AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. Just want to say that I am incredibly happy with my Vision!

I have a question though. In the 'out' section of the menu, what is the "size" used for?

I'm using the Vision on a 42" Samsung HDTV monitor. I have everything scaled to 1080i. I've notice that by lowering the numbers on the output size I get a better picture quality. I guess another question is, would lowering the output size damage my tv in any way? I've read the manual but I'm still lost.

Well thanks for reading. Hopefully someone can help me out here. BTW I really love my Vision, and I think it's the best investment I've done to my home theater thus far.

Thanks,

Pedro

·
Registered
414 Posts
Hi, the output->size command adjusts the number of active pixels and/or active scanlines which is traded off against the time for horizontal & vertical blanking. It can be used to adjust for displays that require non-SMPTE standard timings. No, it won't damage your display. By lowering the output size you're just giving it a little more time for horizontal or vertical retrace (which ever one you're reducing).

I saw an older Sony RPTV that also was improved by adjusting output size. Another tweak which worked on the Sony without adjusting the output size was to adjust the Hsync pulse width. If you'd like to try it, (first put your output size back to what it was or if you don't remember just press 1080i to get the default 1080i mode), press "menu",0,9,4,0 and you should see an onscreen adjustment for hsync width, try turning it down/up and see if that makes a difference. If it makes no difference, just press exit and the hsync width will be left as it was.

-Patrick

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.