AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi there everyone, I’m considering re-wiring a lot of my home’s switches with Caseta dimmers, but before I take the plunge I wanted to clarify a few things about how it works.

1-One main goal would be to dim separate groups of lights with one single hardware control, so I want to make sure I can do this.

For example, our living room has a set of six ceiling lights controlled by one switch, and then also a chandelier controlled by another switch.

Am I correct in thinking that if I replace both of the switches with Casita dimmers, I can then add a pico remote control, and use the Pico remote to dim both zones, as one big grouped lighting zone, from the pico’s single set of controls?

2-I Also wanted to confirm that only the pico remote can dim multiple zones from a single control, correct? There’s no way to program the Caseta dimmers that are connected to the actual electrical wiring, to Control anything other than the zone they are wired to?

What would be really ideal, for me, would be to control multiple zones from the actual dimmer switch connected to the wiring (So that I would not have to clutter up the walls with extra pico remotes)

We never really want to turn on only one zone in that room without the other at the same time, so it would be nicer if either of the two actual dimmer controls connected to the wiring, could just group together and always control each other from either of their individual switches.

If there’s some more expensive or fancy system that does this, I would be interested, but only if it’s one I could install myself. I Don’t really have the budget for a system that can only be installed by certified installers, or one where I would have to use their services every time I’m ready to add another zone, make a change in the program, etc

3-I’m not sure if the footprint and layout of my house is appropriate for the Caseta system. It’s a four floor townhouse, about 3000 ft.² total

The Caseta hub would be on the 2nd floor. I’d also be happy to buy a Caseta repeater, and place it on the third floor, if that would help with things. However, the first and fourth floor would still always be one floor away from either of the repeaters.

4-One other question I had for now is the 50 device limit. I was under the impression this limit is a function of the Caseta hub that came with the starter kit I ordered. However, I thought I was reading some thing about how if you swap out that hub for the pro version, you would have a higher device limit?

Just curious about this since I don’t think I would ever reach the 50 device limit (I made a spreadsheet of all of our different lights and fans), nor would I necessarily want to replace that many switches at around 50 bucks per switch. However, I was curious for the longer-term.

I think that was all my questions for now. Thanks in advance for any guidance anyone can offer!

·
Premium Member
692 Posts
I will do my best since no one else has replied.

#1 - Yes, a Pico remote can be set up through the app (using the hub) to control any lights you want. One Pico could be set to turn on/off every light in your system if you wanted. For example, I set my wife up with one Pico remote that turns on/off all our holiday lights (Xmas trees, string lights, table displays, etc.).

#2 - You cannot set a physical dimmer or switch to control multiple lights, only the light it is wired to the dimmer/switch's "load." The only way to control multiple lights from one device is either the Pico or a Scene in the app. I think you would need to get a custom installed system with more expensive switches (e.g., Control 4, Savant, or a higher end Lutron system) to do this. I could be wrong but I don't know of a DIY system that includes this feature. The Pico remotes are really useful for this purpose.

#3 - You can use one repeater and one plug-in dimmer to extend the range of the hub. For example, you could put the hub on the second floor, repeater on the fourth floor (so their overlap will cover the third floor), and a plug-in dimmer on the first floor. The plug-in dimmer and repeater just need to be within 30 feet of the hub to extend the range. The plug-in dimmer acts just like the repeater, one hub can only use one of each.

#4 - With either hub, you can add up to 75 devices. This change came about at some point from the original 50 device limitation. Just remember, the hub and repeater count as devices, as do Pico remotes, motion sensors, etc. I am at around 70 devices. Worst case scenario, you just need to set up a second hub and treat it like a second home.

This link has lots of information:

·
Registered
152 Posts
Are you pairing the Caseta with a smart home ecosystem such as Apple HomeKit? I can’t speak for the other ecosystems, but you can group light switches together in the HomeKit app to act as one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
692 Posts
Are you pairing the Caseta with a smart home ecosystem such as Apple HomeKit? I can’t speak for the other ecosystems, but you can group light switches together in the HomeKit app to act as one.

Lutron Caseta's app can group lights together in Scenes, which can be done in other systems, like Wink and SmartThings. However, the OP's second question was about whether an in-wall dimmer/switch can be programmed to control multiple lights, and the answer is "no." The physical switch can only control the light that is wired to the "load" side of the dimmer/switch. Groupings can only be done through the app or Pico remotes.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
By96, thanks so much for the thorough responses, very much appreciated! I also read through a lot of the FAQ you linked to, very informative.

That is great news about the increase to the 75 device limit. I made a spreadsheet and even if I replaced literally every light switch / ceiling fan / bathroom fan in my home (which I don't think I would since that would be costly and overkill for things like closets. etc), it would be around 50 devices, leaving 25 slots for pico remotes, and even other possibilities like motion sensors, motorized shades or lamp modules. So I think I would be in good shape there.

Also good news that you can use a repeater AND a plug-in dimmer to extend range. If I had both it sounds like the 4 floors could be covered pretty well.

That makes sense that only the pico remotes cna control multiple zones. This limitation is acceptable for being a DIY system.

2 more questions I thought of since posting, for anyone who may know:

-I noticed there are some Pico remotes that have 4 equally sized rectangular "scene" buttons, are those compatible with the Caseta system, or just teh more expensive RA systems Lutron makes? There are some zones where that type of wall-mounted remote would make a lot of sense.

-Not sure if this is appropriate to ask on AVSForum (and I can edit this out if so) but are there any recommendations of places to buy from, that have any pricing discounts if you're buying a few dimmers at once? Everywhere I've looked is around the same price give or take a few dollars.

Thanks!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

I do have an iphone and have started to experiment with Homekit (my Honeywell alarm system is tied into it even though it has its own app as well).

In general though I would never want to use my phone to turn any lights on or off, I would alway want to use physical wall-mounted switches to control scenes. I am not sure if that answers your question or not.

·
Premium Member
692 Posts
By96, thanks so much for the thorough responses, very much appreciated! I also read through a lot of the FAQ you linked to, very informative.

That is great news about the increase to the 75 device limit. I made a spreadsheet and even if I replaced literally every light switch / ceiling fan / bathroom fan in my home (which I don't think I would since that would be costly and overkill for things like closets. etc), it would be around 50 devices, leaving 25 slots for pico remotes, and even other possibilities like motion sensors, motorized shades or lamp modules. So I think I would be in good shape there.

Also good news that you can use a repeater AND a plug-in dimmer. If I had both it sounds like the 4 floors could be covered pretty well.

That makes sense that only the pico remotes cna control multiple zones. This limitation is acceptable for being a DIY system.

2 more questions I thought of since posting, for anyone who may know:

-I noticed there are some Pico remotes that have 4 equally sized rectangular "scene" buttons, are those compatible with the Caseta system, or just teh more expensive RA systems Lutron makes? There are some zones where that type of wall-mounted remote would make a lot of sense.

-Not sure if this is appropriate to ask on AVSForum (and I can edit this out if so) but are there any recommendations of places to buy from, that have any pricing discounts if you're buying a few dimmers at once? Everywhere I've looked is around the same price give or take a few dollars.

Thanks!
It is my understanding that all of the Pico remotes can work with Caseta. Here is a link to all the available Picos:

The link will show which remotes are available for Caseta (which is all of them). However, be warned, the four scene remotes aren't cheap!!

Personally, I spent hours on eBay and found most of my dimmers and switches at discounted prices, even though I only bought brand new. I picked up a few at full price at Amazon, Home Depot, and Lowes, but the majority were through eBay. For example, I won six plug-in dimmer kits (including remotes) for around $200 when they usually cost $50 each.

If you want to look around, here is the Caseta forum:

·
Premium Member
692 Posts
I do have an iphone and have started to experiment with Homekit (my Honeywell alarm system is tied into it even though it has its own app as well).

In general though I would never want to use my phone to turn any lights on or off, I would alway want to use physical wall-mounted switches to control scenes. I am not sure if that answers your question or not.
The Caseta app is great, but if you don't want to ever use your phone, and you want DIY, Pico remotes will be your friend!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Lutron Caseta's app can group lights together in Scenes, which can be done in other systems, like Wink and SmartThings. However, the OP's second question was about whether an in-wall dimmer/switch can be programmed to control multiple lights, and the answer is "no." The physical switch can only control the light that is wired to the "load" side of the dimmer/switch. Groupings can only be done through the app or Pico remotes.
So I have an open floor plan with a Caseta dimmer in the kitchen and living room. In HomeKit, I can group these two switches together so it l works like it’s on the same load. In the HomeKit app, it controls the dimmers in unison. That’s a given. But if I control the switch in the kitchen, it will also control the living room dimmer in the background via HomeKit and match the dimming percentage exactly.

·
Premium Member
692 Posts
So I have an open floor plan with a Caseta dimmer in the kitchen and living room. In HomeKit, I can group these two switches together so it l works like it’s on the same load. In the HomeKit app, it controls the dimmers in unison. That’s a given. But if I control the switch in the kitchen, it will also control the living room dimmer in the background via HomeKit and match the dimming percentage exactly.

I have never heard of that function. That is really cool. I don't use HomeKit personally. Sounds like that could really help the OP.

·
Registered
-Lars
1,406 Posts

Thanks!
Don't hesitate to look on eBay. I have also purchased quite a few of my devices on there and was able to purchase them a pretty good prices compared to other places. I have Caseta throughout my home now, as well as in my theater, and love the simplicity and options it offers. While maybe not as powerful as some home automation platforms, it offers a lot of functionality and pretty straight forward installations, at a very reasonable price.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I use Lutron Caseta..dimmer switches, have my whole house with them, about 50. I use Amazon echo dots to voice control them all. Or my iPad, iPhone or wall switch.

Reactions: by96
1 - 12 of 12 Posts