AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been working under the guidance of Lumagen to help bring you guys a Radiance processor that is capable of running full 1080p 72Hz (and beyond). After collecting data for a few months I finally presented my findings to Lumagen. Yesterday, Jim Peterson of Lumagen announced they will indeed be producing Radiance Special Edition processors that are capable of full 1080p 72Hz!!!


Here is the direct quote from Jim Peterson:

Quote:
We have decided to do a special 1080p72 and 1080p75 version of the RadianceXS and RadianceXE. We are going to charge a $500 US MSRP adder for this. If you have a Radiance already you can send it in for the mod and we will do it for $500 plus shipping. This includes testing your unit at speed and replacing the board if your particular unit is not fast enough for these higher rates.


New units will have our standard 1 year limited warranty. Mods will have a 90 day warranty.


We will handle upgrades in the US and Canada. I am contacting Gordon Fraser in the UK to see if he will handle the mods in Europe.


Please call us if you are interested (503-574-2211)

__________________

Jim Peterson

Lumagen

You can also go to Lumagen's support page at http://www.lumagen.com/testindex.php?module=support so send them an email.


So you can now order a new XE or XS Radiance processor with the SE option for an additional $500. Or you can send your existing XE or XS processor back to Lumagen. For $500 plus shipping Lumagen will upgrade your existing processor to the SE version.


There are both hardware and software upgrades that are required to run 1080p 72Hz. A regular edition processor is not capable of running the high clock rates on its own, and it must be upgraded before it can do so. The special edition features will not be active unless you have an actual special edition unit.


So finally we have full 1080p 72Hz capability out of the best home theater VP on the planet. I have been very excited about this for a long time and now that it is here I am so elated. It's really something watching your favorite film based content at full 1080p 72Hz. I've actually gone back and started watching Battlestar Galactica (re-imagined) over again from the start and the improvement is truly striking



I am soooo happy.


craigr
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Jim just sent me an email saying that Lumagen has decided NOT to call the 72Hz Radiance processors "Special Edition" after all. Instead, they will be called the XE+ and XS+. Minor details



craigr
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,816 Posts
What is the difference in features and cost between an XE and an XS?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino AUS /forum/post/18224150


What is the difference in features and cost between an XE and an XS?

Both the XE and XS are HDMI 1.3 compliant.


XS is a half height case.

Has four HDMI inputs.

Has two HDMI outs for audio and/or video.

MSRP is $3495


XE is full height case.

PIP (picture-in-picture) with HDMI inputs.

Has six HDMI inputs.

Has two HDMI outs for audio and/or video.

MSRP is $4995


Add $500 to either for the PLUS rating.


There are other differences between the XE and XS, but those are the biggies. Here is a link to the product page http://www.lumagen.com/testindex.php?module=products


craigr
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
611 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIR-Engineering /forum/post/18226703


Both the XE and XS are HDMI 1.3 compliant.


XS is a half height case.

Has four HDMI inputs.

HDMI out 1 is for audio only.

HDMI out 2 is for video with or without audio.

MSRP is $3495


XE is full height case.

Has six HDMI inputs.

Has two HDMI outs for audio and/or video.

MSRP is $4995


Add $500 to either for the PLUS rating.


There are other differences between the XE and XS, but those are the biggies. Here is a link to the product page http://www.lumagen.com/testindex.php?module=products


craigr


does the Radiance have a Dynamic VP function as the Crystalio 2 has?


i.e switching from NTSC input res to the right output res and when a PAL s


signal is detected switches automatically to 75 Hz and 1152P ?



I would really miss that if it's not available



Thanks


Michael
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by nidi /forum/post/18227957


does the Radiance have a Dynamic VP function as the Crystalio 2 has?


i.e switching from NTSC input res to the right output res and when a PAL s


signal is detected switches automatically to 75 Hz and 1152P ?



I would really miss that if it's not available



Thanks


Michael

Yes, you can map any input resolution to any output resolution so this happens automatically or manually. You can have four different memories per input per scan rate on each input.


Plenty of capability.


craigr
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
576 Posts
FWIW -


I just contacted Lumagen for a + board update. This sounds exciting.



It also reminds me what a great company that Jim and Kim and the rest of them are. That alone deserves thanks and allegiance.


That the Radiance line is sooooo excellent is a nice bonus of course ...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter /forum/post/18229815


FWIW -


I just contacted Lumagen for a + board update. This sounds exciting.


Mine is in the line too for the XS to XS+ , thanks to Jim


To spatz: it is for the G90 you set up at my place in 2007 (then with the Vision Pro HDP)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by big blue too /forum/post/18329184


Mine is in the line too for the XS to XS+ , thanks to Jim


To spatz: it is for the G90 you set up at my place in 2007 (then with the Vision Pro HDP)

Very cool



craigr
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
527 Posts
Hi,


Just saw this and I was wondering if any of you have ever tried 1080p 72 on an ehome 9500lc? I am wondering if it can handle the Bandwidth without going like full MP mods etc.


Thanks


God bless... Mark
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by htguy1 /forum/post/18353943


Hi,


Just saw this and I was wondering if any of you have ever tried 1080p 72 on an ehome 9500lc? I am wondering if it can handle the Bandwidth without going like full MP mods etc.


Thanks


God bless... Mark

Yes, I have done 1080p 72Hz with Radiance processors on two unmodified 9500LC's. They look really good doing it, but there will be slightly more attenuation at 72Hz than at 60Hz due to the 20% higher bandwidth required by 72 Hz over 60Hz.


I think it is a good trade off for judder free 1080p and I recommend it to my clients with 9500's and Radiance processors.


craigr
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was actually incorrect on one feature. Both the XE and XS support audio and video on both HDMI outputs. Originally, the XS was not anticipated to have this capability. Lumagen decided during development to include video on both HDMI outs.


One other huge feature of the XE (and XD) is full HDMI PIP (picture in picture). All six HDMI ins are capable of PIP with each other. The XS does not have PIP.


I will edit my post above as well.


craigr
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nidi /forum/post/18377509


why is there no SDI option for the XE ?


Thanks


Michael

Sali Michael


Easy reason, no space for additional board inside and plugs on the back. Maybe also limited power supply


big blue


Now with XS+ up and running with 1080p 72Hz
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,003 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nidi /forum/post/18377509


why is there no SDI option for the XE ?

Answer: PiP/PoP


Each of the six HDMI inputs has its own data bus, plus there are two data buses for analog video inputs. In addition there are three data buses connected to the GF9450 (Two to it and one from it), plus two output data buses and the DRAM bus. We just ran out of pins on our FPGA and it would have been a significant cost adder for a low volume feature to add the SDI capability.


The RadianceXS has only one video input data bus and it was easy to add on the SDI option.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrp /forum/post/18400822


Answer: PiP/PoP


Each of the six HDMI inputs has its own data bus, plus there are two data buses for analog video inputs. In addition there are three data buses connected to the GF9450 (Two to it and one from it), plus two output data buses and the DRAM bus. We just ran out of pins on our FPGA and it would have been a significant cost adder for a low volume feature to add the SDI capability.


The RadianceXS has only one video input data bus and it was easy to add on the SDI option.

So Jim,


Are you offering SDI on the XS now? This would be standard definition SDI correct?


craigr
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,003 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIR-Engineering /forum/post/18402740


So Jim,


Are you offering SDI on the XS now? This would be standard definition SDI correct?


craigr

Craig:


Yes, the dual SD-SDI input option is now available for the RadianceXS (only). The US MSRP is $500 for the option, and it is "factory install" only.


We can retrofit a unit already in the field but we would charge an additional $75 retail and the unit would have to be returned to Lumagen for the upgrade.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Very good Jim and thanks for the info. I put in an order with Kim yesterday for another XS+ with the SDI option this time around.


craigr
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
611 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrp /forum/post/18412340


Craig:


Yes, the dual SD-SDI input option is now available for the RadianceXS (only). The US MSRP is $500 for the option, and it is "factory install" only.


We can retrofit a unit already in the field but we would charge an additional $75 retail and the unit would have to be returned to Lumagen for the upgrade.

Jim,


how well does the SDI switch from PAL to NTSC and back ?


I do use a X-Card combined with a Pixelmagic SDI out card to

play back various clips in both formats and need to be sure that it switches

almost seemlessly bewteen the two and that the Radiance is able

to switch when imput PAL to 876P and when NTSC to 960P


the Crystalio 2 can do that very well and I wouldn't want a surprise with

the Radiance


Thanks


Michael
 
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Top