Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a quote from George Lucas on the originals on DVD

'Asked if there's a possibility of including the original versions as alternate tracks, to show the evolution of the films, showcase the state-of-the-art of the era, and preserve film history, Lucas said simply, "I don't think so. I think of the film as The Special Edition. I don't think of it as the early version, any more than I would put early rough cuts on.... I consider The Special Edition as being the final version at this point. I don't even worry about the other ones, because it went through a lot of incarnations to get to the final stage."'

Check it out here: http://www.theforce.net/holonet/index.html#16732

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Yea, he is such an *******......

·
Registered
27,143 Posts
Thank goodness for his brain-fart with laser disc!

Otherwise, there would be no reference versions at all. I'm sure he still sits up at night cursing himself for the 2 collectors editions he released on LD.

Or he says, "Oy!!!! I even released the last box-set in pristine Dolby Digital which is better on LD than DVD"!

Obviously, he won't repeat that mistake anytime soon.

Jeff

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Thank God for laserdisc. I hope I can one day track down original 35mm prints for all three films.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Thank God I found someone to tranfer my SW: SE laserdiscs to DVD's ( and I call them 5 star edtions ;) ) and with my Panasonic RP-91's ability to scale non-anamorphic DVD's I get a MUCH better picture then my SE laserdiscs ever looked!

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Frank-

How'd you do the transfer. I am considering taking my THX VHS widescreen trilogy and transferring it to DVD in the future. Did you keep the digital soundtrack? How is the quality?

Thanks,

·
Registered
180 Posts
I'd like to see Lucas submit a packed-to-max effects orgy as a film school project and see what the instructor says. Sensory overload is no substitute for good storytelling, which is what the unenhanced trilogy had (well, moreso the first two films).

Anyhow, while I doubt that Lucas is going to listen to anyone (just see Phantom Menace for evidence of that), a fellow by the name of Todd Bonny has set up an online petition to request the inclusion of the non-SE films on DVD. Here's where you can go to vent:

http://www.**************.com/SWCTDVD/petition.html

·
Registered
180 Posts

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Since we're throwing stones, I'll throw mine.

I have never liked Lucas. He got lucky with Star Wars. Thats all. In my opinion, "The Empire Strikes Back" was a better movie. "The Phantom Menace" sucked. What has he done??

Every interview that I have seen with him, he sounds like a clueless egomaniac.

Who needs him??

·
Registered
613 Posts
Personal opinion: Everything that Luca$ has done over the past 10 years or so is crap.

But as long as their are people who are willing to stand in line at a movie theater, weeks in advance of a first showing, Luca$ will continue to believe that he is God's gift to motion pictures.

Ron

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
You guys crack me up. The Special Edition of Empire Strikes back is awesome. The other 2 I understand complaints. However, I prefere The New versionof Empire Strikes back. Episode IV would be just as good - Jabba the Hut.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Yes, but he did not direct the Indiana Jones Trilogy so they don't count. I'm sure Speilberg could of handled it on his own. Lucas' writing may be OK, but its the directing that really counts in my opinion.

He did "Star Wars". "The Empire Strikes Back" was better and he did not direct that one. Again, what has he done? I am so unimpressed with Lucas.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
You need to qualify your statements to say you are uninpressed with Lucas as a Director, not just in general a you have already said he is a good writer (OK).

I do not consider Lucas a stellar Director by any means but I have a lot of respect for his imagination that has brought us Star Wars and Indiana Jones Trilogies!

·
Registered
99 Posts
I want to bid you all farewell. My research here is complete and I'm now off to film this thing. Thank you all for great conversation and teaching me a good deal about HT.

Good-bye,

Gus

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Lucaa' THX1138 and AMERICAN GRAFITTI are both excellent films. STAR WARS and EMPIRE are sensational. WILLOW is very underrated. It was his vision that brought about the Indy films. You simply CANNOT TAKE ANY OF THAT AWAY FROM HIM.

CAPS went on by accident.

·
Registered
27,143 Posts
Sometimes I get the feeling that if Lucas had put his Star Wars trilogy on DVD, he'd be perceived as a pretty swell guy.

Jeff

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.