AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I came across a recent post on the Screens forum with some impressive (though small) pics of a Greyhawk screen. I had been sold by everyone and their brother claiming that the Hi-Power was the way to go, especially seeing as my LT85 will not be ceiling mounted. But, I have a couple of nagging questions...

My room is painted yellow (exact shade is difficult to describe). The room does not have good light control. I pretty much resigned myself to having to watch movies at night. But, I wonder...If I use a relatively small screen (45"x80" 16:9, or even smaller) could the relatively high lumens of this projector combined with a Greyhawk (or similar) screen work well for daytime viewing? My thought is that a Hi-Power will be great for reflecting the light from the projector but will, unfortunately, also reflect lots of the other light coming into the room, while the Greyhawk will "ignore" much of this light. Am I way off base with this thinking?

Scott

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, I just came across a thread on the Screens forum where a couple of folks stated that a Grayhawk (BTW, also discovered that I spelled Grayhawk wrong - I knew I was going to do that) acts like a matte screen in that it reflects light equally from/to any angle. I knew that the Hi-Power reflects light back retroflectively, but it didn't occur to me that this could also be an advantage in that it would be less apt to reflect side lighting (from windows) back to the viewer. Sounds like it makes sense.

Of course, I also discovered that the Grayhawk seems to be quite a bit more expensive than the Hi-Power, so that's no small deal to me, either. :)

Scott

·
Registered
733 Posts
Scott, here are some suggestions. Buy some blockout material as a screen (very cheap and this might work for you) and then order samples from Da-lite, including the Hi-power and its grey screen material and ask Stewart for a Greyhawk sample. Stick them onto your blockout material and have a shootout under different ambient light conditions. This isn't perfect, but will at least give you a taste before you spend what could be lots of cash!

To change your room (temporarily) you could hang black material (tack it to the top part of your walls). This can always be removed quickly (like when your wife gets home). This is what I've done.

Cheers,

Grant

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.