AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At 11:30am, the FedEx guy came a'knockin with two 3.3lb boxes, otherwise known as the NEC LT150.

Now the fun begins:

o I am going to attempt to stack the LT150s. I will do comparison photos and post them here.

o Since I'm going to stack them, I'm going to need a ceiling mount that supports stacking. I need to make a buy vs. make decision. Since I'm all thumbs when it comes to building things, usually my decision is pretty easy.

o The LT150s will be used to display the following sources: PVR - ReplayTV, DishTV, HD from Dish 6000 and OTA, and DVD. They will be replacing my single LP350. I have not decided how I'm going to scale and matrix all these sources into the LT150s. I am leaning away from HTPC, although I will probably test with one at the beginning of my trials. I currently am thinking of waiting until CEDIA to make any final decisions.

o I'm expecting the stacked LT150s to be quite noisy and requiring a hush assembly.

Lots of work to do....I'll report back with my progress.

--Les

·
Registered
813 Posts
Lucky dirt bag hehehe......I cant wait to see what you find I was planning on doing the same thing, but you will be saving me time =). I cant wait to see your results.

Now if I can only get the scum balls over at dell to send mine, or at least return my damn phone calls to see what's going on I may get somewhere =-).

Chris

[This message has been edited by Mane3215 (edited 07-31-2001).]

·
Registered
711 Posts
Arrow,

Please keep us up to date. I am specifically interested in:

1) How you handle all of the inputs...

2) What screen you will be using and why (gain please)...

3) What DVD player you will be using...

4) What cables you use at what prices and why...

Your decision to keep the LT150 over the LP350 convinced me to sell my LP350 .. so you owe me! =) Thanks!

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:
What screen you will be using and why (gain please)...
I have a Grayhawk ultimate 4-way measuring 54x96. It is .95 gain (I think..if not I'm sure someone will correct me.)

I chose it to help black levels of the current digital projectors. I have already seen the LT150 on the Grayhawk and found the contrast and black level to be very satisfying.

However, Grant swears by the Dalite HiGain and has been discouraging people from the gray screen.

Quote:
Your decision to keep the LT150 over the LP350 convinced me to sell my LP350 .. so you owe me! =) Thanks!
I sure hope you like it!

--Les

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My Agenda:

1. Post before pics. A look at the theater before the LT150s are introduced.

2. Attempt to stack LT150s on the floor with HTPC input and DVD source. Post pics comparing single LT150 vs dual. I'll also try HDTV with single and stacked LT150, but unfortunately have no way to provide still pictures.

*** Note: I'll need a decent RGB splitter/amplifier to perform the stack test and am soliciting suggestions.

3. Assuming the stacking test went well, it's time to work on that ceiling mount for the stack.

4. Time to measure the fan noise and consider a hushbox.

5. Make a decision on a scaler at CEDIA. I'm looking forward to seeing all the different scalers in use as well as SDI before plopping down 5k.

Stay tuned...

--Les

·
Registered
255 Posts
arrow: with stacking you mean overlapping both pictures to get a 2 times higher lightoutput?

Or do you mean getting a 2048*768 display? (nice for 1:2.35) movies.

Concerning the RGB splitter/amp, if you can remove/disable the 75ohm terminators on one LT150 it should be possible to connect them both together at the same time (last LT150 should have the terminators) without problems, but that is theory..

Good luck, looking forward to the pictures

Greetz, Kjelt

[This message has been edited by Kjelt (edited 08-01-2001).]

·
Registered
711 Posts
Arrow:

Would you suggest a screen with a higher gain or a lower gain for the LT150? I'm considering a 106"D Da-Lite High Contrast with a gain of 0.8 for the LT150. Is the Da-Lite High Gain the same thing as the High Power?

It's also my understanding that the High Contrast IS a grey screen and while the High Power is white. Is that incorrect?

Thanks.

Don

P.S. Do you have any recommendations for cheap switches that can handle one progessive DVD player and 1 S-Video out? I'd like to spend about $500 for a switch or maybe more for a switch/scaler.

My ReplayTV (SVideo), Digital Cable (SVideo), and VCR (Composite) will all be switched by my receiver and output via a single SVideo cable.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here's part one of my deliverable.

The following is a link to my current home theater:
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...995&a=13595515

It might be of particular interest to those who, like me, do not own their own homes.

The biggest challenge to building a home theater in a home that is not your own? Wires wires wires. You just don't have the ability to hide em as you'd like to.

More to come...

--Les

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:
Originally posted by Don Black:
Would you suggest a screen with a higher gain or a lower gain for the LT150?
Well...Grant swears by the Dalite High Gain which I have never seen in person. So, I'm reluctant to recommend against it.

However, I thought the black level from the LT150 on the grey screen was outstanding so I'm reluctant to crank up the gain. I prefer deeper blacks and high contrast to brightness.

Quote:
Is the Da-Lite High Gain the same thing as the High Power?
Yes.

Quote:
It's also my understanding that the High Contrast IS a grey screen and while the High Power is white.
Correct.

Quote:
P.S. Do you have any recommendations for cheap switches that can handle one progessive DVD player and 1 S-Video out? I'd like to spend about $500 for a switch or maybe more for a switch/scaler.
I haven't gotten this far yet. Perhaps an ISCAN or used CI or Quadscan would do the trick.

--Les

[This message has been edited by arrow (edited 08-06-2001).]

·
Registered
221 Posts
Extron makes an RGB splitter that my company has installed in about 20 sites now. There is a high resolution and an XGA version. Since the LT-150 is XGA, you don't really the high resolution version.

Here is a link:
http://www.extron.com/product/produc...2lc&subtype=16

It is the P/2DA2 LC (I guess that means low cost). It can drive a signal 100 feet easily. If you use the Cat 5 low cost solution and keep the splitter near your source, you can tidy up your installation nicely.

It is small and has a floor wart power supply.

drewman

·
Registered
711 Posts
Drewman,

Thanks for the info but I'm confused as to what problem this piece of equipment solves? From its picture, it looks like to has 1 VGA input and 2 VGA outputs. What situation is that useful for with the LT150? Thanks!

·
Registered
628 Posts
Grant likes the high gain others like the high contrast....Im thinking of splitting the diff and getting a matt white or something in that range lol. My LT150 comes via ups tomorrow. Cant wait to play around http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------

Gonna name my HT "Tooth and Nails" for the battle my wife is putting up against it.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I found a really good deal on a tensioned elctric screen from da-lite. The run about 1700.00 I can get it for roughly 1k, however its only a 1.3 and since everyone reccomends high gain I would like to get it. But i need an electric for my application and the non-tensioned has me afraid of wrinkles. Can you swap fabrics on these things?

Chris

·
Registered
21 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Don Black:
Thanks for the info but I'm confused as to what problem this piece of equipment solves?
The original poster purchased two LT150s, and plans to stack them. The Extron is useful as a buffer to avoid any signal loss when splitting the video feed across two projectors.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Why hasn't anyone pointed out that stacking is impossible, without some form of keystone correction? Or am I confused?

Mike

------------------

Join the NYC-area HT club! Send me e-mail!

·
Registered
344 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mflaster:
Why hasn't anyone pointed out that stacking is impossible, without some form of keystone correction? Or am I confused?
I think you can stack them if you mount one on the ceiling, and the other on a tabletop. Getting them converged will be a PITA I'm sure.

Brian

[This message has been edited by halljb (edited 08-07-2001).]

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Oh, OK, I guess that makes sense...

Mike

------------------

Join the NYC-area HT club! Send me e-mail!

·
Registered
665 Posts

·
Registered
9,493 Posts
Actually,

The comment about mounting one on the ceiling and one on a table top does not make sense.

(At least to me anyway)

When a projector is mounted low like on a table or floor, keystone adjustments need to be made because the top of the screen will be wider than the bottom due to the longer throw distance. When a projector is mounted high or on the ceiling, the oppisite is true. So mounting one high and one low will add to the keystone problem not solve it.

The best case would be to have the projectors as close as possible.

I can see the advantage of stacked CRT's but the advantage of stacked digital projectors is eluding me. Digital projectors are bright already and stacking will further limit the ability to attain black level. But, good luck anyway.

Thanks,

Brian

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.