AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys -

I own a denon 3800 blu ray player and get great blu ray and dvd playback...However, i wanted to know if i get a lumagen radiance XD video Processor can the video quality get even better?

And what exactly does this do, that my blu ray player cannot?

thanks

EDIT:sorry, i meant the XE version

·
Registered
2,064 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstosity12 /forum/post/17050497

Hey Guys -

I own a denon 3800 blu ray player and get great blu ray and dvd playback...However, i wanted to know if i get a lumagen radiance XD video Processor can the video quality get even better?

And what exactly does this do, that my blu ray player cannot?

thanks

EDIT:sorry, i meant the XE version

The short answer is a lot...the longer answer includes a full blown 3D CMS that your system to i) match the REC 601 and REC 709 colour specs spot on ii) maintain an active / hot sync with all of your HDMI devices iii) transcode everything to HDMI iv) and a whol lot more...

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
I'll add the XD and XE will have essentially the same picture. That being said, a lot depends on your overall setup and level at which you value improvement. At $5995 MSRP, and XE is not a small undertaking and most would argue you won't get $6k worth of improvements (though you will get some for sure).

·
Registered
16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Turk /forum/post/17077069

I'll add the XD and XE will have essentially the same picture. That being said, a lot depends on your overall setup and level at which you value improvement. At $5995 MSRP, and XE is not a small undertaking and most would argue you won't get $6k worth of improvements (though you will get some for sure).

Most TV programs are not HD today and some HD signals that are available are very good for movies but not necesarily sports. Can this type of equipement dramatically improve SD TV and really sharpen up those sports programs even the HD TV signal?

Thanks Brian

·
Registered
16 Posts
Also, I'm sure the system is a great calibration tool but is the 1080p output signal .;/steady. Is the output signal really stable and the system takes into account input transiants from various sources like Satellite TV Box, Cable box? i'm assuming the Blue Ray players are stable and the visual upgrade you mention is display calibration related vs a poor signal? Just a guess.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
The signal is rock solid...

·
Registered
1,059 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joelc /forum/post/17050591

The short answer is a lot..

If you have a projector, it is arguably the best scaler on the market. This matters when your screen is large, you sit close, or you use a 2.35 aspect ratio screen.

If you have a 2.35 aspect ratio screen, the non-linear scaling feature is simply amazing. It is perhaps my favorite feature.

If your projector doesn't handle colors correctly (and this matters to you), you can completely fix the problem.

If you have an SD source, it can dramatically clear it up before it gets to your (large) screen via the projector.

If your screen is small, not projection technology, and/or you sit far away you may not get the maximum value out of it.

The only difference from XD to XE is HDMI 1.1 vs 1.3. The only reason you care about this is if you want to have the XE before your SSP/AVR and you plan to use high def bitstream formats like TrueHD and DTS HD. If you use only PCM, the XD is fine.

·
Registered
304 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Carroll /forum/post/17746716

If you have a projector, it is arguably the best scaler on the market. This matters when your screen is large, you sit close, or you use a 2.35 aspect ratio screen.

If you have a 2.35 aspect ratio screen, the non-linear scaling feature is simply amazing. It is perhaps my favorite feature.

If your projector doesn't handle colors correctly (and this matters to you), you can completely fix the problem.

If you have an SD source, it can dramatically clear it up before it gets to your (large) screen via the projector.

If your screen is small, not projection technology, and/or you sit far away you may not get the maximum value out of it.

The only difference from XD to XE is HDMI 1.1 vs 1.3. The only reason you care about this is if you want to have the XE before your SSP/AVR and you plan to use high def bitstream formats like TrueHD and DTS HD. If you use only PCM, the XD is fine.

I own a Pioneer Elite Kuro PRO-151FD, BR source is an Elite BDP-09FD and I usually watch HD via Comcast. The cable run to the display from the media closet was put in before HDMI so I have a Gefen HDMI over cat5 converter which sends all video to the display. My processor is a Classe SSP-800 which has no video processing, it just passes the signal.

Our viewing position is about 12' from the screen.

Would this, or any, video processor make a noticeable improvement in the picture?

·
Registered
16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7ryder /forum/post/17758396

I own a Pioneer Elite Kuro PRO-151FD, BR source is an Elite BDP-09FD and I usually watch HD via Comcast. The cable run to the display from the media closet was put in before HDMI so I have a Gefen HDMI over cat5 converter which sends all video to the display. My processor is a Classe SSP-800 which has no video processing, it just passes the signal.

Our viewing position is about 12' from the screen.

Would this, or any, video processor make a noticeable improvement in the picture?

We have the LG 47LH90 TV and the picture is great, it is the source material that is the poorest. DVD 720p is very good but cable signal in SD is just OK to Good depending on the consumer load demand/bandwidth. HD is very good except again we get distortions. We also noted that not all HD channels are 16:9 and the Zoom scaling is not we we want as we miss the text or subtitles. We do not have a Blue Ray player, but I'm sure we could get used to the picture real fast and that is the problem no uniform viewing standard. Any feedback appreciated.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7ryder /forum/post/17758396

I own a Pioneer Elite Kuro PRO-151FD, BR source is an Elite BDP-09FD and I usually watch HD via Comcast. Our viewing position is about 12' from the screen.

The value for money of the XD/XE for your video chain is poor, in my opinion. Lumagen has pushed their prices up a long way from the intro beta days when I bought mine.

Your main benefit will be cleaning up the SD/HD compression artifacts & mosquito noise from your cable provider.

If you can't dial in the color on your PRO-151FD, you might want the Radiance Color Management System, but I would expect you to be able to do that with an ISF calibration.

Even the XS at $3500 - well, I wouldn't spend that on the chain you are describing. But hey, you bought an SSP-800, so if you have the money, enjoy! You won't get a better video processor.

As alternatives:

You might consider purchasing an Algolith Flea HDMI on the used market. It does excellent noise reduction for your cable source and the price is reasonable.

The DVDO Edge MSRP is $799, and is currently available on Amazon . It provides Mosquito NR and sharpness control. You are paying for HDMI ports you don't need, but that is hard to avoid.

Edit: Used unit I mentioned is now sold.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete /forum/post/17771379

You can also get pretty good deals on Lumagens at videogon

A quick look shows two used units (and several other new ones), but $3K for a used XD is still pretty expensive if you don't have a projector or other large format screen and really need the CMS and scaling...

A new XS is only $500 more at $3495 MSRP.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts