AVS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A lot have probably seen this already, but for those that haven't here is a nifty chart that's a nice guideline for lumens, screen sizes, and ambient light conditions from ProjectorPeople .

I called them today and asked a few questions about this chart and it's a basic reference for a generic white unity gain (1.0) screen. I know there are a ton of screen variables to take into consideration, but this is a nice little baseline... of course higher gain screens will change things just as will darker gray screens, but like I said this is good to get an idea where your projector falls for a white plain jane unity gain...

The chart is interesting too. I see business projectors are able to handle higher amounts of lighting than dedicated HT projectors. It's all a trade off though because HT projectors are made for video and business presentation projectors are more for Power Point presentations or stills. When they go to video mode the lumens drop, but being the owner of a business projector I can say they are pretty bright even in video mode. This was something I was always curious about. It makes sense that presentation projectors are built brighter and for more room lighting than a HT projector since most are in classrooms or conference rooms that generally are not completely dark. I'm not suggesting they are better, each type of projector has it's strengths and weaknesses.

Anyway, I thought this was an interesting chart. It seems like this and Bud's spreadsheet could/should go hand in hand... just look up your projector specs and lumen rating, then room conditions, and match it to a list of screens for those conditions.

If it doesn't end up getting used for something like that, (which I think it should and would work on myself but someone else has already started this, so no sense stepping on each other's toes...) it is definitely a nice way to find out what your PJ can handle at a quick glance.

Projector People also have a lot of good guides over there so it's worth looking around at their tutorials and HT articles. I thought they all were an interesting read...

Bill

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah John I thought it was really slick and never saw anyone post it on here before. It looks like a very good tool to get an idea of a place to start for a person's screen.

AVS and PP are affiliates, well PP advertises here... they should get permission to have that reposted as a full article (and of course linked since PP came created it, credit goes to where it's due) and it should be a sticky in here and the main screen thread.

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
I created this a couple months ago before I ran across the PP calcs - a little bit different approach, let me know what you think (I haven't done anything meaningful on that site's domain, just parked this here for now):

http://www.gubgub.com/calc/projector-lumens.html

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
Hmm, guess not...

·
Registered
5,128 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadOf2 /forum/post/0

Is it working? I tried it and nothing happened.

It should be - type in a screen size, screen gain, pick an aspect ratio, and change target luminance value if desired, and press the Calculate button - the screen width, screen height, and required projector lumens fields will be updated.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It worked for me, and sorry if I didn't say it earlier... nice work Brad

·
Registered
5,128 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbassett /forum/post/0

It worked for me, and sorry if I didn't say it earlier... nice work Brad

Thanks Bill, and thanks for your continued contributions in the laminate screens area - lurking on the sidelines and benefiting from your/prof's/others' research, and planning a DW 2.35:1 screen.

I wonder if some people may have gotten confused with my spartan web UI ;-) - its all javascript / client side code, so you push the button and bang the result updates, no load of a new page to see results - maybe I should make the results more prominent somehow - flashing bold red text maybe ;-)

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
Oops, forgot about Firefox - thanks mech! Fixed now (hopefully)...

·
Registered
19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte /forum/post/0

Oops, forgot about Firefox - thanks mech! Fixed now (hopefully)...

Sorry, I should have put in there that I was using Firefox 2. It is working now. Thanks!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts