AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I finally got around to turning on the LT85 late last week. Having recently moved into a new house, I had yet to complete the work of running speaker wire, determining the best place for all of my equipment, purchasing a new "small" TV (my 35" wouldn't fit in the armoire we bought - I just bought a new 32" today).

But, I got impatient and hooked things up in our bedroom. I projected the image on our beige bedroom wall. The projector was connected to my old, trusty Sony DVP-S3000 DVD player via S-Video. Because I was hooking it up via S-Video and projecting onto a beige wall, I was expecting the results to be pretty poor (not to mention my concerns that I might have made a mistake in purchasing the SVGA model over the LT150). When I first turned it on, and saw the Windows lookalike menu system, I thought that it looked dim. But a minute or so later, the brightness kicked in and I thought "wow".

I got the DVD going and was very impressed. I read people complaining about how horrible interlaced video via S-Video looked on the LT150, but I have to say that the image looked very watchable to me. One of the things that really impressed me was the shadow detail. I stuck in Austin Powers because I've always been impressed with the colors and I remembered the black leather chairs in Dr. Evil's lair. These all came across great. Black looked plenty black to me in most of these scenes, and I was doing no masking and getting significant halo-ing from the projector. I did notice what I'm guessing was the screen-door effect, but note that even though I was projecting a fairly small image, I was sitting very close to it (the projector was on a rollable cart behind my head). I did not find this overly objectionable.

As for rainbows...Well, I tried to see them by shaking my head but couldn't really see them that way (not easily, anyway). But I definitely did see them. The times that I saw them the most were with high contrast images (e.g. - a small white shape on a mostly black background). Having played a couple of minutes of Austin Powers here and there the past several days, I can tell you that I consistently see them when the movie "types out" the date (white text on black background) at the beginning of the chapter showing the Abdows Big Boy flying through space. As each new letter/number appears on the screen, I see the rainbowed version of it. Do I find these objectionable? Yes. Would I return the projector if I could get a full refund? No. I'm definitely hooked on the big screen image.

Back onto black levels...The next day I put in Lost In Space. I don't know if the wow factor had worn off or something, but I was now disappointed in the black levels in the space scenes at the beginning. My overall take now is that black levels look great in scenes that aren't mostly black, but are lacking in overly black (dark?) scenes. However, I'll reserve final judgement on this until I get my Hi-Power, reduce the halo close to the projector, and mask the screen.

A couple of days ago I bought a 250 thread count white bed sheet. Last night I tried using it. Well, it was a real pain getting it to stick to the ceiling. I used several pieces of clear packing tape and stuck it to the ceiling. At first, the weight of the sheet kept pulling it down. After applying lots of tape, I eventually got it to stay up there for a while. This was in my living room (where we'll be using this projector long-term). I wanted to determine how big of a screen I could use. I was previously thinking of trying a 45x80 16:9 screen. However, we also want to have an ottoman in front of our loveseat, which will be directly facing the screen. A sofa will be perpendicular to our loveseat (and, hence, perpendicular to the screen). Given these variables, it looks like an 80" wide screen will be pushing it. Even without taking into account the ottoman, the projector needed to be quite close to our loveseat. I have about 2'+ of additional room behind the loveseat (which is essentially the aisle where someone coming into our front door would walk through). I could slide the loveseat back against this wall (blocking the "aisle") when watching a movie, but I figure that since that reduces the "apparent" screen size, why not just reduce the actual screen size and leave the loveseat in the optimal location? This brings about two questions:

1) Do you guys who floor mount your LT150's have them right in front of you? At an 80" wide screen, with a seating position of 2.4x image width, positioning the LT85 would not have allowed enough room for an ottoman in front of our loveseat (at least not with my long legs on top of it). Note that the LT85 and LT150 have slightly different throwing distances (for an 80" wide screen, the LT85 is about 11' 4" from the screen whereas the LT150 would be about 10' 11" from the screen - about 5" closer).

2) The screen width that I'm toying with using is a 72" wide 16:9 screen (which, I'd imagine, would be a custom order). This would result in a seating distance that is about 2.6x screen width. What are your thoughts on this? Part of me thinks that I'm defeating the purpose of having a projector if I use a screen this "small", but another part of me thinks, "Hey, for an 83" diagonal 16:9 screen, this is quite a bit bigger than you could buy in an RPTV and a lot cheaper at the $1550 + screen cost that I'll have spent".

Scott

·
Registered
733 Posts
Scott:

It was the "black" levels in Lost in Space that sold me on the LT150. There were five of us in the room at the time and everyone went "WOW!" Warren, another AVS member shot home to order his and I placed my order the next day!

This projector excells with movies like: Space Cowboys, Lost in Space, Pitch Black, Dark City, The Phantom Menance, Final Fantasy and so on. I am sure the LT85 is similar.

Mask your screen and control your ambient light.

Cheers,

Grant

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ambient light was controlled but walls are a strange shade of yellow, so there's not much I can do there. I will be masking and using Hi-Power. Good to hear that things should improve.

Scott

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Posted this less than 24 hours ago and it's already on the 3rd page. Surely, AVS should be making a bundle of money by selling advertising space on this forum.

Anyways, wanted to bump this back up. I know that there were a couple of other folks who bought this projector about the same time as me. Any thoughts from any of you guys?

Scott

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.