AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys which unit would you recommend.

DVDO VP20 with ABT102 Card at around $1000 LNIB

or Lumagen HDQ $1000 used ( Also any problem going in and out HDMI with this unit using cables to convert DVI?)

I would be using it to up-convert DTV HDMI 480i to 1080P HDMI to Sammy 4665 LCD and also with a component DVD player (Might upgrade to a Oppo and send it 480i over HDMI)

Thanks

JT

·
Premium Member
1,208 Posts
I sold my VP50 and replaced it with an HDQ, which I liked much better. So, my recommendation would definitely be the HDQ in your case. No problem with using HDMI with adapters.

Bob

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
It depends on what bugs you the most: the DVDO has superior deinterlacing, while the Lumagen has better scaling. I think the Lumagen's user interface is also better, and its upgrade procedure a lot more user-friendly.

--Andre

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Does the VP50 do a superior job on 1080i de-interlacing, generally speaking? How about mosquito / macro-block noise reduction?

·
Registered
1,158 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreYew /forum/post/12876918

It depends on what bugs you the most: the DVDO has superior deinterlacing, while the Lumagen has better scaling. I think the Lumagen's user interface is also better, and its upgrade procedure a lot more user-friendly.

Since we're talking about the VP20, it should be noted that better de-interlacing only accounts for SD material. Also, the Lumagen should be noted for its much better color tweaking features. I'm continuingly amazed about by the improvement in PQ when going from an already fairly good greyscale to a near-perfect greyscale using the 11-point gamma equalizer.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are these boxes able to tweak and save multiple settings on one input and recall them automatically? Meaning if I set my DTV box to native resolution it could be sending 480P, 720P or 1080i to the same input how will these units handle this?

Thanks

JT

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
The Lumagen has seperate sub memories on each input memory for 1080i, 480/576i/p, 720p and OTHER (ie anything else). So you are good to go with one of them

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
I would pick the HDQ over the VP20. Now if it were the VP50 pro, I would take that over the HDQ.

I am hoping at some point I can pick up a HDQ for really really cheap to match up with my older projector/projectors.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is there any difference in the scaling or de-interlacing of the HDQ and the HDP?

It looks to my like the only difference is more inputs and 3D comb filter for Svideo and Composite inputs is this correct?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
No you have understood the differences. Essentially, unless you use composite sources, they are the same

1 - 10 of 10 Posts