Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello team

I got (5) SPS-600 remote wall dimmers from Lutron and cheap ( $0.50/ft) rope lights from Lowel's.

The two don't work together. Can anyone suggest rope lights which are dimable and work with the Lutron remote wall dimmers?????

·
Registered
150 Posts
mzk4c3,

What I do is to use the Lutron IR controllable lamp dimmer (I can find the actual name and part # if you need it) for my rope light. Both the Spacer and the Lamp dimmer use the same codes, which I programmed into my Pronto. They both respond to the same scene and up/down type commands which works out well for how I use them.

·
Registered
150 Posts
It's the cheap stuff (Sunbeam, I believe); I got it at Sam's Club for around $8 for 25 feet. You can't cut it to custom length (like the good stuff from Outwater.com), but it is terminated in a standard wall plug and you can daisy chain multiple lengths easily.

I just plug it into the Spacer lamp dimmer and it works fine.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess i got to trade in two of the special order SPS-600 and get two lamp dimmers instead.

I got Lowel's to price match a Lutron dealer and paid $60 /each.

I hopt they don't hit me with a restocking fee.

For my planning, how big is the unit that plugs into the outlet??

How does the wall dimmer switch control the unit???

I was trying to stay awayfrom RF???

·
Registered
150 Posts
If you need the wall switch to control the rope lights, you'd be better off with the Spacer Wall switch and a Wall Mounted Master Control unit, which can control an entire gang of Spacer units (as long as they are mounted together in the same box). I use an IR remote to control both my main lights through the SPS-600 and the Lamp Dimmer (mounted in a closet and controlled with an IR emitter). (Both are controlled together (same command hits and dims both, etc.)

Here's a place to see the units:

http://www.mmlighting.com/spacers.htm

If you do it the wall-unit way, you would connect wiring in your wall through the proper conduit and outlets to meet code (electricians help me out here) to then tie in to the ropelight. I think there was a recent discussion regarding rope lights, wall wiring, and code compliance that you might want to search on.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Mzk,

not sure what spacer you have but make sure they match your rope lights,

low voltage ropes will not work with spacer 120v.....

bart,i also use multiple lamp dimmers:)along with sps-600-bl spacer,

1,spacer-4 ceiling cans

2,lamp-fiber stars

3,lamp-ropes

4,lamps-floor mounted lights on screen.

Tommy

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mzk4c3
I guess i got to trade in two of the special order SPS-600 and get two lamp dimmers instead.

I got Lowel's to price match a Lutron dealer and paid $60 /each.

I hopt they don't hit me with a restocking fee.

For my planning, how big is the unit that plugs into the outlet??

How does the wall dimmer switch control the unit???

I was trying to stay awayfrom RF???
Don't do that. The issue is not with your SPS, but with your rope light. The lamp dimmer modules use the same IR code, BTW, so if you have two in close proximity, you will not be able to independently control them. Better to get a standard 120VAC rope light, and you should have no problem dimming with the SPS dimmers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.