AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I looking to "invest" approx. $2000 or less to get a good video processor. I have narrowed it down to these three and would like to know what people here think would be the best for my NEC CRT.

I would like the processor to be easy to use, multiple inputs, and produce a great picture.

I will be viewing DVD's and some HDTV on this CRT.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
While I like the Lumagen from a picture quality point of view, I'm not sure that the price they command for the pro to get you more inputs and a front panel display justifies the price increase over the Lumagen Vision.

If it were me I would then look at the CS-1 or CS-2 which I think has a tad better scaling that the Lumagen.

I have run them both on NEC 110's and they both do an excellent bob for the money.

Terry

·
Premium Member
8,099 Posts
Terry,

The regular vision unit has only one input of each kind + RCA connectors.

The Vision pro has professional BNC cables + configurable inputs (i.e., you can have more composite inputs, or more component inputs, etc.). I think it's a really great solution to the problem where people are never happy with the specific inputs you get in a particular scaler.

I've never seen the CS-1/2 vs. the Lumagen in a blind taste test. From what I'm hearing, the scaling on the Lumagen is a tad bit more advanced than the FE systems (again, this is not something I've seen with my own eyes yet, so please take this with a pinch of salt).

The CS-X series uses the Genesis scaling engine, doesn't it?

The Lumagen uses proprietary chips designed specifically for the lumagen products. From what I understand, they opted to use a custom engine because they wanted to improve scaling vs. the current chips available today. I believe that's why they get features like 1/4 pixel Y/C delay (because it's done in their scaling engine).

Has anyone ever done a blind A-B comparison between the two scalers?

As both the scalers use the same deinterlacing engine, the scaling engine (putting aside features, and the quality of the analog input/output circuit quality) would really set one apart from the other.

I would love to hear some feedback on this from people.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
In UK I have client who has dropped CS2 in favour of VisionPro on a BARCO CINE9! he has no problem seeing improvement. Also another has replaced his *** Rock with Vision.......They are great products, getting better all the time.

Gordon

LUMAGEN distributor UK

·
Registered
30 Posts
I was able to do head to head comparisons between the CS-HD, the Lumagen Vision as well as a several year old CrystalImage VS2. These were not blind tests.

The CS-HD displayed more scaling artifacts than the Vision. The most notable example I observed was scaling the Criterion DVD of Kurosawa's High and Low - a widescreen (non-anamorphic) black and white film with lots of industrial landscapes, full of telephone wires and angled lines. The CS-HD did poorly with this material. The old Crystal Image VS2 did much better. But the Lumagen Vision did a superb job.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm not hearing too much discusion on the ESI VLS-2000. There are a couple of positive threads on this forum that talk about this scaler. As always, I'm skeptical of some of the word of mouth advertising (i.e. someone with a financial gain to tout a particular product).

Here's the link to the ESI scaler if anyone wants to take a look. It's only sold on EBAY and usually sells for around $500!!!!!

http://www.esielect.com/ESIvideo/FAQ.htm

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
GEBICD: I speak honestly. I could always have NOT mentioned I am the distributor.......Simply going and viewing one might make this all a bit clearer for you. Everyone who owns a particular product is going to be biased towards that device. If you cant get to view one in a dalers then see if any of the manufacturers have a sale or return policy.

Gordon

·
Premium Member
8,099 Posts
gebicd,

if you have any positive to add about that particular scaler, go ahead.

There are quite a few scalers out there that have relatively little press here because they are made by smaller companies, or they are a bit lower-end than what we view as entry level today (or even higher end), or a multitude of different reasons. The fact that there's little data on the Interpolator (a very high end S&W processor) does not mean that it's in any way inferior to its competition... There aren't that many people on the forum that actually used one, that's all there is to it...

If you have a positive experience with this scaler, add a new thread and see where that leads you.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Gordon, I was refering to the ESI scaler and the responses that were posted. Although, I think if you're representing a product it's always hard to be "objective". If the scaler sucked what are you going to say? "I sell xyz scaler and think it's lousy".

I live two miles from where Lumagen is manufactured (Portland, OR) and will probably stop by and see if they have a showroom.

Thanks for your posts.

P.S. I went to Scotland last fall and had a great time playing some of your country's fine golf courses; Gleneagles, Carnoustie, and a couple of St. Andrew courses.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
OK I'll share my bias toward the ESI VLS-2000 since I'm using it right now with my BG1209. It is very easy to operate and produces a fantastic picture, I'm running mine at 960P 16:9 but I went back and forth between 960P and 720P a few times before settling in at 960P. I bet 720P would look outstanding on your NEC.

A couple things I like about it are it has a normal/enhanced black level setting you can switch on the fly (for different sources you may prefer one over the other, with most I prefer enhanced even if you have to turn up the brightness a bit on your projector). Of course this setting or any other is not available on the HDTV pass through.

The detail level adjustment seems to do a better job than the sharpness level adjustments I've used before. I usually run that at 10 maximum. It may help to sharpen up the softening that may occur with scaling, just guessing here, but it works well without the ringing you usually get, at least that's my observation.

Noise filter is adjustable, I usually leave that at 0, sometimes 1 or 2 with cable if there's a lot of grain on that channel.

I haven't noticed the jagged edges or scaling artifacts, so it must do a pretty good job there.

The ESI doesn't have OSD, but it does have a front panel display, which I prefer. I can tweak the picture to my own delight during the movie without receiving any glares from the wife.

I would be curious to know how the ESI stacks up to these other scalers, but I probably will never know unless someone wants to send me a Lumagen or CS. Actually I just bought the new version of DVE (NTSC version), so I will a chance to further evaluate the scalers performance pretty soon.

All in all I'm pretty happy with the ESI and I don't intend to replace it until something comes along that will deinterlace 1080i to 1080P well and at a reasonable cost.

Rod

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
gebicd: I like the odd game of golf myself and believe me....my golf is odd!

I'd hope that I wouldn't get myself in a situation where I had to recommend something that was poor. I'd just not mention it and get out of distributing it fast. Just like retailers I can choose what to sell.

Gordon

·
Registered
51 Posts
Quote:

The fact that there's little data on the Interpolator (a very high end S&W processor) does not mean that it's in any way inferior to its competition...

there are enough data around, only do a good internet search. Oh, yes, I saw it twice , once on NEC 9 inch and once on CINE 9 (run 1000 lines only).

Can't imagine there is anything better, even its technology is old enough to be called not latest. It is the best proof the specification itself means nothing!

Pedro

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.