Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Masters,

Probably a newbie question, but I can't seem to find the info by doing a search.

When I go into 'advanced settings', and into 'resolution' it gives me two choices; auto(i think) and 'native'. Switching to 'native' gives me a rather small picture with apparantly better resolution(maybe because the size is smaller that I am getting this effect?)

When do I use either modes? Please, explain in plain simple language, as if to a 5 year old.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
ok...i'm a newbie at this too, but from the best i can make out- this projectors resoultion is 1xxx x 7xx, and a dvd image , for example, is 640 x 480.

640 x 480 sits inside that 1xxx x 7xx area so it looks smaller, but finer because the pixels are being projected 1 for 1 (native).

when the image is scaled up to acommodate the panel of the pj, it has to scale ( interpolate...guess) to fill in the spaces. you get a bigger image, because the full panel of the pj is being used, but it isn't a 'truer' image. its a guesstimate at how the image should look. i, and everyone i've shown it to so far, find it to be a pretty decent job as far as scaling goes. but native mode is unscaled and therefore, technically 'truer' to the source, which contributes to the impression of a sharper, finer picture.

to get the same size in native mode, however, you would need to back the pj up quite a bit and spread those 640 x 480 pixels over a lareger area, which would increase the screendoor.

so i would say if you have a smaller sized screen you can go native, but if you have a larger screen set it to auto.

for the avs intelligensia: how'd i do?

·
Registered
227 Posts
No, because then you're only using half of your projector's capable resolution. There is a good reason to scale, and that is to take advantage of the high resolution of the projector (not to mention the full light output, half of which you would lost by using Native and moving the projector back). This is a bad idea for precisely the same reason that using an anamorphic lense is a good idea - whenever possible, use all of the lumens and resolution that your projector can offer!

·
Registered
855 Posts
You did pretty well for a self described "new-bie-an". http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

The "native" mode takes the picture at whatever resolution it comes in and displays it. If you have a PC hooked up to the projector, you can set the output of the graphics card to VGA (640x480), SVGA(800x600) or XGA(1024x768) and they will display in a 1-1 pixel correspondance.

The "auto" mode does indeed scale all inputs to the size of the panel (1024x768).

In my opinion, the "right" answer is to use auto mode if you don't have an external scaler or HTPC. If you have an external scaler or HTPC, use native mode and set the ouput of the scaler/HTPC to 1024x768.

If you choose to move the projector further from the screen and only use the VGA portion (640x480) of the output, you will see MUCH more screen door at compareable screen sizes. You will also reduce the light output by ~66%.

There are exceptions to EVERY rule and YMMV. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------

Huck

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
The native mode may be useful when using a 16:9 screen. It places a 4:3 image almost precisely in the middle of the screen so you needn't move the projector around when switching between anamorphic and normal images.

Steve

------------------
Steve's Stuff

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.