AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I and Alan Gouger have been trying to do Active area Scanning with the lumagen HDQ/HDP and our Electrohome Marquee Pj's using Blu ray discs. We are trying to get the lumagens to only scale the active area of the Blu ray scope movies either 800p or 817p depending on 2.35 or 2.40 material so we are not wasting bandwidth on the black area above and below the movie. When setting the aspect ratio to 2.35 and setting timings at :

the image is in the 2.35 ratio and it shows the VRATE at 71.93 HZ

but in the marquee's input screen it shows 58.16, why is this happening? You can also tell by the Judder in pans its not 72Hz

Now when i try other settings given to us by a Marquee engineer.

( i used numbers close to these.)

Refresh or vert freq = 72Hz

total lines = 860

displayed lines = 817

vfp = 10

vsw = 11

vbp = 22

total pixels = 2400

displayed pixels = 1920

hfp = 90

hsw = 148

hbp = 242

I get the image in the 1.78 or close to that aspect even though i have 2.35 set

in the aspect menu for the output.

The marquee can not squeeze the image down to the 2.35 image, everything is tall.

Is there a way to get the lumagen to only scale the active area of the source Blu Ray for scope movies? Is this a bug or something you could add to the Lumie?

Or is there a cropping feature i do not know about that will crop the black areas above and below while using those last timings, therefor not allowing the CRT PJ to scan those unused areas?

I posted also in the Lumagen Forums,

It should work as its under the Pixel Clock limits id think, it just doesn't

have the correct aspect ratio, it stretches it to 1.78/1.85 ? ratio, it should keep it at 2.35 unless its doing it for anamorphic lens which CRT's do not need.

Athanasios

·
Registered
430 Posts
We added this to the Radiance list. We will look into it to see how much work is involved in adding this output mode to the Radiance. Even if we output this mode you still might need to adjust your CRT projector so that the mode gets displayed as a 2.35 aspect ratio.

Best regards,

Randy Freeman

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyFreeman /forum/post/15424795

We added this to the Radiance list. We will look into it to see how much work is involved in adding this output mode to the Radiance. Even if we output this mode you still might need to adjust your CRT projector so that the mode gets displayed as a 2.35 aspect ratio.

Best regards,

Randy Freeman

Thanks Randy, as long as it isn't output ina 1.78 aspect ratio it will work

easily. With the pictured timings is what confuses me. the VRATE shows 71.93

but on the PJ it shows up at 58.16, if that could be fixed to actualy output the lumagens said VRATE then all will be good. Not sure if those actual timings are over the chips bandwidth.

Athanasios

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.