AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Considering the projectorcentral review, I'm surprised not to have seen any more discussion of the NEC LT240 and 260. (Of course, perhaps since people can't ask where to buy 'em, they can't actually find 'em to buy. :p )

Does anyone out there actually *own* one? Has anyone compared this projector to the Sharps and the new InFocus? All of these projectors seem to have some advantages over the others, and I'm surprised that projectorcentral doesn't do more comparison between them despite the varying price points.

~ Kiran

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Have seen them both ... here's a quick breakdown so you can decide for yourself.

Positive - Ultra QUIET!!! Colors are GORGEOUS !!! Nice menu.

Negative - Rainbows enough to make many a forum member pack it up and return it to the dealer. Big and bulky (but who cares? right?)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Have to agree - looked at the LT260 (XGA) and LT220 (SVGA) and the LT260 had rainbows and got a headache after 5 min. I did not see any rainbows on the 220

·
Registered
27,961 Posts
I love my LT-240. Best purchase I've ever made in my life. Picture quality is amazing.

Rainbows? Eh... I see one every once in a while. They don't bother me. I admit to not being sensitive to them, but I still think the problem has been blown way out of proportion by certain members of this forum.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I owned the LT150 for some time and loved it. Rainbows were not an issue, and the LT240 & 260 use the same 2x rgbw color wheel.

·
Registered
11 Posts
i have had a crt proj for the past 12 yrs.ago.digital proj has been a new experince for me.

received my lt 260 a week ago. so far the picture/contrast have been amazing.havent seen any rainbows yet. i think the pic quality is better than sharp mx20. and it is much quieter.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by martonl
looked at the LT260 (XGA) and LT220 (SVGA) and the LT260 had rainbows and got a headache after 5 min. I did not see any rainbows on the 220
So you saw fewer rainbows with a lower-resolution projector? I would have expected exactly the opposite, if resolution affected rainbows.

~ Kiran

·
Registered
34 Posts
I am a little confused here. What is actually causing the headache? The rainbow effect or motion artifact?

I read from pj central that the LT is US$1000 less expensive than the Z90, but it doesn't seem to be the case here in HK. Just wondering how much ppl are paying for their LT240/260.

Thanks

·
Registered
26 Posts
Both PJ's were setup to factory defaults. Dunno the technical reasons - need to ask a techo who knows how DLP works, but it was bad enough for me not to consider the 260.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Chuir:

I placed my order yesterday and expet them to ship before X mas. I paid a few K less than Z90 which is also a very good projector.

Entropy:

I bought two LT260 for my company and they are simply great. There are numberous adjustment available and a careful tweaking yields very film like indeed.

When mine comes next week, Iwill carry it first to a friends' CRT HT for an AB comparison

·
Registered
27,961 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by chuir
I am a little confused here. What is actually causing the headache? The rainbow effect or motion artifact?
Mostly it's caused by people straining to find something wrong with the picture for extended periods of time.

The rainbow thing I think is overstated, but I can see it being a legitimate problem for some people. Headaches probably affect .00000000000000001% of the DLP-viewing public, all of whom post in this forum.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I saw the lt260 and it looked great. I have no rainbow problems. I'm going with the x1 for the price factor. But if I was going xga, I'd grab the lt240.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just purchased my first pj and received the LT240 last night. I have to say that the picture is absolutely amazing. I hooked up a progressive DVD, interlaced DVD, DirecTV, Playstation2, and a PC and I was very satisfied with every signal that the projector presents. I have to say that the difference between the progressive and interlaced DVD players was substantial and the progressive signal was one of the best pictures I have seen apart from an HD signal. Both my wife and I saw rainbows if we tried to see them, but to be honest they were minimal and once I started watching a movie I became engrossed in the movie and didn't even notice them. I am building my HTPC this weekend and look forward to seeing an HD signal through this beauty.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
How much light spillage is there from the 240/260? I have just looked up the throw distances, and to project a 60" image, the machine'll be on a coffee table.

~ Kiran

·
Registered
34 Posts
mark_k,

Which model did you get, 240 or 260? For a few K less than the z90? That's amazing, mind emailing me where you bought your pj? I am going to see a 260 today but what I really want is a 240.

Thanks

·
Registered
27,961 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by entropy
How much light spillage is there from the 240/260? I have just looked up the throw distances, and to project a 60" image, the machine'll be on a coffee table.
The 240, being a 4:3 projector, shines the entire 4:3 panel (with black letterbox bars if you are watching 16:9 content). NEC has eliminated the halo around the outside of the 4:3 panel that was a problem on previous models like the LT-150.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Josh Z
NEC has eliminated the halo around the outside of the 4:3 panel that was a problem on previous models like the LT-150.
No, no, I mean light spillage from the machine itself (such as light shining through the air vents.

~ Kiran

·
Registered
362 Posts
The light leaked is very trivial. In my office with good light control, it is hardly noticeable.

·
Registered
27,961 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by entropy
No, no, I mean light spillage from the machine itself (such as light shining through the air vents.
Ah, I see. Sorry.

As Mark_K says, the light leakage is really trivial. The LT-240 sits pretty much right next to my head and I don't notice any light leakage unless I look directly at the projector.

Fan noise is also whisper quiet on this model.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks. I'm concerned about light leakage because I'm going to have to put it on the coffee table in the small room. (It's long and narrow.) In the big room where I can fill a wall with a screen of whatever size, it'll be ceiling mounted probably behind the viewers.

Now if only I knew where to FIND one.

~ Kiran

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.