AVS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered a pair of full Martys from GSG and was informed it wasn't going to happen anytime soon. So I went with 13 ply Baltic birch for a $50 upcharge ea. At least they are still available. I usually cut my own out of 1" full weight mdf. However the one who must be obeyed (wife) said our happy 39 year marriage will come to a screaming halt if I ever burry the neighborhood in mdf dust again. They should be here by end of the week. I will post pictures.

·
Registered
4,310 Posts

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How long ago did you order?

I ordered a 4 pack of 21" Full Marty's and NSWs about a week and a half ago. I don't think they've shipped yet. Kevin did say it'd be a few weeks.
You might want to call him, I did and he said if they get any mdf it is not nearly the quantity they ordered. I don't know how much of the birch they had left.

·
Registered
21 Posts
We can't get a pair of Elusive 1099s and even if we could, they wouldn't sound to great open baffle. Ugh

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Picked up 44 pieces on Friday,

1 x 4 x 16's to finish the other half of my metal roof project. $6.65 each, quite a jump from last fall when I did the first half but I have to get it done. Our local lumber yard (not a big box store) has a staggering amount of stock, the lady that owns it maxed out her lumber purchases in the winter as usual before the typical price jumps as spring building season gets started.

Sniffing around, the stocks of lumber at the mills is increasing as the homeowner market projects have dried up due to meth addiction being a cheaper alternative. If you don't have to use lumber, don't purchase lumber! I have some birch ply in my garage for speaker projects as I tend to allow it to dry for a year to get better results. It will get to dry a bit longer since I have more fun things to use my cool tools on...

I was thinking of planting tomatoes in a box of pressure treated wood--uuuuhhh, no! I do have plenty of cinder blocks so will make a cinder block box which works better anyway.

Throw in increasing long term interest rates and soon homeowners won't get a free pass on paying the mortgage, I'd say there will be more homes entering the market while housing demand dampens due to rising interest rates. The mills are really punching out product as you would expect at Heisenburg prices so the lumber bubble will pop just like it did last year. No worries!

Maybe it's time to get a 3D printer to make speaker boxes? Hey, they are building houses with 3D printers so it might be an option in the future. Load tapped horn program, load material and press go. The Ronco speaker-matic...just set it and forget it! :)

I think I said too much, publicly acknowledging sheets of birch ply and forty-four 1x4x16's in my garage might lead to the mafia making me an offer I can't refuse. Pushed my speaker building to this summer and purchasing more lumber for another project this fall. Part of the fun of building things.

Welcome to inflation nation--do you think disco will come back to match just like in the '70's? I remember when I was in 1st grade that the tube top was a pretty cool style...my kind of "retro style" that needs to come back. Skip the bell bottoms and polyester though...just no.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
When I picked up my last pile of 5x5 18mm Baltic Birch last October, it was $38 per sheet.

Today it is $53 per sheet.

Sure glad I don’t need 14 sheets this time.

Chris

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
One of the best-worst examples of this inflation that I have seen is for Zipboard, the green exterior sheathing. Early last year, normal prices were $25/sheet, now they are $55/sheet. So crazy right now. I spent $26 on 4) 2x4x8 a few weeks ago, just as twisted and knotty as they've always been at $2.25 a board!

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Yeah, I saw the price increase at GSG for the flat packs. 50% increase in price for the 4 packs. Apparently they were effectively operating at a loss when the raw goods prices went up up up and economies of scale didn't materialize. Really kicking myself for not pulling the trigger when I had the chance. What's causing the shortage? Just the spring time rush to start building houses again?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Yeah, I saw the price increase at GSG for the flat packs. 50% increase in price for the 4 packs. Apparently they were effectively operating at a loss when the raw goods prices went up up up. Really kicking myself for not pulling the trigger when I had the chance. What's causing the shortage? Just the spring time rush to start building houses again?
Just read that suppliers cut back when the pandemic hit not wanting to sit on a surplus of goods they can't sell. Turns out lots of people wanted to use their free time for projects and production has been trying to play catch up since. Also read something about an increase in tariffs on lumber from Canada.

Kickin myself too for not stocking up on supplies I needed for my current projects.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Current demand is less tied to the pandemic and more tied to the stupid low interest rates for new mortgages. Sure, people wanted to leave the cities in droves at the onset, but it is the rate allowing it to happen. I don't think prices will ever get down to where they were again unless we have another housing bubble burst.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
In my area I can get MDF cheaper than medium quality 11ply plywood.

I almost always use plywood because it’s lighter but that’s changing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts