AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

in my environment it is very often necessary to change sharpness depending on the selected image aspect. 4:3 content needs a sharpness level of 1, lbx because of zoom one of 2 or 3 and anamorphic 0 or 1 to look fine. As the selection of the sharpness is hidden deep inside the menu and sharpness isn't stored together with the selected aspect like with image zoom, this is always very time consuming because of a lot of key presses.

To improve this I would like to propose two changes to lumagen:

1. sharpness should be settable per aspect or for all aspects

2. have some short cut key to scan through the sharpness settings

The first change should be easy to make because the same functionality is already available for image zoom.

The second change could be implemented by using an unused number key. Pressing this key repeatably could scan through the values 0-3 and wrap. This should be a temporary setting. Changing aspect should go back to the stored setting.

What do you think about this?

Cheers,

Emil

· Registered
415 Posts
Hi Emil, I'll take a look at getting that into the next release. It sounds doable but I'll let you know after we take a closer look at it.

thanks for the suggestion,

Patrick

· Registered
415 Posts
Hi Emil, per aspect sharpness settings will be in the next Vision update. Now when you set the sharpness it will ask you if you want it set for all aspect ratios or just the current one. There will be a number of minor additions and improvements in addition to this so definately worth getting. Should be available on our website early next week.

Patrick

· Registered
1,512 Posts
You know, with support like that, I want to buy a Lumagen just on principal.

On second thought, it would support 1365x768, right? Perfect for my Aquos panel, which has a rather lackluster scaler... Hmmmm...

-Jon

· Registered
1,703 Posts
Because the Lumagen's output is analog and because you specify for output resolution only the vertical count (768p in your case) you should have no trouble with the 1365 x 768 TV.

Remember that the Lumagen de-interlacer (a Sil004) has a pixel width of 720 so the final output will have a horizontal resolution of no more than 720 picture details across, relative to the subject matter. I forget how many pixels per scan line the Lumagen scaler works with for even better diagonal lines and edges given 768p as the output resolution choice, it actually is somewhere aroung 1500.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

· Registered
1,512 Posts
Allan,

Thanks. You've added fuel to the fire.

-Jon

· Registered
415 Posts
Emil, the new release (092203) is up on our website ( www.lumagen.com in the support area) and includes your request for per aspect sharpness settings. Enjoy!

Patrick

· Registered
6,302 Posts
Patrick,

The "Click to see what's new" regarding the update isn't currently working on your website; and would you explain the functionality of "genlocking".

Lumagen's customer service has significantly exceeded that of any other product I've ever purchased. Truly impressive!

Thanks,

Richard

· Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi Richard,

for me the link worked without any problem.

Here is the text regarding genlocking:

Genlocking- The Vision/VisionPro are now capable of genlocking. Which means that the output timing exactly matches the input timing. This has the benefit of never dropping a frame of video and also serves to slightly minimize lipsync delay. As it was not originally designed to do this we had to compromise the SMPTE standard crt timings slightly--this shouldn't be a problem for the most part but there is the possibility it may not work with some displays (haven't seen one yet). If genlocking doesn't work simply turn it back off--don't feel too bad as it is very hard for most viewers to spot a frame drop since they occur infrequently and a frame accounts for ~1/60th of a second..

To enable genlocking the output frame rate should match the input. So if you've got an NTSC input the output rate should be set to 59.94 Hz and if you're using PAL is should be 50.00 Hz. Genlocking defaults to off so you also need to turn it on by pressing "menu",0,9,8,1 on the remote. You can check the status by pressing "menu",0,9,8,2. If it doesn't work on your display you can turn it off by pressing "menu",0,9,8,1 again.

Emil

· Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi Patrick,

I installed the new firmware and everything works as expected. BTW, you forgot to mention in your update doc that you also have added the new option Y/C delay. I wanted this feature because I have a very long Y/C cable (40 ft), but forgot it to mention in my feature request. ;)

It seems you have read my mind anyway. :)

Thank you again for the great support.

Cheers,

Emil

PS: The link on the parallel update page still contains the reference to the last update.

· Registered
1,512 Posts
What an excellent product! I'm gonna plan to have one under my holiday shrubbery.

As I understand it, the next firmware release will not only wake you up in the morning, but make an excellent cup of coffee for you, too :D

· Registered
1,512 Posts
OT question about the Lumagen:

Can it transcode the signal on the passthrough port? i.e. take my 1080i output from my HD box and push out an RGB signal?

-Jon

· Premium Member
8,104 Posts
Hey,

I didn't know you guys added Y/C delay!

Wow, AFAIK, this is the second scaler that's capable of doing this (the Rock was the first).

This is a feature I'm very much interested in. I have quite a few questions:

1. What is the Y/C delay adjustment resolution?

2. Is it possible to set the Y/C delay based on input?

3. Is it possible to set the Y/C delay based on PAL vs. NTSC (they would likely have different Y/C values).

4. Is it a horizontal Y/C delay only, or can you also adjust Y/C delay vertically?

VERY VERY cool feature!!

BTW, do you guys have fine position adjustment (i.e., move the entire picture 1 pixel up/down/left/right)?

· Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi Ofer,

Quote:
Wow, AFAIK, this is the second scaler that's capable of doing this (the Rock was the first).
the first (low-cost scaler) was probably the CrystellImage that I own since 2000 now. Also the Vigatec line of scalers has a Y/C delay setting.

Quote:
3. Is it possible to set the Y/C delay based on PAL vs. NTSC (they would likely have different Y/C values).
Why should be Y/C delay for PAL/NTSC be different?

A Y/C delay setting normally compensates for different run-length in the transmission path and this should be the same for PAL and NTSC.

Quote:
4. Is it a horizontal Y/C delay only, or can you also adjust Y/C delay vertically?
There is no vertical Y/C delay in transmission lines, so there is no need to compensate for it. ;) If you have a vertical shift of the color to luminance then there is something wrong with encoding of the source.

Quote:
BTW, do you guys have fine position adjustment (i.e., move the entire picture 1 pixel up/down/left/right)?
In the output mode you can shift the whole image around in very small increments (may be pixel). You can also adjust the size. I use this to match the complete image exactly to my screen. There is some loss of a few pixels on top and bottom of my DLP panel, but I at the end of my zoom range and neither can move the projector nor the screen.

What I am missing a bit is a possibility to shift the complete image, depending on the aspect, up or down a considerable amount, to move a 2.35:1 image to the top or bottom border. There are adjustments available in the input group, but I didn't manage to move the image up and down, but left and right works. It's not so important but it seems to be that this settings of the Lumagen are very limited in their effect.

Anyway, the Lumagen is still an excellent scaler.

Emil

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.