AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Textc>

This looks like a great screen for low lumen/low contrast projectors. How many millions of dollars does this cost? http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

------------------

"The Bargain Hunter"

·
Registered
349 Posts
Hi,

If this screen is real, there is no need to buy any plasma for ambient light conditions. NICE option, indeed!

Walter

------------------

Graz, home town of the Terminator...

·
Registered
349 Posts

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Well, it could be kinda cool if it's for real.

The link damon posted to impart-usa looks like the manufacturer or distributor, and doesn't seem as confused as the dealer.

If anybody gets a good look or finds a credible review, I'd love to hear about it. Pricing would be nice, too.

------------------

Mike Kobb

(Formerly "ReplayMike", but no longer affiliated with the company; these opinions are mine alone.)

[This message has been edited by JustMike (edited 10-08-2001).]

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
C'mon, somebody close by go take a look!

------------------

Joe

"I'm a Dapper Dan man!"

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
I've already made the call, I'll give pricing tomorrow morning

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
I'm incredulous about this product. I could image that one could create a screen which would reject ambient direct lighting (such as the lights right above the screen in the pictures on the lumenstar website. However I'm not sure how they could reject diffuse ambient light that's coming from all over. In the worst case, how about a point ligth source which is right next to the projector, how could that be rejected except maybe in a very small sweet spot.

Tryg, I hope you get to look at one of these and put it through it's paces.

-phil

·
Registered
578 Posts
This screen sounds great.... hope it is!

If it's not way outta line price-wise this could AT WORST be a great 2nd screen maybe for day-viewing when you just don't want to live in the dark to "watch the big screen".

Why do some of you guys have to knock products before you even know anything about them? That's just annoying.

Maybe the screen turns out to be a total dud, but so far none of you negative posters know that for sure, and you really make people feel like dirt for posting info about new 'possabilities'.

I remember getting the same garbage when I posted about www.scramtech.com who's also working on an innovative new screen that looks interesting enough to AT LEAST keep an open mind about.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
You guys crack me up.

Doesn't it seem a LITTLE fishy that the only evidence they present to back up the claim of better ambient light rejection is a picture of a screen setup you would never have in a real home theater. What possible reason is there to have overhead lights shining directly down on the screen during a movie? Is someone planning to sit 2 feet in front of the screen and do their taxes during the film or something?

No actual measurments of light rejection from any angle.

No measurements of gain or brightness off axis.

Contrast ratio? From a screen?????? How can a screen possibly limit contrast to 500:1?

·
Registered
6,227 Posts

·
Registered
4,321 Posts
Quote:
And how far would I need to sit back so that I did not notice the stiches !!!
Phat,

Actually a good point, as I understand it the 120" is actually four 60" units seamed together.

I'm sure it'll do the job in a presentation room.

Kei Clark

Digital Connection

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
When I decided to post this new screen I was not expecting so many regative reaction especialy from a Moderator, considering he's probably never seen one before and much less be able to aford one.

When I spoke to my projector dealer Mr Koka from VandA products he was on the way back from the meeting in Chicago where he personallly tested this screen and, he was totally impressed with it. We both were at CIDIA and we both took a good look at BLACK STAR from VUTEC and he told me that this creen is a totally new technology. But comes with a price a 120" d. would be aproximately 13,000.00.

So my sugestion is until you see one dont bash it.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Well, I hereby volunteer to be their first guinea pig should they ever decide to try the high volume, low margin approach. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

------------------

Mike Kobb

(Formerly "ReplayMike", but no longer affiliated with the company; these opinions are mine alone.)

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Angeli662:
When I decided to post this new screen I was not expecting so many regative reaction
I think people are just being skeptical. Skepticism is healthy!

Mike

------------------

Join the NYC-area HT club! Send me e-mail!

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Quote:
I was not expecting so many regative reaction especialy from a Moderator
As mine is the only Mod post I think you are pointing at me ???

I was only trying to make light of the cost (I think it looks great) and as we know most screens have samples available was making a joke that if I wrote enough emails perhaps I could make one cost free...

I thought it was funny (well nearly anyway http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif ) but perhaps I took too many funny pills this morning....

BTW never assume someone's financial status, the 120" screen would come to 6-7 days after tax wages... not bad for a 28 year old with no formal education http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/cool.gif My HT is budget orientated as my priorities lie in a tropical villa to surround it with first...

------------------

[email protected]
HTPC without using windows... GUI Front Ends for Home Theater

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.