AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put this in the HA forum but actually thought it might make more sense here

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


I want to install some dimmers in my home. I'm looking at getting the Maestro IR and then using IR learning to have the ability to control it with my universal remote.


I have no interest at this time in having a whole home control system, but could see wanting that in the future (assuming this recession ever ends).


Is there anything I should do now when getting the dimmers to ensure future compatibility or do I just deal with it at that point?


Another question is if I have a bunch of light switches in the same plate, can I just have one of them be Lutron and the others be standard light switches (obviously I won't get dimming on those) or do all lights in the same plate need to be Lutron? What about if a light is sharing a ceiling fan control?


Finally, is the Maestro IR the best product to use? I also see they now have Maestro Wireless but I don't know if that is overkill.


Thank you for the help and please let me know if this is the wrong forum for these questions. I didn't see anything specific for lighting in AVS.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
639 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongu /forum/post/17014689


I put this in the HA forum but actually thought it might make more sense here

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


I want to install some dimmers in my home. I'm looking at getting the Maestro IR and then using IR learning to have the ability to control it with my universal remote.


I have no interest at this time in having a whole home control system, but could see wanting that in the future (assuming this recession ever ends).


Is there anything I should do now when getting the dimmers to ensure future compatibility or do I just deal with it at that point?

if down the road you want to do a whole-house lighting system, anything you put in now will have to be replaced. However, you could always install a system controlled dimmer that provides local control and then hook that up at a later time (although that can be an expensive option).

Quote:
Another question is if I have a bunch of light switches in the same plate, can I just have one of them be Lutron and the others be standard light switches (obviously I won't get dimming on those) or do all lights in the same plate need to be Lutron? What about if a light is sharing a ceiling fan control?

you can mix/match

Quote:
Finally, is the Maestro IR the best product to use? I also see they now have Maestro Wireless but I don't know if that is overkill.

Maestro IR is a good device

Quote:
Thank you for the help and please let me know if this is the wrong forum for these questions. I didn't see anything specific for lighting in AVS.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv /forum/post/17018916


if down the road you want to do a whole-house lighting system, anything you put in now will have to be replaced. However, you could always install a system controlled dimmer that provides local control and then hook that up at a later time (although that can be an expensive option).


you can mix/match


Maestro IR is a good device

Thanks, a couple of followups.


Out of curiosity, what type of products do people put in for whole home lighting automation? I thought it was Lutron but I didn't see anything specific on their website.


That is good news about the mix/match


Is there any benefit to the Maestro Wireless over the IR?


Thanks again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
742 Posts
With Maestro IR, you'll need a clear line of sight to control the dimmers. The Maestro Wireless is RF, so a clear line is not needed. Your universal remote will also factor into which system is right for you. I haven't checked, but I suspect the RF products are a lot more expensive also.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
You can use the Maestro IR dimmers ans they will be fine. If you decide to have a whole home lighting system then the question becomes how many zones of lights would be on the system. Lutron has 2 differant types of RF home lighting systems depending on functionality and number of zones. One would be the RadioRA system and the other would be HomeWorks RF. You can alway contact Lutron and they can explain the differances.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
91 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongu /forum/post/17023903


Thanks, a couple of followups.


Out of curiosity, what type of products do people put in for whole home lighting automation?

In my remodel that is underway, I am putting in a HomeWorks 4 system controlling 40+ loads. Since the remodel was quite extensive, I went with the hardwired option. It also has RF capabilities if I want to add on after the remodel is done, and don't want to run wires.


It's not cheap by any means, but since our remodel was quite extensive, it turned out to be a small percentage of the total cost. At least that is how I am justifying it!!!! ;-)


--Mohit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
121 Posts
If you want to have future compatibility with an automation system, installing a controllable wireless system now will allow you not to have to change anything out later. Lutron's Homeworks RF system is a tremendous, reliable product and can be controlled easily with Crestron. It is also 25% off the regular prices right now to make it a bit more cost comparable to the lower quality alternatives out there.


FYI, I am hearing there will most likely be a new RF system introduced at CEDIA in a few weeks, so if you can hold off until then, that would be prudent.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
639 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongu /forum/post/17023903


Thanks, a couple of followups.


Out of curiosity, what type of products do people put in for whole home lighting automation? I thought it was Lutron but I didn't see anything specific on their website.


That is good news about the mix/match


Is there any benefit to the Maestro Wireless over the IR?


Thanks again.

Brand new construction we would go with a wired series 4 or 8 system. If it is just a lighting system into an existing home (no remodel work) then we would go with either a HomeWorks or RA system depending on functionality desired and budget. For a remodel, a wired system would be used for the new construction work and then come back and use wireless for the finished parts of the residence.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top