AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to install some dimmers in my home. I'm looking at getting the Maestro IR and then using IR learning to have the ability to control it with my universal remote.

I have no interest at this time in having a whole home control system, but could see wanting that in the future (assuming this recession ever ends).

Is there anything I should do now when getting the dimmers to ensure future compatibility or do I just deal with it at that point?

Another question is if I have a bunch of light switches in the same plate, can I just have one of them be Lutron and the others be standard light switches (obviously I won't get dimming on those) or do all lights in the same plate need to be Lutron? What about if a light is sharing a ceiling fan control?

Finally, is the Maestro IR the best product to use? I also see they now have Maestro Wireless but I don't know if that is overkill.

Thank you for the help and please let me know if this is the wrong forum for these questions. I didn't see anything specific for lighting in AVS.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddave12000 /forum/post/17050965

I'm pretty sure Lutron has some Maestro dimmers that are directly compatible with Universal remote - RF so you wouldn't need the IR version dimmers.

I have a Harmony and it is IR, but I think I may upgrade to an RF at some point so I can hide a few components. Do the dimmers also work with Harmony?

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Yes and no. It all depends on which dimmer and how you want to control it. If you put the IR Maestro in location where the RF extender can get a flasher to it, then yes, that will work. If you want to use RF to control, it, then no, it won't work.

Get a URC remote, you will be happier.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Does the 1100 have infra-red in addition to RF or only RF? If it sends both you can get the Maestro IR and just point the remote at the dimmer and control it that way (assuming the remote can learn IR commands). I'm sure it can as I have an older model and it can learn commands.

·
Registered
6,093 Posts
Spam.

Now I know which lighting solution to avoid.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
And no link to a website. Not even good spam.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts