Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the LT156 already available?

I'm interested in the DVI input to connect my future GeForce 3 with DVI output for displaying DVD's and PC games.

Does anyone know the max length of a DVI cable?

Thanx

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
Lt156's have become available. I do not know the answer to ou DVI cable question. I'm curious myself.

I'd also like to see the LT156 hooked up to your geforce 3 card.. Sounds very nice..

Regards,

JOhn

·
Registered
388 Posts
The longest DVI cables currently available are 5 meters. The standard apparently was not intended for long distances and the reason longer cables aren't offered is that they won't work, although a rep at Molex has told me they're working on a 7 m or 8 m cable (I think). -- Herb

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the answers.

I need a 12 meter long cable. If you think that DVI doesn't work what type of connection do you suggest?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I don't really know, but it seems that a purely digital signal would be less susceptible to degradation in a long cable run that an analog signal would be. I believe you can get away with (analog) VGB monitor cables >25 feet w/o amplification and would expect even longer runs with digital. They'll be much harder to find, however, till DVI catches on.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I remember hearing that once you reach the maximum specified cable length, you will need to join multiple cable segments with dvi signal repeaters (like one would do with long ethernet runs).

Give extron a call: http://www.extron.com

Thomas

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Why could you not use a good serial digital cable like Belden/Canare 1694A/L7CFB with good 75ohm BNC connectors and a DVI breakout box?

DavidW

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.