Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

maybe mine's not the first request about that but I'd really love a Lumagen (even a new top-of-the-range model) with SDI input and DVI output. Is there a chance to see it one day? I'd like it to have the present Lumagen PRO's analog input flexibility plus the digital input and digital output (along analog RGBHV output, of course).

Looking forward to hearing from "informed" people!,

Thanks, napp

:)

·
Premium Member
8,104 Posts
There's always a chance, but most companies do not like to discuss future products (Key Digital and Immersive being the exceptions here). I doubt you'll get a truly informed answer.

I'd say my second request is an integrated A/V receiver and scaler (like the Hydra). The Hydra will be too expensive for people like me to afford (i.e., those who have to ask their wives for permission to spend that much cash...).

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
So, again, I just don't see this happening. Demand for SDI is going to be on a downslope from its already minimal level -- for home-theater use.

I, of course, could be wrong. Higher end units, like the suite of aSimilator-based stuff from Immersive, the Leeza, et al. will have SDI, but I can't see it coming to the

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
I am not too keen on an A/V receiver with built in video scaling. Such a component would seem to have a narrow audience since different customers may not find the combination of scaler features and audio features offered to be what they want. My general feeling is that separate components give more flexibility in getting the features I want. Along these lines I would like to see more TV monitors without built in scalers (and without tuners let alone HDTV tuners), where I am sure I can get at the native resolution of the display (using a Lumagen Vision) and don't have to pay extra for a built in scaler I don't use.

A question:

Is DVI a format supporting any number of pixels horizontally and vertically with auto-sensing by the device accepting it?

Or is it a format with a modest finite number of resolutions such as 720x480 and 1920x1080?

If the latter, it is probably not worthwhile for the current Lumagens to output DVI since that would not handle the customizable output resolutions.

Also does SDI and DVI come in 480i form? The primary purpose of Lumagen's current offerings is to handle 480i (576i for PAL) input.

(Lumagen may introduce new models of video processors that take DVI progressive scan inputs and output DVI)

·
Premium Member
8,104 Posts
Allan,

Still, you can't deny the appeal of a single system routing and processing all the audio and video signals in the system. It would certainly simplify things for the end user!

I believe DVI is typically limited to multiples of 8 pixels on the horizontal resolution (I don't think there's a restriction on the vertical). I *think* this might be a limitation on the receiving end's video processing section!

SDI comes ONLY in 480i and 576i form.

DVI typically starts off with 480p, although there are reports that it can handle 480i with some trickery involved (currently not implemented!). 480i is defined in the HDMI standard which overrides DVI.

·
Registered
423 Posts
napp,

I am currently working with Lumagen on upcoming models. oferlaor is correct. Details and schedules are held in confidence. There are a couple models which are in development. The features, which I cannot discuss, are firm on the next unit. The high end model is still open for new features and I am providing input on which ones I recommend.

Bill

·
Registered
462 Posts
Bill,

I would love to see a unit that uses pixel resolution in addition to the HDTV resolution. I think this would be beneficial to those that own fixed pixel projectors. Of course SDI in, as an option, would be icing on the cake. I can't see DVI in since you are depending on the DVD player to do the de-interlacing, but DVI out would be nice.

Tony

·
Registered
423 Posts
Quote:
I can't see DVI in since you are depending on the DVD player to do the de-interlacing, but DVI out would be nice.
My preference would to be to send a digital signal (480i or 480p) to the Lumagen. That way the Lumagen doesn't have to do an A/D conversion to scale or process the signal. Some DVD players do better at 480i than 480p and some do better at 480p than 480i. It isn't necessary to have the DVD player do the deinterlacing (unless your DVD player or other source doesn't support DVI-480i). That is what the video processor is for.

Bill

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.