AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10,728 Posts
Are any current lumagen products firmware updatable to hdcp 2.2, or do we need to wait for a new model?
Hi, with current generation of Radiance 2xxx processors, its not possible via firmware update to get HDCP 2.2 support because they all have only 1080p input.

Lumagen Radiance Pro UHD Video Processors will have all inputs and outputs HDMI 2.0 with HDCP 2.2. The new HDMI 2.0 chips are from Silicon Image and have an internal microprocessor with reprogrammable flash memory. This will allow Lumagen to provide updates when Silicon Image provides a new release and should help to eliminate compatibility issues.

Inputs and outputs are on dual-input, or dual-output, daughter cards. This helps in several ways. When new HDMI chip versions come on line you will be able to purchase HDMI upgrade cards rather than needing to buy a new unit. Using I/O cards also helps if you happen to have a power surge that takes out an input or an output. You can get back running by replacing one I/O card and not the entire unit.

The base unit has six HDMI 2.0 inputs. This can be optioned up to eight HDMI 2.0 inputs. All inputs will support 4k60, 8-bit, 4:2:0.

The base unit has two HDMI 2.0 outputs that support 4k60 8-bit 4:2:0. There is an option to add more outputs.

You can contact Lumagen directly for more details ;)

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. There is no 4:4:4 support?

I'm in the final stages of planning with my theater designer, and I'm trying to decide which route to go. My projector will be 1080p, so a 4k lumagen isn't required, but would be nice to have in the future. Maybe it's just best to stick with a 2xxx unit for now?

·
Registered
10,728 Posts
Thanks. There is no 4:4:4 support?

I'm in the final stages of planning with my theater designer, and I'm trying to decide which route to go. My projector will be 1080p, so a 4k lumagen isn't required, but would be nice to have in the future. Maybe it's just best to stick with a 2xxx unit for now?
Blu-Ray UHD will have 10-bit color depth and 4:2:0 chroma sub-sampling.

Radiance PRO units will be more expensive from current Radiance 21xx units.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
We are close to starting our "Early Beta" program on the Radiance Pro 4k input to 4k output HDMI 2.0 with HDCP 2.2 video processor. This will be the new high-end of our product line as the cost of processing 4k, with 3D LUT running 597 M pixels per second is significantly more than at 148 MHz for HD. For example, the FPGA chip used in the Radiance Pro (after a recent large price increase from the chip vendor) is as much as an entire Radiance 2020 unit.

As mentioned previously, 4k and HDMI 2.0 with HDCP 2.2, require new HDMI chips, and a much larger and faster FPGA than required for 1080p processing. So current units cannot be upgraded. However, we will take a current Radiance unit in trade toward the Radiance Pro.

Initially the Radiance Pro pipeline is the same as the Radiance 2144, with 4:2:2 at 10-bits in the front end, and 12+ bits in the calibration pipeline. We will be increasing the precision in future updates, and are considering changing the Pro pipeline to 4:4:4 in the future.

We are offering a no-charge upgrade from 6 in to 2 out, up to 8 in to 4 out, and extra trade-in value for Radiance units, for Early Beta customers. We are requiring a NDA (nondisclosure agreement) for details on Radiance Pro during Early Beta. If you are interested in more Radiance Pro Beta information, please email us at [email protected].

====

Of course a Radiance 21XX unit is still an excellent choice for creating the best image for 2K sources. If you would like more information on the Radiance 21XX series, please email us at [email protected].

1 - 5 of 5 Posts