AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my LT85 but haven't had a chance to play with it yet. I definitely want a 16:9 screen as I plan to primarily watch DVDs on this and, if I do watch a 4:3 image, I probably will use the "Native" mode to show it in a smaller inset image as I'm not fond of scaling artifacts and I don't mind the smaller image seeing as most 4:3 images are of lower res anyway.

My question is, what kind of DVD player should I use? I seem to recall reading something to the effect that if I used a 4:3 projector with a 16:9 screen, then I would need an RP91 for some reason or another. Is that true? Again, here are my needs:

- 16:9 screen

- Want to watch older non-anamorphic letterbox movies filled to the screen.

- Want 4:3 images displayed centered within 16:9 screen (Native mode?)

- Projector will be setup and "broken down" for each use and will sit on a table of some sort. I state this because I don't mind moving the projector back and forth if that makes any difference.

If I don't need an RP91, that would be great as there seem to be better/cheaper progressive players out there (RP56?) which aren't as flexible.

To add another wrinkle in here, I also own an IBM Thinkpad 600X which has a PIII 500 chip and a DVD-ROM player (don't remember the speed). Could this produce a noticeably improved picture over a progressive player or is this hardware underpowered for the purpose? Remember that my projector is only SVGA, so I would think that I wouldn't need as much computing horsepower. I don't mind dealing with the added complexities of an HTPC if the visual improvement is worth it and I don't have to spend much more (I'd need some sort of PCMCIA digital audio output). But if the quality with my hardware would be about the same or worse (e.g. - pauses/skipped frames), then I'd just as soon get a progressive player. Thanks,

Scott

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bumping this up. Please help. Thanks,

Scott

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
It's as good video wise to RP91. RP91 may have better audio and more features (like shrinking image at DVD player for different aspect ratio). HTPC is best but your laptop may not have the video horsepower or video quality (check it out for yourself as you already have it). Plus your laptop won't give you Dolby Digital or DTS sounds. You'd need a sound card with SPDIF out for digital feed into your receiver. If you're unhappy with your laptop you have 2 choices: RP56 or decent HTPC :)

I built my HTPC for $600. www.computerbuys2000.com for base unit of Athlon 1.4g/384 MB/Hitachi 12x GD7500 DVD/20g HD (already had Win98 SE as it does not come with operating system) for $450. Added Geforce2 GTS Pro 64 MB DDR for $140. Aureal Vortex 1 with coaxial SPDIF output for $10. Using PowerDVD (best interface, poor video, OK sounds), WinDVD (best stability, OK video/sounds), or Cinemaster 2000 players (best video and sounds but slightly unstable) (backup software players are advised due to certain incompatibility with certain tittles), the image and sounds are great on LT150 at 100" wide from 14 feet in a dark room. This machine kicks a*s on 3D games like Quake3 and Unreal Tournament especially at 100" wide :)

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Huey, you only made brief mention of the info I was looking for. Specifically, what are these aspect ratio adjustments that are possible with the RP91 and are they important/crucial if I'm going to use a progressive DVD player (not HTPC) with my LT85 paired with 16:9 screen?

Here's what I think the RP91 buys me that no other (?) DVD player can do: I have my projector set up for my 16:9 screen (The projector is set up for a 4:3 image which has the same width as my 16:9 screen, meaning that if I was to display a 4:3 image the top and bottom portion would fall outside of my screen). Set my DVD player to 16:9 display mode. When I view a letterbox DVD, no problem. When I view an anamorphic DVD, no problem (just set LT85 to "Cinema" mode). The problem comes when I want to watch a

Now, if I don't have an RP91, I believe I have two choices:

1) Move the projector closer to the screen. Or,

2) Use the S-Video and "Native" mode.

Is this all correct? If so, I think I can live with this and will probably just get the RP56.

Scott

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
You're correct that RP-91 lets you scale 4:3 image down to fit your 16:9 screen without manually moving PJ. I'm just not sure if this feature is worth the $300 extra over the RP-56.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Huey. I think I agree. Looks like the RP56 will probably be my next purchase.

Thought of another possible issue, though. I believe that DVD players "intelligently" place subtitles on the image appropriate to your TV/projector type. So, when watching a letterboxed movie on a 4:3 TV, I may see the subtitles primarily in the lower black bar, but on a 16:9 TV it would place them within the image itself. Do I need to worry about subtitles on a non-anamorphic widescreen movie getting projected into the black bars (which will not be below my screen)? I don't think so, as I'd imagine that this would affect 4:3 screen owners who use masking (almost everybody). Just want to make sure.

Scott

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.