AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so from reading all of the posts here, it sounds like the LT150 is the projector of choice for most people.

I only have two problems with the projector;

1. Lumens: I have a moderately lit room. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/frown.gif

2. Zoom control: My project MUST be mounted in one and only one location. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/frown.gif http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/frown.gif

Is the LT150 just completely out of the question? If so, what other DLP/LCP projectors match the LT150 in specs, but with brighter lumens and some sort of zoom control.

Also, if I wait a bit, does NEC plan to come out with a replacement for the LT150? Possibly with brighter lumens and zoom control?

ANY AND ALL INPUT GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!!

-timmy

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
For the 2K price range it is very good PJ. If you're willing to spend more there are better, brighter units out there Sanyo LCD XGA line of light cannons (2000+ lumens XP18 or 21), Infocus 2000 lumens DLP's (LP530), NEC LT155 (LCD XGA, MLA, 1200 lumens, zoom), LT156 (LT155 with DVI input). The 16:9 native panels dedicated HT projectors are very nice too for some more dough :)

------------------

Huey ;-]

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Another question:

If I buy another lens, is it possible I'll be able to control the zoom to fit the screen from an unusual throw distance?

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

-timmy

·
Registered
31 Posts
Timmydot,

You can always wait for the LT150z, which I hear is suppose to have a zoom lens. Who knows, NEC may even up the lumens.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
You know, I commonly use my LT150 in a lit room during parties. I just turn the white segment back on. Works quite well although I would suggest the new Infocus LP530 for lit rooms. It has alot more brightness from reports.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmmm... I might be inclined to wait for the LT150z. I just spoke to NEC and they said they will be ready to ship the first week of November.

Notable upgrades include brighter lumens (1000 ANSI lumens) as well as the introduction of a manual zoom lens.

I think this will be exactly the beast I'm looking for, assuming it's not priced astronomically more than the LT150.

But, if anyone has any other opinions, I'm still up for them.

-timmy

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Well, another option is a used NEC LT100, which will offer XGA resolution, manual zoom and 1000 lumens as well. Plus, ghibliss can calibrate the gamma tables in the LT100 to be optimal for home theater use. An LT100 can also do the 16x9 squeeze on both RGB and component sources.

A used Plus UP-1100 will have similar capabilities (including custom gamma calibration), but its built-in scaler may be slightly inferior to the NEC's.

Looks like prices have dropped quite a bit for these lately... the last one on eBay sold for under $1000, yet performance-wise they nearly match the LT150.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Boy that's the big question. What will the price be for the LT150Z when it hits the street? Anybody care to make a guess?

That's the first I heard of November, NEC was saying October for the LT150Z.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I agree with Mark's suggestion regarding the NEC LT100. The one on Ebay didn't actually sell for under $1,000, it's just that the bid only went to $995 -- the reserve price wasn't met but who knows, maybe the seller sold it anyway.

I just recently got my LT100 off an Ebay auction where the seller was getting rid of it for his employer's closed down training center. The reserve price wasn't met, and he sold it to me for $1200, with about 115 hours on the lamp. I'd say for half the cost of the LT150 I did quite well. Plus, it does HDTV.

Having said that, there's one at projector central for $1600.

------------------

Steve

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm getting worried about price of the LT150z now. Has anyone in this group heard ANY info about possible MSRP/street prices on this unit when it's released? I mean how much more can just a zoom lens and 200 more lumens cost???

I don't want to wait only to find out it's going to cost $4000, when I could get one without zoom (which I really do need.) for $2000. Anyone know of any replacement/optional zoom lens for the LT150???

-timmy

·
Premium Member
24,992 Posts
Seems like I remember that it would be at least $4K, and that the replacements bulbs were going to be very pricey as well.

------------------

Noah

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
My guess is the improved brightness results from that new lens assembly - I see no reason why they needed to change the bulb or color wheel or DLP micro-mirror assembly, unless they want to take a crack at minimizing rainbows, which would be a good thing. If the same bulb is used it would mean that one bulb model is shared between LT85/LT150/LT150z, a good thing that (long term) should lower bulb cost and extend bulb availability.

I can't conclusively tell from the picture whether the zoom is motorized or manual, but if motorized, I would expect an extra $400 for that feature alone - but loads of extra convenience including the ability to use a hushbox. But I suspect the zoom is manual because of the way the case has been recessed around the lens. The whole thing looks a little larger as well (hard to tell inside that glass bowl, though).

Looks interesting - I'll be sniffing around the local NEC distributor to see if they have a loaner around December. Of course, I previously borrowed both his LT150 and his VT540, and then bought off the web - he may not give me the time of day!

In any case, before the final production run began, and before the infamous Dell pricing mistake, the original LT150 was about $3500 street price - I'd expect to pay at least that initially for the newer model, and maybe $4000 with motorized zoom.

Gary

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
Hey! That picture says "LT" and two digits I can't read - isn't it a picture of an LT85?

Gary

Edit - the picture changed, somebody is pulling a fast one!

Gary

[This message has been edited by Gary McCoy (edited 10-03-2001).]

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
Keep in mind that when the LT150 was a new projector, it retailed for around $5995.00. It has been steadily dropping over the last year or so in preparation for its replacement, the LT150z. I'd guess that the LT150z is going to retail in a similar price range when its released. If the zoom is a big concern, wait. If not, you might want to jump onto a LT150 now before they are all gone.

Just some food for thought.

Thanks!

------------------

Jason Turk

AV Science, Inc.
http://www.avscience.com

716-454-1460 ext.204

[email protected]

·
Registered
31 Posts
From what I was told the LT150z is going to be $400-$500 more. Because the projector is a new model I'm sure it will be close to the MSRP. You may have to wait for it to drop in price.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If it is the case that the LT150z will sell for $4-5000, then I will probably wait quite a while. But in the meantime, if I do get an LT150, is there ANY after market zoom options I can choose from??

-timmy

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
Although they are not zoom lenses, I understand that the Panamorph and ISCO lenses effectively change projector throw.

In the case of the Panamorph, the picture gets compressed vertically - so to fill a 16:9 screen of the same height as the original 4:3 screen, you move the projector back from the screen, effectively increasing throw.

In the case of the ISCO, the picture is expanded horizontally, so you would move it closer to a 16:9 screen of the same width as the original 4:3 screen, effectively decreasing projector throw.

I realize this is not the same as zoom but if you want a 16:9 shaped screen, using one of these aftermarket lenses gives you one other throw distance option for a fixed throw projector, and in one case this is a greater throw distance, in the other case it is less - plus of course the additional brightness and resolution benefits both of these lenses are famous for.

Gary

·
Registered
31 Posts
I haven't heard of a zoom for the LT150. However someone else out there may have. If you like the $2200-$2300 price of the LT150, you may have to wait 6-12 months for the LT150z to drop to that price range. In my home application the zoom is not worth the extra cost.

·
Premium Member
24,992 Posts
The Panamorph does not change throw. The vertical compression is nullified by using the full panel height.

------------------

Noah

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.