AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Having trouble understanding difference between Pro vs Non-Pro when it comes to switches and dimmers. Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
146 Posts
depends.... how many bulbs and what the total wattage is you need each dimmer to handle. a quick google search and you can learn more and see what wattage each model dimmer is rated for.

also if you buy a bridge get the smart bridge pro. its more feature packed and well worth it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
depends.... how many bulbs and what the total wattage is you need each dimmer to handle. a quick google search and you can learn more and see what wattage each model dimmer is rated for.

also if you buy a bridge get the smart bridge pro. its more feature packed and well worth it.
Thank you, Gerard. It looks like I'll be fine with the non-Pro models, just wanted to confirm no other (major) differences. As for the Hub, I've read a lot of poor reviews/complaints on the Hub Pro, calling it "a step back." Would appreciate your thoughts/experience.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I've read a lot of poor reviews/complaints on the Hub Pro, calling it "a step back."
Nonsense. "Pro" hub adds additional integrations, and removes nothing compared to regular version. Just make sure you get version 2 if you want HomeKit integration.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you both. Interestingly, it looks like PRO adds layers for security and A/V, neither of which I'm concerned with - my primary focus is lighting and HVAC. Will certainly look into it. And thank you for the comment re: the presence of the neutral wire in the non-Pro switches and dimmers.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the non-pro and recently had an experience where using the app caused the lights to strobe rapidly. I called Lutron who said they cannot help because my LED bulbs were not on their official bulb compatible list. This particular fixture had 3 bulbs in it. I replaced one of the bulbs with a different brand and somehow this solved the problem. My electrician was mystified. I don't know if using the Pro hub would have made a difference here.

Also, a general limitation with Caseta is that if you install on a 2 or 3 way switch it will make the other switch inoperable. I don't know if using Pro would make a difference there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts