AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to purchase my first projector and screen. I currently have a samsung 61" DLP in my finished basement. This screen will replace it.

I decided not to completely darken the room and be able to use it to watch football or tv when it is light outside. I dont mean bright full lit room, but ambient light you would watch football on sundays.

I also want to be able to completely darken the room at night for watching blurays.

I met with 2 different HT companies already. The first person suggested a high lumen projector (2000 plus) to be able to view it in the daytime and said I could dim it at night to not have an insanely bright and washed out image.

The 2nd person I met with recommended using a lower lumen (800-1000) with a higher contrast ratio.

I am looking for recommendations for projectors to use in this dual setting and would like everyone's opinions regarding the 2 different recommendations.

I am excited to finally make the leap!

Thanks in advance for your advice!!

·
Registered
555 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwlaw99 /forum/post/15424216

Well it's hard not knowing your budget or room size. The Epson 6500UB was just tested with 680 lumens in best picture mode (pretty high for this mode) to 2175 lumens in dynamic mode. Looks like best of both worlds for you. Review is otherwise great as well.

http://www.projectorreviews.com/epso...nce.php#bright

You need a DaLite high power screen to bounce the light back to where it came from instead of bouncing towards the viewer. You also want a high lummens projector to get the picture light level higher than the ambient light in the room. Have a dark wall or dark curtains behind the projector to absorb the light that is bounced back to the area the viewers will be seated to watch the video.

That is what I do with my IN 82 projector which I use in the lower power mode to extend the bulb life. I have drapes over the worst case windows nearest the screen to at least reduce the amount of light hitting the screen.

The combination of the high gain of the screen, the reflection of the light back to where it cam from, and preventing direct sunlight from being on the screen allows me to get a fairly good picture for viewing football and other things during the day. Your problem can be solved.

Any direct sunlight on the screen usually creates a very poor image that is not really useful to even watch brightly illuminated football games. The HiPower screen is amazing at solving the problem of ambient light coming into the room during the daytime. The light just must be coming in at an large angle between the line between the screen and the viewer to do it best job of reducing the effect of daytime ambient light.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwlaw99 /forum/post/15424216

Well it's hard not knowing your budget or room size. The Epson 6500UB was just tested with 680 lumens in best picture mode (pretty high for this mode) to 2175 lumens in dynamic mode. Looks like best of both worlds for you. Review is otherwise great as well.

http://www.projectorreviews.com/epso...nce.php#bright

Thanks for your reply, it probably would help get answers with more info!

91" Ceiling, the room is 173" wide(Screen Wall) and 250" long.

I plan on having an 84" or 92" screen depending on which will be most appropriate.(I prefer to go 92" if possible, but I am concerned with the wall height for the 92".

I plan on having 2 rows of seats, with the back row on a riser. I will black out the wall the screen is on with a frame and accoustic cloth/curtains. I also plan to have a stage underneath the screen which will be black as well. The ceiling is a drop down, I am replacing the white tiles with black accoustic tiles. I have a window and a walkout to the right. The walkout will be behind the last seats and the window will be in front of the first row. I am going to have darkening curtains installed for use...But I would like to enjoy hdtv and sports with moderate ambient light.

Thanks again!!!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmay /forum/post/15429414

You need a DaLite high power screen to bounce the light back to where it came from instead of bouncing towards the viewer. You also want a high lummens projector to get the picture light level higher than the ambient light in the room. Have a dark wall or dark curtains behind the projector to absorb the light that is bounced back to the area the viewers will be seated to watch the video.

That is what I do with my IN 82 projector which I use in the lower power mode to extend the bulb life. I have drapes over the worst case windows nearest the screen to at least reduce the amount of light hitting the screen.

The combination of the high gain of the screen, the reflection of the light back to where it cam from, and preventing direct sunlight from being on the screen allows me to get a fairly good picture for viewing football and other things during the day. Your problem can be solved.

Any direct sunlight on the screen usually creates a very poor image that is not really useful to even watch brightly illuminated football games. The HiPower screen is amazing at solving the problem of ambient light coming into the room during the daytime. The light just must be coming in at an large angle between the line between the screen and the viewer to do it best job of reducing the effect of daytime ambient light.

Thanks for the advice. What do you think of the dalite vs stewart? I have seen good reviews of the stewart gray screens as well...is it worth it to pay a little more for the stewart?

It seems that some of the better projectors for darkened movie viewing would be average in ambient light, but the brighter projectors for ambient light viewing would mean giving up some quality of the darkened theatre movie viewing. I am trying to find the best projector for darkened HT, but one that will still provide good ambient light HDTV.

I currently have a 6187 Samsung in this space. It suffers when there is a lot of ambient light and provides a beautiful bluray picture at night. My goal is to keep the same level of quality with ambient light that I have now.

Thanks again!!

·
Registered
387 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dude Abides /forum/post/15431984

Thanks for your reply, it probably would help get answers with more info!

91" Ceiling, the room is 173" wide(Screen Wall) and 250" long.

I plan on having an 84" or 92" screen depending on which will be most appropriate.(I prefer to go 92" if possible, but I am concerned with the wall height for the 92".

I plan on having 2 rows of seats, with the back row on a riser. I will black out the wall the screen is on with a frame and accoustic cloth/curtains. I also plan to have a stage underneath the screen which will be black as well. The ceiling is a drop down, I am replacing the white tiles with black accoustic tiles. I have a window and a walkout to the right. The walkout will be behind the last seats and the window will be in front of the first row. I am going to have darkening curtains installed for use...But I would like to enjoy hdtv and sports with moderate ambient light.

Thanks again!!!

If you are going to ahve any ambient light, then you got to go with a good lumen projector. I didn't see how much you were willing to spend, but I would recommend the Epson already mentioned, or the Infocus in83 if it's within your budget. IMO, contrast and black levels are great and all only if you are going to be viewing in a batcave. If there's going to be a light on, you gotta have lumens. The Infocus in83 would work perfectly. And it's contrast levels are right up there with the best.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ondaedg /forum/post/15432688

If you are going to ahve any ambient light, then you got to go with a good lumen projector. I didn't see how much you were willing to spend, but I would recommend the Epson already mentioned, or the Infocus in83 if it's within your budget. IMO, contrast and black levels are great and all only if you are going to be viewing in a batcave. If there's going to be a light on, you gotta have lumens. The Infocus in83 would work perfectly. And it's contrast levels are right up there with the best.

I'm willing to spend up to $7k if it is justifiable. I think it would be worth it to pony an extra $2k if it is going to make a difference.

I am definitely looking at the Epson 7500.

My Priorities are:

1)HT Bluray/PS3-Xbox 360-Batcave dark

2) HDTV/Sports in Ambient Light

3) PS3/360/Bluray in ambient light

What do you think of the JVC RS20 vs the Eps7500?

I am also considering the Panny AE3000, Sony VW60/70/HW10 and the mitsubishi HC7000.

It seems all are good projectors and their owners are mostly very happy. Just trying to decide on the best one.

Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by ondaedg
Below is a (very) rough draft of the room. I based it on a 84" screen to maximize lumens in ambient light and because of the height of my ceiling.

HT Layout.doc 135k . file

Attachments

·
Registered
2,494 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dude Abides /forum/post/15433240

I'm willing to spend up to $7k if it is justifiable. I think it would be worth it to pony an extra $2k if it is going to make a difference.

I am definitely looking at the Epson 7500.

My Priorities are:

1)HT Bluray/PS3-Xbox 360-Batcave dark

2) HDTV/Sports in Ambient Light

3) PS3/360/Bluray in ambient light

What do you think of the JVC RS20 vs the Eps7500?

I am also considering the Panny AE3000, Sony VW60/70/HW10 and the mitsubishi HC7000.

It seems all are good projectors and their owners are mostly very happy. Just trying to decide on the best one.

Thanks for the advice!

RS20 is either the best option in your price range or a rip-off. You might wanna wait till Art Feierman gets an RS20 to review and compare to others, should be in the next two weeks.

·
Registered
555 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dude Abides /forum/post/15432027

Thanks for the advice. What do you think of the dalite vs stewart? I have seen good reviews of the stewart gray screens as well...is it worth it to pay a little more for the stewart?

It seems that some of the better projectors for darkened movie viewing would be average in ambient light, but the brighter projectors for ambient light viewing would mean giving up some quality of the darkened theatre movie viewing. I am trying to find the best projector for darkened HT, but one that will still provide good ambient light HDTV.

I currently have a 6187 Samsung in this space. It suffers when there is a lot of ambient light and provides a beautiful bluray picture at night. My goal is to keep the same level of quality with ambient light that I have now.

Thanks again!!

The worst possible screen is a low gain gray screen from any vendor. The any ambient light hitting it will be reflected over a very wide angle insuring that you can never get a good picture to watch during the day.

Remember the goal is to reflect the ambient light away from the place where you are watching TV. The gray screen will do nothing except reduce both the picture brightness and ambient light by the same amount resulting in no improvement in picture quality.

The goal is to be in the high gain reflection part of the picture to get maximum brightness of the picture and to minimize the reflection from any ambient light which will come mainly from somewhere else other than the screen.

I specified a particular screen, the high power, not just the DaLite brand. The high gain of the high power screen and its reflecting of the light back to the light source away from the viewer is what is important.

The result with a high gain retro directive screen (i.e the DaLite High Power) is the viewer will get maximum brightness from the video image with maximum direction of ambient light away from the viewing position. That results in the picture quality in ambient light if you set it up correctly.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmay /forum/post/15439908

The worst possible screen is a low gain gray screen from any vendor. The any ambient light hitting it will be reflected over a very wide angle insuring that you can never get a good picture to watch during the day.

Remember the goal is to reflect the ambient light away from the place where you are watching TV. The gray screen will do nothing except reduce both the picture brightness and ambient light by the same amount resulting in no improvement in picture quality.

The goal is to be in the high gain reflection part of the picture to get maximum brightness of the picture and to minimize the reflection from any ambient light which will come mainly from somewhere else other than the screen.

I specified a particular screen, the high power, not just the DaLite brand. The high gain of the high power screen and its reflecting of the light back to the light source away from the viewer is what is important.

The result with a high gain retro directive screen (i.e the DaLite High Power) is the viewer will get maximum brightness from the video image with maximum direction of ambient light away from the viewing position. That results in the picture quality in ambient light if you set it up correctly.

Thanks for explaining that out. That makes sense to have the brighter screen to reflect ambient light.

I decided to get the Epson 7500 after viewing it and a couple others today. I read info about the stewart screens, which confuses me. It says grayhawk is superior in ambient light and the firehawk is excellent in ambient light. I am going to have a 92" screen. Would the 1.25 gain of the firehawk be adequate?

Thanks again, this is all new to me and I appreciate the advice. I am going to read more on the dalite screens too.

·
Registered
23,182 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmay /forum/post/15439908

The gray screen will do nothing except reduce both the picture brightness and ambient light by the same amount resulting in no improvement in picture quality.

While that is generally true a gray screen combined with a bright projector can help fight the ambient light without forcing a person to the high ft-lamberts images that a person would get with high lumens combined with high gain for the screen (and where cutting the lumens because the images are too bright means less lumens to fight the ambient light coming in). Also, gray screens can have directional layers too, like the Grayhawk that ends up around .92 for gain, but not sure if you would call that a low gain gray screen.

I've asked Da-Lite for a gray version of the High Power for years since it could do even better at retaining ANSI CR and could be combined with high lumens from a projector for fighting lights on or coming in without having the images be super bright, but it sounds like it would be a difficult thing to make.

If the ambient light is from above or below the DNP .8 gain screen that kills light from sharp vertical angles very well could be a good option too.

--Darin

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by darinp2 /forum/post/15445632

While that is generally true a gray screen combined with a bright projector can help fight the ambient light without forcing a person to the high ft-lamberts images that a person would get with high lumens combined with high gain for the screen (and where cutting the lumens because the images are too bright means less lumens to fight the ambient light coming in). Also, gray screens can have directional layers too, like the Grayhawk that ends up around .92 for gain, but not sure if you would call that a low gain gray screen.

I've asked Da-Lite for a gray version of the High Power for years since it could do even better at retaining ANSI CR and could be combined with high lumens from a projector for fighting lights on or coming in without having the images be super bright, but it sounds like it would be a difficult thing to make.

If the ambient light is from above or below the DNP .8 gain screen that kills light from sharp vertical angles very well could be a good option too.

--Darin

Thanks! I am so excited to get everything finalized. I wish I could wake up tomorrow and have it done.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.