AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting ready to install a temporary dimmer in my theater till my budget recovers. I have a MIR-600 which can handle 600 watts, I want to use this for my main lights which total 500 watts. The only thing stopping me is I'm not sure if I can use this on a 20 amp circuit. Is it safe, I can't find any rating on the dimmer. Since I'm not going over the 600 watt load on the dimmer can I use this or does it have to be able to handle the full 20 amps?

I'm gonna call Lutron later today but just wondered if anyone on the forum knew.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I have the spacer system, so I'm not quite sure if this applies, but if any of the tabs are removed from the edges of the dimmer switch you have to derate its wattage capability.

http://www.lutron.com/product_technical/ganging.asp

Sorry, can't answer the 20-amp part.

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
You should be fine, I wanted to use a timer on a bathroom heat/vent that was on a 20 amp breaker. The timer was rated for 15 amps but like your scenario the draw from the heat blower (vent wired to another switch) was less, so I was advised from a local supply house that it should be fine and successfully connected the timer.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Kellogg /forum/post/0

I'm getting ready to install a temporary dimmer in my theater till my budget recovers. I have a MIR-600 which can handle 600 watts, I want to use this for my main lights which total 500 watts. The only thing stopping me is I'm not sure if I can use this on a 20 amp circuit. Is it safe, I can't find any rating on the dimmer. Since I'm not going over the 600 watt load on the dimmer can I use this or does it have to be able to handle the full 20 amps?

I'm gonna call Lutron later today but just wondered if anyone on the forum knew.

I placed mine on a 20A breaker. As another poster stated, if you remove any of the tabs, the total wattage it can handle decreases. It should say right on the dimmer on the tabs.

·
Registered
246 Posts
The rating only applies to the actual load, at least as far as real usage and saftey are concerned. I am sure that there may be some codes that say differently, but the only power going through the dimmer is the power needed for the lights. With a 600w rated dimmer you will be fine running 500w worth of lights.

It will work, I don't know if it will be legal.

Hope this helps,

Brian

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.