll work on beige tonight.)

BTW, you don't need to use the included software, or even a PC; I did all this on a Mac.

I have a few more Stupid LT150 Tricks and hacks coming up, such as how to turn an old Mac VGA adapter into a component to VGA adapter, how to sraighten out the CF socket pins after putting the CF card in sideways in the dark, a disposable hushbox, ColorSync profiles... (Hey! I plugged this thing into a Mac Cube, and the Monitors control panel identified it, and had a ColorSync profile ready! _How_ did it know???)

More to come.

apg

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
apg,

Disposal hushbox? Don't keep us in suspense with that one.

Inquiring minds want to know.

Bob

------------------

~ The Sultan of Cheap ~

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DanHouck:

Problem is the hair will plug up your projector.

Dan [/b]
That would be a CATastrophe!

------------------

Joe

My current idea of the best value:

Boxlight 38t

Quadscan Elite

Panasonic RP91

RCA DTC-100

Da-Lite 100" 4:3 1.3gain

Studio Experience SE616's

and some other stuff.

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Robert,

It's a combination disposable hushbox and litter box

for the cat projectionist.

Cats used to love TVs when they were filled with

dozens of vacuum tubes. On top of the TV was a

real cozy spot.

I bet the cats were disappointed with the advent of

solid state electronics in TVs. I'll bet they're

happy now with the increasing popularity of projectors.

On top of a hushboxed D-ILA would seem to be a new

favorite spot.

Yes - that is a pretty Maine ****.

Greg

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
According to the picture, It is just impossible to believe that the LT150 is far better than the Sony. Actually, the LT150 looks like a cheap toy, whereas the Sony looks like a high-end piece of equipment I'd be honored to own. Ironically, the opposite is true.

·
Registered
873 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by RobertWood:
apg,

Disposal hushbox? Don't keep us in suspense with that one.

Inquiring minds want to know.

Bob

Perhaps an empty kitty litter box??
http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

Oops, someone beat me to this joke!

------------------

Robert

[This message has been edited by Saxon Violins (edited 08-18-2001).]

·
Registered
728 Posts
"Disposal hushbox? Don't keep us in suspense with that one.

Inquiring minds want to know."

Actually, it's a modified $1.99 styrofoam cooler. I found one with flat, rather than stepped sides. I cut the cover and molded it to the right side of the LT150, to act as a cold air plenum, and lined the left exhaust side of the cooler with cardboard cut from a Hawaiian Punch twelvepack. I then cut a slot in the back for cables and the IR port.

It's pretty silent from the sides and back, but, of course, louder in the front. Given the short throw of the projector, not much of an issue.

I wouldn't trust it on a hot day, but luckily styrofoam starts to smell pretty bad before it starts to melt.

apg

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
apg,

Sure would like to see a couple of pictures of it if you have a digital camera.

Thanks,

Bob

------------------

~ The Sultan of Cheap ~

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.