AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm fairly new to CRT projectors, so if this question seems rudimentary to you guys I apologize in advance.

I'm trying to finish hooking up my NEC XG 110, Lumagen Vision Pro, and Comcast HDTV box before the super bowl. The problem I'm having is that the Vision Pro only has the 5 BNC connectors for a HDTV pass-through and the Comcast HDTV box only has component video as an output.

Is there such a thing as a component video to 5BNC cable? Help!

·
Registered
414 Posts
For connecting component to the passthru you connect just 3 cables to the HD passthru inputs. It should have come with 2 sets of RCABNC cables so use one of those. Note that in order to passthru HD component you should have the Pro hooked up to component inputs on the display.

Patrick

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm going to try a direct hookup from my cable box to the PJ with the S-video connector. The NEC XG 1100 does not input component vidio and the Lumagen does not pass-through anything but RBGHV.

·
Registered
414 Posts
gebicd, the Pro passes anything through not just RGBHV, however it won't transcode a passthru signal which it sounds like you need. If the XG 1100 takes only RGBHV then you could get a transcoder for your Comcast box to convert its component HD signal into RGBHV and then hook that up to the passthru input.

Patrick

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks! Is there any differeces in transcoder quality? I'm thinking about purchasing the new KeyDigital component to VGA transcoder for $249.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I had the same issues, and Time Warner gave me the transcoder and cables I needed for free with my SA 3250 Box. You just need to ask the right questions to the right people. The frontline customer support people won't have a clue.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Ben,

The real problem is that with a cable company like Comcast, who has poor customer support, the chance of getting a transcoder is between slim and none.

If anyone has gotten a transcoder out of Comcast, please let us know, and how you did it.

Or, Ben, tell us who you talked to and how you managed this.

·
Registered
463 Posts
As I mentioned, Time Warner serves up cable in NC. In short, I called technical support and asked for the HDTV guru and out popped a guy named Woody. I also went on the SA website and knew the part numbers for the transcoder and cables that I needed. Woody then took the reigns and ordered a bunch of transcoders and some of all of the different cables (even those I didn't need at the time). I initially needed a 5 RCA (RGBHV) to VGA cable to feed a quadscan elite passthrough. When I switched to a Leeza, they gave me a 5 RCA to 5 BNC. I think I used BNC to RCA adapters for the transcoder/Leeza connection. Everything works like a champ. The key is to get past the front line of customer support, who have never heard of using a front projector for watching HDTV, let alone a BNC cable. I'm not saying it is easy, but it is definitely possible. As for Comcast, I have never dealt with them, but I'm sure they have the same ability as TWC to obtain such products - especially if SA if the equipment provider.

·
Registered
463 Posts
One more note. I've noticed better HDTV quality with straight RCA to BNC connections than when I was using VGA connections. I don't know if it has to do with VGA connections (impedance?) or the passthrough path in the different scalers.

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
Ben,

You didn't need a transcoder with your G70. Input A can do RGBHV _or_ Component HD. By running a second cable to your PJ and putting in an IFB11 input card you would run directly from your HD receiver into input A bypassing the transcoder and switching of the scaler. You would then take your scaler output and put it into input B (ifb11). That way you have cleanest signal path and no transcoding of the component signal.

Terry

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.