AVS Forum banner

1661 - 1680 of 3414 Posts

·
Registered
7,985 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by raoul /forum/post/12272404

Let's say I decide to buy this processor. How would I calibrate the color? My last projector was calibrated by William Phelps. Does one assume that I'd have to send it to Phelps for calibration/color correction?

No, any reasonably competent ISF calibrator can do it.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by raoul /forum/post/12272404

Let's say I decide to buy this processor. How would I calibrate the color? My last projector was calibrated by William Phelps. Does one assume that I'd have to send it to Phelps for calibration/color correction?

Raoul-Sam

Raoul:

As it relates to Tom comment that "any reasonably competent ISF calibrator can do it" more than includes Tom...meaning, that you will not be disappointed as he did a great job for me.

As an added bonus he also helped me learn enough to be able to do it -- maybe not as well -- myself.

HTH

·
Registered
1,782 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smyth22 /forum/post/12239156

Jim: Does the addition of calibration tools to your lower level VPs mean that the calibration box you were considering for the new year is now unlikely?

It's no more unlikely, but we have not committed to a calibration box at this time.

With color-gamut, etc, the VisionHDP at $1199 seems a great value to me, and not too much to pay even if you just needed the calibration features. I'm biased of course.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlemesle /forum/post/12248597

Can the HDMI source be identified by the VP and automatically assigned to a virtual HDMI input ? ...

Richard.

I don't think this can be selected automatically by the Radiance - other than if they were at different resolutions, then the input sub-resolution memories could detect the difference.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by barend /forum/post/12251397

...Does the Lumagen do HD processing instead of just passing it?

Is a replacement of the outdated dvi sockets planned?

Do you mean about the Vision series? If so, then yes, the VisionHDP, et.al, series all have per-pixel 1080i processing, and all but the VisionDVI have 1080i inverse telecine.

We have discussed a Vision follow on with HDMI, but have not made any plans for this.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by raoul /forum/post/12272383

I'd have to have a lot of DVI to HDMI connectors
But for the savings it's not so bad an idea. What's your best "guesstimate" for timeframe in adding this to the HDP/Q/Pro series?

I believe we are two to three months out for color-gamut in the VisionHDP series, but that will depend on the progress with the RadianceXD software.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Just my opinion but the fact taht Lumagenis going to add both color gamut and color decoding calibration capabilities to the VisionHDP/HDPPro/HDQ is surely a reason to be a loyal customer...look at the value the original owners of theses unit will get over their unit's lifetime...it is amazing...I should be so lucky to get this kind of value elsewhere...

Jim, you keep building and I will, subject to fund availability, keep buying!

·
Registered
916 Posts
Updated the FAQ on non-US prices - I suppose I toned down the content on that one.

I received a private message from an overseas dealer who pointed out that it's not exactly greed that motivates the higher non-US prices (well, not just greed anyway - they've got to make a living too
). Long story short: it's complicated.

·
Registered
634 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrp /forum/post/12273869

With color-gamut, etc, the VisionHDP at $1199 seems a great value to me, and not too much to pay even if you just needed the calibration features. I'm biased of course.

At that price, it's a complete steal. VisionHD customers have already had their expectations surpassed. Adding gamut is simply ludicrous!

·
Registered
54 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomHuffman /forum/post/12272903

No, any reasonably competent ISF calibrator can do it.

It isn't that difficult to do it yourself if you are technically inclined. All you need is an Eye-One Pro, the right software and a basic understanding of how the adjustments work.

I'm not ISF trained, but I've calibrated mine using Calman V3. It contains step by step how-to files from setting black and white levels, adjusting greyscale, colour gamut through to the colour decoder options that are present in the Radiance.

Tim

·
Registered
1,593 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrp /forum/post/12229330

I tend to agree with you on HDMI 1.3, but we seem to be in the minority. I have dropped the HDMI 1.1 RadianceXS, and pushing forward on the HDMI 1.3 RadianceXD. Later we will add a HDMI 1.3 RadianceXS to the lineup.

If you can use DVI-D for video (say by having the video processor after the amp), you may be able to get all these features VisionHDP, VisionHDQ or VisionPro HDP. This is because I am considering adding primary gamut controls for these Vision series processors (this is in addition to the 11-point parametric grayscale and color/hue/offsets already implemented for these).

Not a done deal yet, but now that we have it in the Radiance, we know how big the logic is, and believe we can fit it in the (HDP/HDQ/Pro) Vision series FPGA.

On the Radiance second simultaneous output resolution: We are considering this for the RadiancePro, but the FPGA in the RadianceXD is not big enough. However, you can use a second memory and temporarily change the output resolution so you can view the image using the other HDMI output driving a monitor to avoid turning on your projector. Then just reselect the primary configuration memory when you turn your projector on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmorris /forum/post/12276938

It isn't that difficult to do it yourself if you are technically inclined. All you need is an Eye-One Pro, the right software and a basic understanding of how the adjustments work.

I'm not ISF trained, but I've calibrated mine using Calman V3. It contains step by step how-to files from setting black and white levels, adjusting greyscale, colour gamut through to the colour decoder options that are present in the Radiance.

Tim

Do any of the calibration programs have drivers to adjust the video processors automagically?

·
Registered
267 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrp /forum/post/12229330

I tend to agree with you on HDMI 1.3, but we seem to be in the minority. I have dropped the HDMI 1.1 RadianceXS, and pushing forward on the HDMI 1.3 RadianceXD. Later we will add a HDMI 1.3 RadianceXS to the lineup...

Can you give your best guess on when a RadianceXS might make an appearance?

·
Registered
916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirusKiller /forum/post/12276417

At that price, it's a complete steal. VisionHD customers have already had their expectations surpassed. Adding gamut is simply ludicrous!

Yeah. It looks like Lumagen's worst competitor is itself.

Seriously though, that is incredibly classy of Lumagen to do this. I've never seen that level of continuous support anywhere else, ever. Just amazing.

Assuming this trend continues, just imagine what the XD will do a few years from now...

·
Registered
916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeropoint /forum/post/12278469

Can you give your best guess on when a RadianceXS might make an appearance?

Keep in mind the following;

- Jim has repeatedly stated that there is no time line for the XS as of now (that he will publicly discuss anyway)

- chances are the HDMI 1.3 upgrade for the XD will come out way before the XS, and there's currently no time line for the 1.3 upgrade either

- the XD's not even out yet

So - and take the following for what it's worth, e.g., not much - I wouldn't expect a Radiance XS before the second half of 2008 at the very earliest.

Now - the counter argument would be that all the kinks in making an hdmi/gennum based vp have been ironed out with the XD, and making the XS will be a much simpler, much shorter process. Even so, I wouldn't hold my breath.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by raoul /forum/post/12278322

Do any of the calibration programs have drivers to adjust the video processors automagically?

Raoul:

Two points on this:

- Calibration is part science and part art and, as suc, manual intervention would still be required...the best analogy that I can think of is calbrating one's audio system when after the AUTO EQ has done its thing one nest goes in and tweaks things.

- It is my understanding that CalMAN V 3.0 will have this capability somewhere down the line...when exactly I do not know. I do not know what other calibration software vendors are planning.

HTH

Joel

·
Registered
804 Posts
I just purchased the Sony Black Pearl projector (VPL-VW60) and I am interested in purchasing the RadianceXD video processor. Please let me know where I can buy one.

Are any of the AVS forum vendors selling them?

Thanks.

Tom

·
Registered
916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjenkins95 /forum/post/12280602

I just purchased the Sony Black Pearl projector (VPL-VW60) and I am interested in purchasing the RadianceXD video processor. Please let me know where I can buy one.

Are any of the AVS forum vendors selling them?

Thanks.

Tom

AV Science (this very forum's owners) sell them. See avscience.com. Their contact page is a bit out of date though, as Jason doesn't do sales anymore, but Richard does. Or you can call them directly.

If you want to buy from a dealer near you need to contact Lumagen for a list.

·
Premium Member
1,816 Posts
1. How far off are these Radiance units from going into official release? (They are still in testing phase aren't they?)

2. Is the Radiance Pro version still coming? eta after above is released? What will it offer over the standard vp? HD-SDI input?

3. Are these HDMI 1.3? If not, will there be an upgrade path for 1.3 support? How would that work?

4. Does the radiance handle passthrough of TrueHD and DTS-HD etc?? PCM? How many channels?

I've been a serial dvdo upgrader, but looking at the great support here, I'd like to avoid upgrading to the vp50pro and make the switch to lumagen
TIA!

1661 - 1680 of 3414 Posts