AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched, but I cannot find definitive reasons why one is preferred over the other. Please help here as I want to purchase a scaler for use with my new HT. I am a newbie, so I am trying to understand the whole PJ issue (lip Synch, video processing, frame rates, etc.)

My goal is to improve SD broadcast as much as possible (if possible) and provide excellent DVD and HD cable performance.

I have seen claims that the Lumagen has "much better HD processing" than the DVDO iScanHD+, but what does that mean and why?

DVDO:

I believe the iScan can address the lip synch problem, but the Lumagen cannot.

12Bit DAC

One DVI Input (Big Handicap)

One memory per input

SDI available

Lumagen HDP/HDP Pro

Lumagen has two DVI inputs, iScan has only one.

10bit DAC

Four Memory per input

SDI Available

Cannot address Lip Synch

Can someone help me understand this whole processor issue? Why is one better than the other?

Regarding Lip Synch. My THX Ultra AV Reciever has delay capability built-in, maybe I could use this, but I don't think I can delay the front channels. It would seem that I need to buy another piece of equipment for audio delay, if I select the Lumagen - correct?

I plan to only use a DVI connection to my PJ and have the scaler/processor act as the Video Switch.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Come on guys, most of you have one of these. Why did you pick one over the other? I am trying to make an informed decision.

Thanks.

·
Registered
779 Posts
People in here have already answered that question several times.

You are just too lazy to use the search function.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nope, not too lazy. I have used the search, but I have NOT been able to find the answer. If it is so obvious, please direct to the thread and I would appreciate it.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I used to own the old version of Vision and have recently upgraded to the new Vision HDP. So far, I am very happy with it. I've own other video processors/scalers and based on my observations, Lumagen is the most reliable, provides better picture, and more affordable. I never had a problem with either model. I love the new VisionHDP. Lumagen has a great customer service too.

·
Registered
442 Posts
PQ-wise, I don't think there will be much diff. for SD source - the same Sil504 chip. DVDO may have marginally better scaling (judging purely from Denon's choice for its A1XV) but I can't say cos I haven't seen iScan HD+ in action. I went for Lumagen Vision Pro HDP right away for the features (memories and connectors) and input switching.

For HD sources, I think it's still pre-mature to conclude as Lumagen's HD deinterlacing is still in a primitive stage. I'm having my fingers crossed that they will deliver the advance version as promised (I'm in no hurry as HD broadcast is not available in HK yet).

There's a little edge to have Lip sync done at the video processor (more accurate in theory) but since it could be done manually at my audio processor, I don't weight it as much as the no. of inputs - I have more sources than anyone could imagine and even the Lumagen is a little short of it.

Francis rightly pointed out that Lumagen provides better service - I would say second to none on earth.

Since you're using DVI connection, you can forget about the vDACs cos they're irrelevant.

For your case, I think the question is:-

- which processor has the no. of inputs that matches the no. of sources you have?

Hope this helps.

AK

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Neither unit blows away the other in terms of performance, so there isn't a "wrong" choice as such. The Lumagen definatly has the better feature set, and while I've heard comments about it having slightly better picture quality from a number of places, I haven't had the fortune of being able to A/B the two of them.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Both IMO represent outstanding value for money. It appears that Lumagen does some stuff that the DVDO can't do, particularly the ability to input already deinterlaced 480P and 720P over both DVI and component inputs, and have them scaled along with DVI inputs to the desired output resolution and output over a single DVI cable to the display. The DVDO is a superior switcher IMHO.

Both companies support their products well and both are active participants on this forum, giving us the opportunity to interact with them.

Now if one or both would give us an HQV based scaler. . . . . :)

Dan

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanHouck
It appears that Lumagen does some stuff that the DVDO can't do, particularly the ability to input already deinterlaced 480P and 720P over both DVI and component inputs, and have them scaled along with DVI inputs to the desired output resolution and output over a single DVI cable to the display.
Not quite. The iScan HD and HD+ can take 480p over either analog or DVI inputs, scale them, and output the result over the DVI output. The HD+ can also do this with a 720p DVI input. Neither will will take an analog HD input, though.

- Dale Adams

·
Oppo Beta Group
11,622 Posts
HDSteve,

Both a fine products. I have a Lumagen HDP and untimately I went for it because of the multiple settings per input and adjustable scaling because I like to remove logo when watching News logos from TV.

The DACs were of no interest to me since I use DVI output. Both handle native rate only my Plasma. Audio Delay would have been nice, but I just set my processor for 50ms for the DVD input. I am watching film DVDs anyway.

I can tell you the Lumagen scaling is excellent and I am very happy with my picture and very impressed with the customer support.

Take another look at the features perhaps and your needs and the answer may become apparent.

-- Rich

·
Premium Member
3,284 Posts
I am also interested in comparing Lumagen's next gen product with DVDO's next

gen product ( I understand full specs are not yet released but 4 to 1 HDMI as well

as Realta chip base is understood ) since both of current products are the same price.

The following review gives the DVDO 5 stars and the Lumagen 4 stars but from

reading this forum I believe I should understand that the Lumagen does a better

job with HD processsing? http://www.dvdo.com/new/iScanHDp_HCC_May_2005.pdf

My primary use for the scaler will be to upconvert 480i to 1080i from my Pioneer 59avi

and when I upgrade my TV in a year or so with one with a 1080p HDMI input to de-interlace

DishNetwork Satellite and HD-DVD to 1080p and upconvert my Pioneer 59avi to 1080p.

·
Registered
21,464 Posts
Tony. Lumagen is still developing the firmware for its present generation product. It will be I think about a year before the next generation Lumagen hits the street. Look for some sort or proto at Cedia using I suspect the Realta chip. I am not sure the Realta is the best deinterlacer though. I think Silicon Optix's marketing forced the choice. Look for a big price tag too. Something in the $4 to $5K range. Whenever, we will have a Lumagen that doesn't use the crappy video deinterlacing of the Sil 504.

What will DVDO offer for better deinterlacing of 480i and 1080i/ we will know soon.

Remember if its better 480i video 9as distinguished from film) deinterlacing you want, the only present product is something Faroudja based. The times they are a changing.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonydeluce
The following review gives the DVDO 5 stars and the Lumagen 4 stars but from

reading this forum I believe I should understand that the Lumagen does a better

job with HD processsing? http://www.dvdo.com/new/iScanHDp_HCC_May_2005.pdf
The reason for that was they considered the iScan to be easier to use and cheaper. HCC didn't notice much difference in PQ between the iScan, Lumagen, Crystalio, and Cinematiq, but that's probably more a reflection on them than the products themselves.

·
Premium Member
3,596 Posts
I have experienced the outstanding, personal service provided by Patrick and Co at Lumagen. In my experience, there is no competition! These guys are dedicated to bringing the HD PRO to the ultimate level of performance. I just got a beta of the latest firmware and they've just about nailed 1080/24sf - 1080i is looking good too.

Highly recommended.

·
Registered
21,464 Posts
J. Mike. I agree with what you say but the 1080/24sf and 1080i is with respect to film not video. SD is mostly video and that is where the new chip processors should excell and the old.well . . . .

·
Hello, World!
2,460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Mike Ferrara
I just got a beta of the latest firmware and they've just about nailed 1080/24sf
"just about" implies they haven't quite? :D

Mark

·
Premium Member
3,596 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_H
"just about" implies they haven't quite? :D

Mark
Frankly, Mark, I'm treading new territory here, so I'm not sure what a proper expectation should be. What with the extraordinary image of the Qualia at 1080p, I'm going for the moon, so every little artifact I see will be challenged.

May god help Patrick and Josh ;) :p

·
Hello, World!
2,460 Posts
Good luck to you all! Let us know how things go.

·
Premium Member
3,284 Posts
thanks for all the responses. the Lumagen sounds like a product but without doint SDI mods on my compenents sounds like it is a ways out. the DVDO HD++ is suppose to be out soon with 4 HDMI inputs and an HDMI output.

I guess there is no chance of Lumagen doing a board spin to add several HDMI inputs and an HDMI output before there next gen product?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.