AVS Forum banner

2581 - 2600 of 2625 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
So far, Hubitat has been the most reliable Lutron plugin/controller I've used. Not a single missed action or command. I'm just using it for Lutron devices, so I haven't messed with Zwave or Zigbee.
That's great. The one good reason to add Zigbee or Z-Wave devices to the mix is for sensors. There are a much wider array than are available from Lutron. Even motion sensors as the Lutron ones are quite large. I especially like the NYCE Zigbee sensors. They are small and work really well in stairwells at/near the foot of the stairs. If you do add battery sensors you need to add some wired repeaters to get a reliable system. I find Zigbee to be more reliable and easier to deal with especially with the current state of Z-Wave 700 series chipset.

·
Registered
315 Posts
So far, Hubitat has been the most reliable Lutron plugin/controller I've used. Not a single missed action or command. I'm just using it for Lutron devices, so I haven't messed with Zwave or Zigbee.
I just got the new model and started playing with it, are there any written instructions for how to set it up for RA2? It certainly doesn't seem as straight forward as Roomie or HomeSeer which will down load the config right from the main repeater.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just got the new model and started playing with it, are there any written instructions for how to set it up for RA2? It certainly doesn't seem as straight forward as Roomie or HomeSeer which will down load the config right from the main repeater.
Instructions here (illustrations are for Caséta, so adjust as necessary forRadioRA 2): Lutron Integrator - Hubitat Documentation
If you've got more than a few devices, use the configuration list method as documented in step 5. It's a one time deal. At the end of the install you will have in your Hubitat device list a Lutron Telnet connection, your main repeater(s), and all the physical devices.

·
Super Moderator
21,382 Posts
Lutron cellular shade battery issue
I have one cellular shade that is going through new batteries every few weeks: Other cellular shades in same house don’t show this issue:I have followed all Lutron guidelines
Lutron says to fill out ’dead battery questionnaire’
anyone see this? Shade is over 5 years old so out of warranty

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Lutron cellular shade battery issue
I have one cellular shade that is going through new batteries every few weeks: Other cellular shades in same house don’t show this issue:I have followed all Lutron guidelines
Lutron says to fill out ’dead battery questionnaire’
anyone see this? Shade is over 5 years old so out of warranty
You can try resetting it, but I've had to return one for repair for the same issue.

Reactions: markrubin

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
At first, I really didn't like the interface. But after a few hours, it makes sense and now I prefer the browser-based interface to the standalone software options.

The logging with timestamps is also great.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
That's great. The one good reason to add Zigbee or Z-Wave devices to the mix is for sensors. There are a much wider array than are available from Lutron. Even motion sensors as the Lutron ones are quite large. I especially like the NYCE Zigbee sensors. They are small and work really well in stairwells at/near the foot of the stairs. If you do add battery sensors you need to add some wired repeaters to get a reliable system. I find Zigbee to be more reliable and easier to deal with especially with the current state of Z-Wave 700 series chipset.
I have Z-Wave stuff connected to my alarm panel. I really hate the lack of reliability compared to the Lutron products. Maybe Zigbee is better in this regard?

It seems like they have a leg up on Z-Wave with the Amazon, Apple, and Google alliance.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have Z-Wave stuff connected to my alarm panel. I really hate the lack of reliability compared to the Lutron products. Maybe Zigbee is better in this regard?

It seems like they have a leg up on Z-Wave with the Amazon, Apple, and Google alliance.
Z-Wave controllers are already niche products, so an alarm company controller is a niche-of-a-niche. I'd say my Z-Wave stuff is fairly stable now on Hubitat even as there are still minor issues with the new Z-Wave 700 chipset. Once the mesh is stable the system works pretty well.

It will be interesting to see where all these "alliances" go. Lutron is on the Zigbee Alliance board, Thread board, and are a member of the "Project Connected Home over IP" group. Silicon Labs produces components for both Zigbee and Z-Wave. Amazon appears to be sticking with Zigbee, the new Echo Show 10 has a controller in it.

·
Registered
27,014 Posts
I had a whole house of Zwave in my previous residence. My new place is all Radio Ra2.

To say the reliability and feedback of Lutron is light years ahead is an understatement. It is as bulletproof a system as I have encountered. Drop ZWave and go Lutron - you'll wonder why you you ever had ZWave.

Reactions: markrubin

·
Super Moderator
21,382 Posts
You can try resetting it, but I've had to return one for repair for the same issue.
I was thinking of hard wiring the shade using a Lutron CSPS power supply to get around the battery issue:
do you think that will work?

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
I was thinking of hard wiring the shade using a Lutron CSPS power supply to get around the battery issue:
do you think that will work?
It's worth a shot, maybe get a cheaper power supply first to test it.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Does any know if the Caseta Smart Hub Pro is supposed to support the same Integration Protocol command to query battery status that the RRa2 repeater supports? Just about everything else works with my HA system driver, but not that.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
I posted this in another thread responding to someone who knew nothing about Lutron. Thought it might be also useful here.

Lutron is very different than any other company in the space. They are the 800-lb gorilla in high end lighting with the patents and product line across many different markets, segments, all across the world. As for them exiting the residential market, their founder invented the first solid state dimmer in 1959, along with Lutron releasing the first IR controlled dimmer, first linear slide dimmer, first whole-home lighting control system, first customizable dimming system for different light sources, and the first 2-Way RF whole home lighting control system, etc etc....

Every company making RF switches is paying royalties to Lutron if they use things like polling. So yea, don't lump them in with other random companies that have withdrawn from the residential market or failed. Put some respect on their name, as they say.

They are also family owned privately held company, which allows for more longterm decision making. Anything is possible, but there is zero evidence based on 59 years of Lutron as a company to have any concerns about them suddenly exiting the residential space.

So what are you getting for your money if you buy a Lutron system? Let me list a few that matter to me personally:

Reliability: Lutron has a ~60 year track record of best in class reliability. It's what they built their company on and virtually nobody with actual experience with Lutron products will dispute that. There are plenty of 20-30+ year old systems still running perfectly and they try to keep parts available for obsolete systems for 10-15 years. The latency is much lower than Z-Wave and when properly installed, commands are received and executed 100% of the time. Clear Connect uses a dedicated and heavily regulated frequency, the others do not. It's the most robust and reliable wireless system there is, period. Any disputing of this fact is just silly and disconnected from 20+ years of evidence and tens of thousands of reviews from end users of competing products.

No mesh network needed, no hops, no rebuilds, no firmware updates to fix bugs from the 100s of manufacturers trying to work with a standard that has lots of optional features and not every company properly implements. I (and apparently many others according to reviews) was lucky to get even 1-2 years from most of my Zwave switches. My Z-Wave hub recently got an update with like 80 bug fixes for all the devices from different manufacturers that weren't working as they should according to the spec.

An open system with 500 different parties will never be more reliable than a well-designed and implemented closed ecosystem like Lutron where they control the design, manufacturing, and testing of all software and hardware to work perfectly together. That's just a simple fact.

Customer support: Lutron has a ~60 year track record of exceptional customer and technical support: You want to speak to an actual engineer on the phone? Sure, no problem. Even their level one tech support people know more about their products than just about any other company I've dealt with. This is especially impressive for a company with thousands of employees. They will send you any part or product you need right away if there's even a question about whether or not it's functioning correctly. No RMA forms to fill out, no waiting to receive the product back, no credit card hold, etc.....

Ease of use: When you buy a Lutron product, you will not be a beta tester. The product will have already been thoroughly tested and should function as expected. Just plug and play, no research or forums needed. There won't be any 700 series Z-Wave style "fun" that takes months of updates to resolve.

Quality: You get high quality construction and 100% consistent finish with every product. This is a pretty basic standard that many companies fail to meet.

Picos, Picos, Picos: There is no other product even close to the size, versatility, reliability, and battery life. There's 30+ models to choice from with all the engraving and customizable options you could ever want. You can get them with a nightlight, control Sonos, shades, lights, appliances, etc. Use them on a tabletop, or add them to the an existing switch gang without cutting any holes, or stick them on any surface, move them around as often as you want. All with 10 years battery life and the same reliability as the rest of the system.

This is a benefit of designing a system with hub and spoke topography that can use both 1-way and 2-way RF devices.

User interaction: The switches and keypads are designed with attention to all the important details, like tactile feel. The Maestro style button has the best tactile feel of any switch I've tried. The SeeTouch keypads also have such a nice feeling when pressing the buttons with great tactile feedback. The buttons are rounded so it's easy to press the button you want and the engraving is angled upwards so it's much easier to read than an engraved flat button. You can also have spacing in between the buttons for areas were you need to press it quickly while you're walking. Little details like that make the all the difference compared to other options.

Custom engraving and backlight: There is nothing easier to use then keypads with engraved and backlit buttons, period. No previous knowledge of the system is required, no flipping the whole bank of switches trying to find the light you want. You see a button with the light icon and "Kitchen", you know exactly what you're turning on.

I've seen so many videos of people showing off their HA systems with all these banks of switches and to trigger a scene/action you have to triple tap the top or bottom of one of these switches (that all look the same) while touching the top of your head and standing on one leg at the same time. That's great if you live alone or want to take the time to train your family, but don't try to tell me it's just as easy as pressing a single button with a clear backlit label.

Not to mention how much easier it is to use a backlit keypad at night.

The TableTop keypads are another super useful and unique product. I have one by each bed, and also in the living room and theater to control the lights, shades, and scenes. They're engraved and backlit as well along with battery or plug in power. Very flexible.

Eliminate wall ache: Using keypads, you can eliminate large banks of switches everywhere. I plan to use hybrid keypads everywhere there would be more than one switch and place the excess dimmers/switches in a network room. That's not for everyone of course, but it's perfect for me. Even a simple room like a bedroom would need a 4-gang of switches: Lights, lamps, fan, shades. So I can eliminate three of those. It's even more useful for rooms like kitchens that have multiple layers of lights.

Options: Over 40 color options for switches/outlets/wall-plates. No other company offering Z-Wave or the like can even come close to that.

Interoperability: Lutron has published a very clear and easy to implement protocol so even though it's a closed system, it can be integrated with virtually any HA controller. Phantom keypads are a nice feature as well.

Consistency in the little details: All the shades raise and lower at the same speeds, large lighting events don't popcorn.

Shades: The Lutron shades are the quietest and have the best battery life on the market. They've also been the most reliable in my experience. The batteries last 3-5 years and the warranty is up to 7 years. They integrate perfectly with the rest of the lutron controls and system. No third party hub needed.

I could go on and on, but since I've already made this post way to long, I'll stop.

So yea, you're paying a lot more, but you're getting a lot more options, reliability, ease of use, aesthetics and more. It will not be worth it to everyone, but saying that there's no value in it is just ignorant.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Totally agree. As someone who started 20 years ago with an X-10 system, I went with Radio RA 2 in 2004 and have never looked back. I am up two a dual repeater system with about 120 devices controlled including lights, shades, and HVAC. I’m sure I’m only exploiting half of what I could be doing (I need to look into those Pico remotes). Whenever I look at any other home automation system, the first question I ask is will it work with Lutron? If not, I keep going.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I've continued having difficulty with RR2 and wireless networks via Parallels on Macs. I've been successfully using RadioRA2 on Macs ever since it came out, but wireless never quite works well. I usually choose the Bridge option, and that works well. Now I see they offer the "Network Conditioner" feature, and I'm wondering if anyone has had success making WiFi work reliably via Parallels. Thanks for any ideas!

·
Registered
97 Posts
I've continued having difficulty with RR2 and wireless networks via Parallels on Macs. I've been successfully using RadioRA2 on Macs ever since it came out, but wireless never quite works well. I usually choose the Bridge option, and that works well. Now I see they offer the "Network Conditioner" feature, and I'm wondering if anyone has had success making WiFi work reliably via Parallels. Thanks for any ideas!
I’ve given up on WiFi with Mac virtualization. Plugging in to Ethernet works great for me with Fusion (which is now free). That might be worth a try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2581 - 2600 of 2625 Posts