AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I know this is going to come off sounding stupid, but it may help someone else. I know the specs for the spacer system dimmers claim a minimum of 60 watts, but I always questioned what that meant. I was hoping it was only the ability to dim happens above 60 watts, but apparently they mean all function whatsoever. I just ran an experiment with my step lights which only draw 14 watts total. I was hoping the dimmer would at least power them to full on or full off. I didn't care to dim them at all because they are already so small they didn't need any dimming.

So if anyone else is wondering about using a spacer dimmer to control a zone drawing less than 60 watts, forget it. I know this sounds stupid, but I'm hoping I'm not the only idiot on this forum who was curious.

The good news is, once I introduced another 60 watt bulb into the equation everything worked fine, and I could even dim the step lights which were powered by a 12V transformer. So if anyone is wondering about dimming through a transformer, it's no problem with the standard spacer dimmer (sps-600). Now I just have to figure out where I'm going to put this extra light bulb that I don't need.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
That's funny - in my circumstance I find I would like to have *heating* in the HT in the summer! Not cooling in the winter. Because the room is so insulated he air conditioning is extremely efficient in there (and in the basement in general).

·
Super Moderator
21,380 Posts
I made a similar mistake with RadioRA2 dimmers

put in a new RR2 system to replace the original RR system

then I upgraded all my bulbs to dimmable LED bulbs

the standard RR dimmer will not see LED bulbs (not enough load) and will "hunt" for a load : the classic solution is to leave one conventional bulb installed in each room:

the proper solution would have been to specify the correct RR2 dimmer that is designed for LED bulbs !

1 - 7 of 7 Posts