AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some have suggested the LT150 for me as a good HT projector without spending big money. I am looking for HDTV picture, like the tv sets at Best Buy, I like that clear, fluid picture. Is that what I will see from the LT150?

What else should I be considering?

What is HTPC that some say mey be needed for better image? ANY info is helpful since I am new! At least now I have one peice of hardware to learn about from the hundreds out there so thanks for the help already...

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
HTPC is Home Theater Personal Computer (see HTPC forum for FAQ, how to build, how to buy, etc.). The image you get with LT150 and most better projectors fed with HDTV will be as beautiful as HDTV rear projection IF it's the same size as your rear projection HDTV. However, if you blow it up to 100 inches or more diagonal, there will be some loss of clarity, color, contrast, etc. This is just plain physics of graphics though I can't explain it in detail :) It won't be as good as a direct view HDTV like a Sony Wega XBR, but these will be limited to 36" or less. Size is everything in home theater. HTPC is considered superior is because of its clean progressive DVD source. It's considered by some to be comparable to the best set top box progressive DVD player and certainly better than the mediocre players. HTPC is not that expensive (I bought mine ready made from www.computerbuys2000.com for less than $500 and then upgraded the graphics card for better 3D games :)). You have to add a sound card with SPDIF (digital out connector--optical or coaxial) to feed your receiver for DD/DTS surround sounds (mine was the discontinued but still available Vortex SQ1500 for $9 (use www.pricewatch.com for price searches). Of course you can always go deluxe and it can run you over several thousands. As they say, you get what you pay for, but for me little is enough for now :) Good luck with your FPTV (front projection TV) quest.

------------------

Huey ;-]

·
Registered
76 Posts
You might want to check out the FAQ in my sig. It has tons of info on the HTPC!

------------------
HTPC Mega FAQ

[This message has been edited by RichardW (edited 09-03-2001).]

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info so far... keep more coming! I'm confused about the htpc, exxcept that its a pc with dvd and can do some kind of 'special scanning?' to make a better picture... hmmmm ???????

Anyway, my idea was to use my computer as a dvd player and dolby ac3 decoder (through a ac3 sound card? if there is one) and show the whole thing on the wall or a screen about 80 - 90 inches diagonal. I want to see a picture as good as the fantastic 16:9 tv sets at best buy.

I would make a sound proof cabinet for the pc on the floor and for the projector up on the ceiling.

Looking for as small footprint as possible.

I just dont understand about this 'progressivs scanning'. How much better will it look than just using a dvd payer into the projector?

The faq is too confusing for me but i'll go back now and look some more. Maybe it will gel...

I just want a simple, small home theater...

By the way, am I looking in the right directon? I mean at a dlp projector etc?

Any help appreciated?

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
All computer output via its video card is automatically progressive scanning and not interlaced like your VCR or cable TV. There is no special computer setting or parts to make it progressive. Another alternative to quieting cabinet is to have the PC in another room and run a single SVGA graphics cable to your theater room. If your cable is coaxial shielded and of reasonable quality there will be little loss in picture quality. The same goes with your coaxial digital sound cabling. A cheap way to get coaxial digital sound to your receiver is to buy RG6 (TV cable type coaxial cabling) and buy 2 RCA male to coaxial adaptor from Radioshack (my 50 footer cost me $14 for everything and works great). Go to HTPC forum for lots of details and FAQ. Projector wise as long as you start with at least an XGA LCD/SVGA DLP or better you won't be sorry. Starter projectors now cost from $1400 for Proxima DS2 (SVGA DLP) to $2350 LT150 (XGA DLP). Of course there are plenty of more expensive and better projectors but you may not want to invest so much when it's your first plunge into FPTV. Then again, you might. To each his own.

------------------

Huey ;-]

·
Registered
1,994 Posts

You're certainly in the right direction with a DLP projector. (Cost vs performance)

I myself have a LT150 with a DSS HDTV receiver. I was watching HDTV with a Sony Wega KV-32XBR400. Yes the picture is the closest I've seen to reality...BUT...32inches.

I have now gone to the DLP and have 106" or 7' across image.

Beleive me that's a BIG difference. Being a freak with picture quality I can assure you (My opinion of course) that you will NOT be disapointed watching HDTV with the LT150!!!

All my freinds have seen HD with the Sony and with the LT150. There's NO COMPARISONS between both...when asked which they would choose...they all agreed on the LT150. Beleive me the picture looks AWESOME.

Yesterday I saw a movie called "Committed". Although this has got to be the stupidest movie I've ever seen, the quality of the picture was stunning! I assure you that I kept watching it because I was amazed at the quality of the picture. Lots of desert shots and one word WOW!

My only advice to you is "See it first with your own eyes and judge for yourself".

I myself would not trade this puppy for any other DLP outhere. (I saw Runco's $18,000 projector and boy am I glad I saw the LT150 too) No Way Jose!

BTW I'm doing a shotout at a Big HIFI store this week and will let all know. (Lt150 and Runco's DLP)

Kind regards,

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.