AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems that the NEC LT150 is having best recommendation from most of you. I need however to have a unit with a zoom (I need to use it in two rooms with different set up conditions).

Is there a projector similar in quality to the LT150 but with a zoom ?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Hi Regis, this was my point for the Plus Piano as well. I would also like to hear from the experts on this one..... so far it looks like you have to move up to the seleco or the new sharp if you want the same/similar quality dlp picture and a zoom function.

cheers

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Do you think that once the LT150Z hit the market, NEC will discontinue the LT150 ?. The ZOOM feature has nothing to do with quality, it will only serve as an excuse for NEC to get the prices high again.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The 150z may be a good option but it may take a long time before it is available (at a reasonable price).

I was wondering if their is any other choice available today on the market ?

By the way, as a new member, let me say how much I am impressed by the quality of this forum and by the level of information it provides. Big thanks to all the active members.

Regards

Regis

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
At about $2300, the LT150 is the king of value. At this price point, there are no real contenders. Sadly, in the near future I don't see anything better brought to us.

I am starting to believe that if you are on a budget and care about quality, the LT150 is the ONLY choice, and probably will be for the next 12 months. If it wasn't for its rainbows and relatively loud noise, I would have been happy too.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Gary,

before i bought my NEC (all hail the King of Value!), i was expecting my first projector to be an LCD, for exactly the reasons you mentioned.

i think of all the flaws you find in this price range, that the 'weaker' blacks of LCDs will be the easiest to find a solution for.

-gamma tweaks

-colored photographic filters

-grey screens.

screendoor, however is another matter, and i think i'm one of the only ones to see it on this dlp. i can only imagine what it would be like on an lcd.

but i definately would rather have problems with weaker blacks than anything else since this can be improved in a number of simple ways.

fortunately, this hand-wringing decision btwn formats, was made moot by the insane price i was able to get it at.

and, 'bows and all, i've really come to love the little rascal.

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Garry,

Projector Central wrote:
Quote:
The VT540 vs. the LT150. If you can stretch your budget another $1,000 or so you can get the LT150, the next "highly recommended" product in line with respect to price. The LT150 is rated a bit less in ANSI lumens at 800, but that is not a significant difference. Particularly since the LT150 delivers a contrast of 800:1, or double that of the VT540.

The LT150 has a fixed lens vs the VT540's zoom. But this is not an issue in most home theaters once you ceiling mount the projector. You just need to be more precise in mounting the LT150. The LT150 is the same XGA resolution, but due to its DLP technology, pixels are entirely invisible. NEC's VORTEX image enhancement system is on board the LT150 as well. Both have the same variety of controls related to red, green, and blue channels, gamma, and color temperature. Overall, if you can take the step up to the LT150 financially, you will be rewarded with a notably superior image in terms of contrast and pixel-free imagery.
This was back then when the LT150 cost more than the VT540.

Haven't you noticed the more apparent screen door effect with the VT540 in comparison to the LT150 ?.

[This message has been edited by Jones_Rush (edited 08-17-2001).]

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
Of course I noticed the screen door. But it is entirely invisible beyond 1.5 screen widths on any XGA projector I've ever seen (SVGA is another story). I've read the reviews at Projector Central, since long before buying my current projector. FYI the menu systems and tweeks for the two NEC projectors are extremely similar - but having the same adjustment feature does not guarantee that the image has the same range of adjustability. I tweeked both projectors using AVIA on a HTPC and (to my eyes) achieved better results from the VT540 from my normal viewing position about 1.7 screen widths away, using a matte white screen in a room with some ambient light. The great tie-breaker was my daughter found it painfull to watch "Gladiator" on the LT150 - moving objects in the brightly lit arena scenes produced rainbows galore (that I couldn't see at all). Having a family member or even a guest that is sensitive to rainbows will spoil an entire evening of home theater viewing.

The great weakness of all single-chip DLPs is the color wheel. Purely and simply, the LT150 colors wash out in comparison to the VT540, even though you have discrete brightness and contrast settings for R, G, and B in both projector menus. I speculate this is because each color wheel segment is only illuminated about 25% of the time (with the clear segment off). The strobing colors also cause artifacts on moving objects, the most common is the rainbow on high contrast areas of the image, but you will also see distracting moire patterns when there is an image containing near-horizontal elements (like the empty stadium scenes in "Any Given Sunday"). Finally, to my eyes motion on the DLP is just not as fluid as a CRT or LCD, I'm not sure why but it may have something to do with rhe way the refresh rates and color wheel RPM interact.

FYI, the best setup projector I saw in a showroom was another LCD model, the Sharp DW100U, at LaserLand in Cupertino. It may well not have been a fair comparison because the Sharp factory rep had just tweeked it and did the demo. However, I didn't have $10,000 to spend either.

Bottom line is, you owe it to yourself to audition all the projector technologies before choosing. I was fortunate to find a dealer with loaner projectors, and closeby there are a couple of local high-end A/V stores where you can compare projector models. I also used to have a CRT projector in my former home. The CRT projector would be my choice now if it were not for the fact that my current home has an open floor plan and will have imperfect ambient light control in the daytime. DLPs are not best for everyone.

Gary

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
There is no question LCD is good and has potential. But the day I'll buy a LCD pj will be the day a pj like the Sanyo PLC-XP21N hit the $3000 mark. Then, I guess, we'll have a new king of value. Most chances are, that it won't happen at the near future (ie, probably 1-2 years from now).

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
Jones_rush,

I agree with your sentiments about the LT150 being the current value leader.

However, I don't know that we can project that statement forward as long as a year. This field is changing very dynamically, and there are a number of contenders that could challenge the LT150 for value. For example, the new Infocus LP530, now streeting for about 3700 even before it is available, could become a challenge to the "value king" status of the 150.

Time marches on.

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
According to its spec's, the Infocus LP530 doesn't seem like an improvement over the LT150. With only 400:1 contrast ratio, 39db of noise and claims from Infocus that the LP530 "is not intended as a product for the home theater market", I don't see how the LP530 can be taken too seriously. (I really hope that subjective tests will prove me wrong, but I won't keep my hopes too high)

[This message has been edited by Jones_Rush (edited 08-17-2001).]

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
I suggest that you widen your search parameters slightly. Specificly I would suggest you consider LCD projectors like the NEC VT540. I evaluated both the LT150 and the VT540 and tweeked both and picked the VT540 because of the rich colors, slightly higher brightness, and lack of the rainbow artifact (which I could not see but my daughter, and up to about 15% of any random audience will see).

The visible tradeoff for me was loss of some shadow detail in dark scenes, versus richer, better saturated colors and brightness on bright scenes. No contest, the typical movie has far more such bright scenes than dark ones. The VT540 also has 400:1 contrast which is exceptionally good for an LCD, the equal of many DLPs. A refurbished VT540 is below $3000. Like you, I needed the zoom feature which the VT540 has.

There are also any number of used projectors listed at: http://www.projectorcentral.com/home.cfm

.... including the occasional low-hours DiLA under $5000.

Gary

[This message has been edited by Gary McCoy (edited 08-17-2001).]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.