1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
76 Posts
What is the screen door effect? I'm looking for a good, but cheap FPTV or RPTV. I have around $2200-$2500 total to spend. That would include the screen.

Whar are the major differences between the LT85 and LT150? Thanks.

------------------
HTPC Mega FAQ

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Screen door is when each pixel is visible from 10 feet or less from screen. Usually this occurs on SVGA LCD but XGA LCD can be visible if you have 20/15 vision from 10 feet. SVGA DLP is comparable to XGA LCD as far as visible pixels from this distance. XGA DLP has very small pixels so you'd have to be less than 6 feet to see it. The pixels are squares so when there are hundreds of thousands they can look like a screen on your door; therefore, screen door effect. The ONLY difference between the LT85 and LT150 is one uses SVGA DMD panel and the other uses XGA DMD panel. LT150 will be better for HDTV whereas LT85 should be fine for DVD (HTPC included) and regular video.

------------------

Huey ;-]

[This message has been edited by Huey (edited 09-04-2001).]

·
Registered
76 Posts
Thanks for the help. So, since I'll be using a HTPC with scaling software, etc., the LT85 should be fine? I don't have any HDTV needs now. The best source I would have is the DVD player.

------------------
HTPC Mega FAQ

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you can sit further than 10 feet from screen the LT85 will be great. Both the NEC LT projectors have very short throw making very large image at 10 feet ( www.nectech.com has PDF file with exact throw distance and image sizes). You can ceiling mount or coffee-table mount your PJ at X distance from screen and sit at Y distance from screen. As long as Y is greater than X by at least 4-6 feet you should should be fine (no screen door effect). The rule is at least 2x screen width for sitting distance for no screen door for SVGA DLP (XGA LCD too) and 1.5x width for XGA DLP (SXGA LCD). Plus since the unit makes some noise (< 40 db but has color wheel whine) sitting further back will lessen noise for you. Some put it under the table for even less noise. Ceiling mount has more noise as the wheel spins faster (not sure why). Good luck.

------------------

Huey ;-]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.