AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
In Europe we have new laws in operation since June that mean that anything imported must be x % recycleable. These are called RoHS laws. It has meant that virtually every electronics manufacturer has had to redesign their products to use materials that are compliant. I believe Lumagen deemed it uneconomic to redesign this product and the Vision DVI. When HDQ was designed they new what was coming......

Gordon

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hi Gordon,

I think you are getting your WEE and RoHS mixed up, but both apply in this case.

The Reduction of Hazardous Substances (RoHS) rules mean that to sell in Europe we have to have no, or very tiny, amounts of many now decided hazardous substances in our products, both in the parts and in the processes used (solder etc.) These include Lead, Haxa-valent Chromium, Cadmium, Mercury and many, many others and has applied since July 1st 2006. It will ultimately be adopted world-wide in some form.

In addition we now have the WEE (Waste Electronic Equipment) rules which mean that the manufacturer is responsible for the correct and safe re-cycling of the electronic equipment it sells. Either they do it directly or employ a 3rd party to process end of life/returned product.

They will probably have had RoHS problems, maybe they can't get RoHS compliant version of some parts they use in that product?

As you might guess, both of these have made my life interesting for the last year or so - to say the least.

Cheers,

Zax.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Zax: Sorry you are right, I was getting Wee mixed up with RoHS. It's an ROHS thing though and it wasn't that they couldn't get the parts it's just that with the success of the HDQ the numbers for HDPPro were just not worth the relative investment. RoHS I suspect was the cause of alot of the problems with supply of many electronic devices this summer in Europe.

Gordon

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Fraser /forum/post/0

Zax: Sorry you are right, I was getting Wee mixed up with RoHS. It's an ROHS thing though and it wasn't that they couldn't get the parts it's just that with the success of the HDQ the numbers for HDPPro were just not worth the relative investment. RoHS I suspect was the cause of alot of the problems with supply of many electronic devices this summer in Europe.

Gordon

Gordon: Do you like the HDQ as much as the VisionPro HDP? It seems the Pro HDP with all BNC's and 2 SDI inputs would be the one to get for the tweak CRT market. Your thoughts comparing the two processors?

Thanks for your feedback................Scott W.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.