AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I've had my 150 for a couple of weeks now. I wanted to wait a bit before posting my thoughts. As this is my first projector I wanted to get past the initial - WOW! look how big the picture is! phase. This would allow me to make a more objective review.

First off - many thanks are in order. Grant Smyth for his infectious enthusiasm and continuous flogging of this little projector. Grant your posts were great and your enthusiasm infectious. You made me reconsider my initial strategy of moving to a 16:9 HDTV.

Coupled with Grant's posts where those done by Tom LaStrange. Tom has done a great job testing various screen materials and posting his results. The pictures you took were very telling. A very thorough job! Additionally the links he set up on his site nicely captured all the information about the 150 in one location. Thanks Tom.

Based on Grant and Tom's input I went for Dalite Hi-Power screen.

More thanks must go to this site for their tolerance in letting a bunch of us newbies come in and basically swamped the board with LT150 posts. Also to the owners of this site. It must have been frustrating for them to see so much business being directed to another company. We were using this board to monitor our progress and compare notes.

Thanks to Alan et all!

My setup consists of a 60 x 80 Dalite Hi-Power Model B manual pull down screen. The LT150 is ~ 12 ft back. The projector is setup to run from the floor underneath the coffee table. Viewing positions are arranged around the projector and coffee table. Normally my wife and I are seated behind the projector.

Projector fan/colour wheel noise is noticeable but is not distracting and once the movie starts is a non-issue.

The HT is setup down in the basement and ambient light control is not an issue. That said - my preference is to have the room lights off or almost dim during viewing. I find the picture's vibrancy suffers quickly when any lights are on. The Hi-Power screen picks up stray light very easily.

As for the screen itself - we are very pleased with the image! The picture intensity is consistent across the screen. No hotspotting is apparent.

Right now the 150 is mated with a Panny RP91 progressive scan player. Important settings used on the RP91 are:

Display type: LCD projector - there is no DLP option. The other choices - TV, RPTV, and CRT would seem to be poorer choices.

Black level - set to darker.

Video settings:

Picture set to User settings - all values at zero.

Transfer Mode: Auto2 - does the best job of interpreting video mode and producing a clean interlaced picture. I have seen no artifacts or any other types of video noise.

Picture quality obviously varies with the source material. It can range from stunning 3D of a Toy Story/2, Dinosaur movie to a more video look from older movies. Recent pictures ie within the 2-3 years usually can hold the 3D illusion. Unbreakable, Sixth Sense, Mask of Zorro, Crouching Tiger/Hidden Dragon,Mission Impossible 2 all look great. Lawrence of Arabia, any of the Alien movies have a flatter more video feel.

Colour levels are very realistic. The opening sequences and club scene of Austin Powers display vibrant colours. In fairness, I demoed a NEC 540 and the colours were probably better. The tradeoff there was of course the contrast level. Here the 150 won hands down.

Black levels. This is one I'm still struggling with understanding. Watching movies like Dark City, Crouching Tiger/Hidden Dragon, Blade etc. - the blacks sure look black. In CTHD the fight scenes at night show great for me. In fact the picture from the 150 during these scenes is much better than the one my 50' RPTV was able to produce. Note - both TV and projector were calibrated using AVIA.

Rainbows - apparently I am immune Yay!! I might have seen instances of it on the Special Features from a DVD of a video taped interview. The interviewee occasionally moved his head quickly and I thought I saw something around his eyes that looked like a light flash. But that's been it! Needless to say I am very happy about this!

I have not mentioned rainbows to my friends and none have commented on it.

Other video sources such as cable, video, and laser disc are a mixed bag. Running them through my SVHS JVC VCR produces better results using svideo than running them directly to the projector. I don't have access to HDTV. Given the amount of HDTV programming available I don't feel the need to rush out and get it yet.

Things left to be done. Masking for the screen and HTPC. Masking will happen shortly. I used mattes on my RPTV and realize the benefits of doing this. HTPC is down the road. I will eventually be moving my PC downstairs and will try it out at that time.

What more can I say! I've posted this before but it bears repeating - for the first time I feel like I have true Home Theatre! This just too cool! Even my wife - who hasn't really found all my other previous HT endeavours worthwhile - has commented on how amazing the picture looks.

Once again thanks to everyone here for your help! A great forum with great people!

CYA at the movies!

------------------

Every man is my superior, in that I may learn from him.

[This message has been edited by Lou Sytsma (edited 08-26-2001).]

·
Registered
363 Posts

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Miles.

Actually - if memory serves - I believe it was the other way around. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

------------------

·
Registered
733 Posts
Thanks Lou,

Your post helps make all of my "flogging" seem worthwhile. I would like to thank Randy Morton for encouraging me to keep "flogging" this little projector and for helping to keep my moral up by posting the first LT150 pics. He also allowed me to have my Dell LT150 sent to his U.S. address and then he forwarded it on to me. Thanks also to Tom for posting my pics and to Lurker #25 for the LT150 Index - the ultimate LT150 reference site. I should also mention Steve Dodds, Darian, PaulM, Yahoo, Sergio and James Freeman and thank them (and many others) for their encouragement and comments during the last few months.

The motivation behind all the "flogging" was to encourage HT enthusiasts, especially those on "limited" budgets to at least have a look at this little thing. There is no doubt in my mind that this projector coupled with a HTPC (or good proscan DVD player)+ Da-lite Hipower + a masking system will give the good HT projectors a run for their money at much less cost. Apparently Thumper has measured contrast ratios at 1000:1 with the white segment on and 600:1 with it off!!! This gives this little thing, when set up properly, a crispness and punch that is tough to beat - oops there I go "flogging" again.

Lou, when your masking system is in place you WILL notice an improvement and I encourage everyone with any type of projector to experiment with a masking system and to also "deaden" your walls, ceiling and floor.

This projector obviously isn't for everyone, but if you're in the market for a HT system and the price of HT projectors makes you feel like you've just been kicked in the head then give the above mentioned system a look.

When I see picutures of some of the beautiful HTs that many of you have I get a little down about my own. Let me tell you my HT is a horror show - cables and equipment all over the place (hardly a place to sit), but I love moving new equipment in for a look so I guess that's the way it's going to be, at least for awhile. The good news is that once the lights go out you're transported to another world.

Cheers,

Grant

·
Registered
363 Posts
Lou,

I certainly am in your debt for the LT 150... You saved me several 1000's of dollars since I would have probably purchased a dreamvision lighty...

Miles

------------------

My System Config

·
Registered
118 Posts
Lou,

Very well said. Grant's posts initially caught my attention and then, due to this board, I got wind of the Dell deal and took the plunge. Tom's excellent LT150 page was a big help. Like you, I have the LT150 hooked up to a RP91 (same settings), projecting on a DaLite HighPower Model B - 57x77 (purchased from AVScience, thanks Jason) and am very happy with the image. I have settled back and enjoyed the LT150 the past few weeks and will build an HTPC more out of curiosity than need. Again, excellent post and special thanks to Grant, Tom, and this board.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Grant - you can consider your mission accomplished!

I am totally impressed with this little dynamo.

BTW - did you try your RP91 with the settings I suggested?

Do you still prefer the 5109?

Thanks again!

------------------

·
Registered
733 Posts
Lou, I tried your setting with the RP91 and I am getting better results - change from CRT setting to LCD and took out the grey scale boost. I also changed to a single run of cable and this might have been causing the pixelization problem. The vendor has agreed to exchange my unit so I will try this as well - chance to try another unit.

Take a look at LI On's post with respect to his CRT and the LT150.

Cheers,

Grant

·
Registered
267 Posts
Thanks Lou,

Your setup sounds exactly like mine (80x60 high power, under the coffee table).

With the recent Powerstrip settings posted here, I'm considering masking my screen to 16:9 since I view 16:9 DVD's 99% of the time.

------------------

Tom L.

NEC LT150 FAQ

My stuff, pictures, HTPC, and screen tests

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Grant I read Li On's post - most impressive! Not having seen a CRT it's still nice to know that the 150 is able to impress CRT owners.

In a couple of years I bet digital projection will be able to step up to even footing with the CRTs. I'll be ready to make that step when it comes!

Tom - definitely mask it make's a big difference!

------------------

·
Registered
807 Posts
Hi Lou

I am at a similar point. What's your masking strategy? I am looking at roller blinds top and bottom with brackets at various aspect ratio heights to hold dowels encased in the bottom edge of the blinds. The blinds will be hidden in valences at the top and bottom of the screens when not extended. Not sure if this will work yet; still working on some details.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi Smyth22.

Not sure about my masking strategy yet. Right now toying with black curtains on the sides. Maybe run a black shower curtain off the railing for the curtains some way. Looking for help from my SO on this one.

------------------

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.