AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by los seres /forum/post/0

Responding to persistent rumors of a pending release of the 'Star Wars' films on high-def disc, Lucasfilm has issued a statement denying any such plans for the series in the foreseeable future.

Ever since both next-gen formats launched last year, George Lucas' blockbuster space saga has been one of the most highly-requested "holy grails" on high-def.

But hopes hit a new high several weeks ago when early adopters started buzzing about this Amazon.com listing for the Star Wars Trilogy on Blu-ray. Such "placeholder" pages for highly anticipated titles are common practice with the web's biggest retailer, enabling customers to sign up for an email alert when the item in question becomes available. Unfortunately, this can lead to confusion for some consumers, who mistake these placeholders to mean the title has been officially announced.

Hoping to quell the web wildfire, the folks at PC World contacted Lucasfilm for comment early last week, and were told the following by company spokesperson John Singh:

"Lucasfilm Ltd. has no plans to release any of the Star Wars movies on Blu-ray or HD DVD. Listings on Amazon.com or any other Web site are purely speculative and erroneous."

It's worth noting that such a statement should not be much of a surprise (if still a disappointment) to long-time industry watchers. Lucas was one of the longest hold-outs on DVD despite that format's fast-growing mainstream acceptance, waiting over four years after launch before he allowed the first 'Star Wars' film to be released on disc (which turned out to be 'Episode I: The Phantom Menace' in September 2001).

Highdefdigest
http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh...he_Horizon/644

D

·
Banned
1,439 Posts
I always found his reluctance strange since he released the movies on laser disc almost immediately after that format's creation.

Then again, maybe that's why he holds out, laser disc never really caught on so he might have lost money with those pressings. And of course we all know that money stands far above customer satisfaction with Lucas.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Not surprised, as first he needs to rerelease them on DVD again as 20th Anniversary 3D editions (speaking of which, weren't they supposed to be in theaters now???) so that all of those SW suckers can buy the movies for the 18th time. I for one will not buy them again until there is a true HD format.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrigsby /forum/post/0

I always found his reluctance strange since he released the movies on laser disc almost immediately after that format's creation.

Then again, maybe that's why he holds out, laser disc never really caught on so he might have lost money with those pressings. And of course we all know that money stands far above customer satisfaction with Lucas.

Lord - he should have made money on them...I have all three versions of the dang things. Including the CAV (?) version, where each movie is on 3 or 4 double sided disks. Very conducive to the film experience, immersing yourself in the SW Universe, etc.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
He's a strange fellow. If it's waiting longer in order to get more money, what's the point? The guy is super-rich anyway.

Since it took so long to get the DVD versions, I would not expect any Star Wars films on BD (or HD-DVD) for a very long time.

·
Registered
3,418 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cawgijoe /forum/post/0

He's a strange fellow. If it's waiting longer in order to get more money, what's the point? The guy is super-rich anyway.

Since it took so long to get the DVD versions, I would not expect any Star Wars films on BD (or HD-DVD) for a very long time.

The more you have, the more you want..

Anyway they've all played in Europe in H264 18mbits OAR (3 old ones) and look extremely good, i got a cap from the first one only tought.. , but that will hold up for now

·
Registered
2,789 Posts

Quote:

Good business folks (who -- by the way -- have employees and other people counting on revenue) don't stop caring about profit just because they're already 'super-rich'. That's not strange. That's how you run a company.

Putting Star Wars out on either format right now would be stupid. He's going to wait at least a few years for greater household penetration.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts

Quote:

Isn't he still playing around, editing, and creating new effects sequences to add to the movies? I think the Star Wars films are movies that will never be "complete" until George Lucas dies.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Well it does make business sense, the installed base for both Blu-Ray & HD DVD is very small.

A 30th aniversary DVD package would sell millions while BD & HD versions would sell thousands, he is just waiting until one format wins & the installed base grows.

I don't know if Star Wars would have been the "Killer App" that would have sold millions of players but we'll just have to wait & see what happens in the future.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Well not to take this thread to the dark side or anything, but...

This is one of the reasons that piracy exists. Hear me out. I don't condone it or anything, but there were THOUSANDS of LD rips to DVD of the Star Wars movies on eBay for YEARS before they were officially released. Those pirates made SO MUCH FREAKING MONEY off these things, heck they were marketed as "official Chinese releases".

Now the same thing is going to happen again. So far it looks like there is a 1080p WMV HD (VC1) of The Empire Strikes Back out there that is supposed to look pretty darn good and fits on a DL DVD+R. I guess it can be played on the XBOX 360 and your PC. I'm sure it won't be too long before you get some HD DVD or BR complient versions out.

Again, I don't condone this stuff, but give your customers what they want or someone else will - even illegally.

·
Registered
616 Posts

Quote:

You have to remember, when Star Wars was released on home video in the mid-80's, Laserdisc was the sell-through format. It was limited quantites, but it was still a sell through format.

Sell through pricing was not pushed on VHS until Top Gun was released with the Pepsi ads. (Not including the test of Star Trek II at $34.98, which was $5 more expensive than the LD at the time.)

Everyone seems to forget that VHS used to come out between $80 and $110 for rental, and then would drop to sell through prices. Titles coming out at $15 to $20 out of the blocks did not start until the early 90's.

fitprod

·
Registered
2,366 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bboisvert /forum/post/0

Good business folks (who -- by the way -- have employees and other people counting on revenue) don't stop caring about profit just because they're already 'super-rich'. That's not strange. That's how you run a company.

Putting Star Wars out on either format right now would be stupid. He's going to wait at least a few years for greater household penetration.

He doesn't run a company like anyone else does. Maybe that's smart, maybe it isn't. If everyone else did the same thing, no one would release anything on BD until there was more household penetration in order to make more money.

Why is Disney releasing POTC now? Should they not wait?

·
Registered
662 Posts
I don't know why he takes so long. If he wants to make money it would make sense to release a bare bones version around Christmas (it could be a tier 3 Blu-ray and still sell a lot also its the 30 year anniversary this year) and then re-release it 5 years from now (35th anniversary)with more stuff and make it better looking and everyone will buy it again and they probably could probably re-release it 5 years after that also for it 40th anniversary.

Assuming Blu-ray wins a release this year will probably sell 5-10 million over the next 5 years maybe more adding all 6.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.