AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I presently have a Lumagen VisionPro HDP hooked up to a Sony G90. The Lumagen was set up by a celebrated CRT expert (when he calibrated my G90) to project at 1080p. To wit, when you go through the various Lumagen menus I find that the output is set at 1080p. However, it is my understanding that the Lumagen has not yet issued the upgrade to output 1080p. If this is true, what resolution is my Lumagen actually outputting? I will note that DVDs look great on the preconfigured 720p setting; however, HiDef content on the preconfigured 1080p setting is sometimes not as sharp as I would expect. This is particularly noticable on HD images with a lot of similar content, e.g. jungles, forests, statium shots of a crowd. Is there an optimal setting for the Lumagen when marrying it to a projector like a G90 and a HiDef source such a DirectTV HD?

·
Registered
513 Posts
The Lumagen VisionPro HDP has been able to output 1080p for quite a while now...

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
An argument could be made that you should use the 720p for DVD anyway, since scaling it to 1080p is probably not doing anything for image quality. Unless you have a really big screen or you need to because that's the native resolution of a digital device, I don't see the benefit. If you've got a CRT that can handle many resolutions cleanly, and you don't need the pixels because you have an enormous screen, I think 720p would probably be best, though I could be wrong.

On the HD content... For sat/cable content, highly complex moving scenes are sometimes not as clean as they could be, because the signal is bit-starved due to compression. So it could be the source and not your setup, so you should verify that with some good quality HD content (like a D-Theater tape) and see how that looks.

·
Registered
21,464 Posts
You are getting 1080p. The issue is what level of deinterlacing are you getting? For film, probably just bob for 1080i input, ditto for video.

Also in my experience, the Lumagens, either due to inherent bandwidth limitations or filtering inherent to the output D to A dacs, are soft at 1080p. I.e., high frequency detail is being filtered out.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the feedback. At present, I use 720p for DVD and 1080p for HD content. The DVD signal is being fed by a Panny RP-91 with SDI. Hard to imagine getting a better picture playing a Standard DVD. In fact, it is close to theater quality. However, I need to play around with regular TV to come up with an optimal configuration. To be sure, 1080p for regular TV is just not advisable - not that I watch much regular TV with the CRT. With regard to the clarity on some HD content I have wondered if it is a DirectTV/HDTivo/satellite issue. With regards to the Lumagen, I have absolutely no regrets and would highly recommend it to any CRT owner.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.