AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does higher lumens in a DLP increase the chance of seeing rainbows. I was at a friends house last night to see his Infous LP350 on a 100" diag. Screen. We were sitting about 2x screen width and I thought the picture was great (no visible screen door, no rainbows).

I was thinking of getting the Infocus LP530 or the NEC LT260 and was wondering if moving up ~2000 lumens from the ~1300 lumens of the lp350 would increase the chance of seeing rainbows.

I will be throwing a 120" diag (96" wide) 4x3 image and sitting ~18ft from the screen, so I am more than 2x the screen width. I am not in a dedicated HT, so There will not be total light control at all times. I do have room darkening shades, but there will be lights on at times. That is why I would like the higher light output.

thanks

Dave

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Contrast is what counts (as far as my experience shows) in seeing or not seeing rainbows. With higher lumens, you will get a higher apparent contrast ratio, which will make the rainbows more noticeable. I couldn't find any color wheel specs on the 350.

Keep in mind that the 260 is a very long throw projector with an obscene screen offset requirement (both of which make placement difficult) and, IMO, is a little bit too bright for its own good (hard to get the contrast up really high -- and it makes for more rainbows). I would get a 240 instead, unless you absolutely have to have it going with the lights on or the windows open.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.