AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received my Whisperflow hushbox from Dave Beatty this past Friday and thought I might post some pictures for the benefit of this forum.

Top view:
http://iacl.ece.jhu.edu/~pham/ht/whisper_top.jpg

Front view:
http://iacl.ece.jhu.edu/~pham/ht/whisper_front.jpg

Side view:
http://iacl.ece.jhu.edu/~pham/ht/whisper_side.jpg

Back view:
http://iacl.ece.jhu.edu/~pham/ht/whisper_back.jpg

The enclosure is about 17"x18"x9.5". The projector is mounted on top of three long screws that allows for very convenient tilt adjustment. Four screws are used on the front plate to open up the enclosure. It is necessary to use something to prop up the enclosure itself like the wooden blocks that I use. Dave provides a circular piece of Edmund Industrial optical glass to place over the gap in the front but does not install it beforehand since some may not want to use it. I found that covering the front area did not make much of a difference in noise if you sit behind the projector as I do. There is a T-shaped shelf within the enclosure and an opening in the back of the bottom plate to allow cables to pass through.

Overall, I found the build quality to be very good, and the noise of the projector has been reduced to about 1/3 to 1/2 of the noise level without a hushbox. Unfortunately, it is below the threshold of my SPL meter (50dB) so I can't do any measurements. Since I sit so close to the projector, it's still audible and perhaps there are some things I can do with the provided acoustic foam that might improve things further (any tips would be appreciated).

The enclosure uses a Sunon fan that is very quiet and uses a variable voltage AC adapter to control the speed. Even at the full 12 volts, the fan is barely audible. The right side of the enclosure does get warm to the touch during the viewing of a movie. I found that most of the noise escaping the enclosure is actually coming through the fan area. Because of the clear plexiglass, there were obviously no problems controlling the projector with my remote while inside.

Total price including shipping was $425.00. Wait time was about 3-4 weeks and Dave was pleasant to deal with. For those that got in on the Dell deal, an LT150+whisperflow is still below the price you'd pay today from most places to get an LT150. Overall, I'm very satisfied with the purchase.

[This message has been edited by pham (edited 09-04-2001).]

·
Registered
813 Posts
I was wondering, considering it's plexiglass (reflective)wouldn't the enclosure benefit from lining the interior with sound deadening material ? I'm guessing the sound level would be further diminished. Some questions: Have you by chance measured the temperature inside the box ? How heavy is the box ?

------------------

Sergio R.

[This message has been edited by LMDA1 (edited 09-04-2001).]

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good questions. As I mentioned, some acoustic foam is provided (it's underneath the enclosure in the pictures). But I haven't decided where to strategically place it so as not to interfere with IR signals while still reducing the noise. I have not measured the temperature inside the box. Do you or anyone else have a recommendation as what kind of thermometer to use for that purpose? I also don't know the weight. That's a question for Dave. I know that he does make a ceiling mount version of the enclosure.

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Hi,

Thanks for your comments on the new mini hushbox for the LT 150. Looking forward to viewing more pictures (some ceiling mounted versions). By the way, the mini hushbox inside dimensions are 16"w x 11" d x 7"h. I'm glad we were able to reduce your noise by 2/3rds. The weight of the box is around 12lbs.

Dave
www.whisperflow.com

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
pham, you can get a good accurate probe-type dial thermometer at an appliance parts store. These are commonly used for assessing the performance of air conditioning and heating systems. A good one will be less than $10.

Gary

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Hi,

Please note that the Edmund Glass is not yet inserted into the front panel. We shipped the glass non-inserted to prevent damage. The front panel is provided with a grove for the glass.

Best wishes with your home theaters!

Dave

·
Registered
93 Posts
Does this unit utilize an air filter for removing dust from the incoming air? I guess the air intake is that rectangular opening at the the bottom, correct?

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The air intake is on the bottom panel like you thought, and you're right, there is no air filter. I suppose it would not be at all difficult to place an air filter there, the same kind used in window a/c units. You could simply stretch it across the bottom plate and use the weight of the enclosure to hold it still. I still think that the enclosure will reduce the amount dust contamination even without the filter.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.