Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I been comparing the NEC LT150, VT540 and Mitsubishi's

Diamond series of RPTVs. I noticed on all the forums how

everyone has been giving good reviews on the LT150, but I

wanted to know how much you would spend on maintaince of

it. I found out the the bulb only lasts 1000 hours and

costs ~560.00. I know that RPTV also required the bulbs to

be replaced over time(not sure how long), but also required

maintaince(I heard of convergence, not sure what else).

In terms of cost over the long run, would a LT150 cost more to own than a RPTV?(What is the cost?) Or should I look into the VT540 which has a bulb life of 2000 hours? So much information out there, and I'm not quite sure how to go about. Could someone fill me in on these questions? Recommendations? In case it helps I would be putting setting

this up in a room that is 11' by 12'(it is a loft area).

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
If your going to use it heavy for TV the Mit's is way cheap to operate with little or no maintenance. And by the way they don't have bulbs they have CRT's. However, on the negative side the Mit's is a widescreen CRT type RPTV. Viewing a lot of standard 4:3 material will burn image lines on both sides of the screen. To avoid this, they have special enhancing modes such as stretch and zoom to try to fill the whole wide screen to prevent burn-in. I find viewing in these enhanced modes very distracting. Also, Video games are a no no for the Mits.

My solution was to keep my 27 inch TV for watching 90% of the trash on TV and use my LT150 for movies and othe special features. I'm building my HT room with a TV in the wall unit, the theatre screen will pull down in front of the TV. Also, I believe the bulbs for the LT150 can be had for around $400 if you catch Dell's 20% sale. The bulb is the only maintenance item.

jon

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would be playing movies mainly, with an a very little

if any tv. I have a PC that has HTPC hardware, so it would be nice to also surf the web once in a while(even play some games). I currently have a surround sound setup, but a small tv, so I wanted to get a bigger screen. Also isn't CRTs just big bulbs(one for Red, green, and blue) ?

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
I have both a mitsu 609 and a projector. The 609 is easer you just wheel it in and plug it in. If you want to tweek it you get a dvd and do a converance it's pretty stright foward and dosn't have to be done much if even at all. The contrast ratio is grate and ambioant light is not a big issue.

The projector on the other hand need to be mounted, cables have to be run these are not cheep. You need a sound system. You have to buy a screen, I tried do it your self screens they can be good but youo never know you may as well spend th $500+ on a fixed screen. It is more expensive to run and you have to deal with these things just are more problmic than tv with dead/stuck pixles etc.

With that being said. The projector is awesome. Given the choice of what to watch a movie on the projector wins. 100" with it being projected from a ray of light behind you gives that movie feeling and takes no floor space very clean and an awesome wow factor.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.