AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Long time lurker here! I'm looking to upgrade, and could use some help! Based on the research I've done so far, I've narrowed my choices to the Rythmik LV12R, PSA XS15se, and RA Gamma 15. I will be going with duals, and am upgrading from dual Klipsch RW12d's.

My room is 22' L x 11' W x 7.5' H, semi-open to a kitchen that is 18' L x 11' W x 7.5' H. I have a tri-level home, and the HT sits on the lower level, while the kitchen is on the main level--this is what I mean by semi-open.

Listening habits are 50/50 HT/music. I rarely listen above -15 dB volume. If it's relevant, my system consists of a Pioneer Elite SC-67 receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP-62FD universal Blu-Ray player, Monitor Audio Silver RX-6 mains, RX center and surrounds.

At $1,599 shipped, dual Gamma 15's are at the top of my budget. I would prefer to spend less, if possible. Thanks much for any help and input!

·
Registered
75" Samsung Q80R QLED, Denon AVR3300, Revel F36, C25, W263, FV15HP x 2, ATV4K, Sony Blu Ray, Harmony
8,855 Posts
1800ft^3 room I'd probably opt for the dual Gamma15 or XS15se. Research both, make a decision and I think you would be satisfied with either option.

Reactions: Red99

·
Banned
8,744 Posts
No-brainer, get the Gamma 15. In its previous incarnation, the PS15x, it would outperform the XS15se and likely the LV12r (except perhaps at the LV12r's tuning point), but with the improvements made since then, it will be by far the leader in performance among your selection. What's more is it looks the nicest as well. The only caveat is the lead times, but its well worth it if you want the most for your money.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the responses so far! Any other models that I should consider? I am size-constrained, and limited as to where I can place the subs. Nothing more than 18" W and 22" D.

ShadyJ, there's a pretty big price difference between dual LV12R's and dual Gamma 15's--more than $500. Keeping in mind that I don't listen at reference levels, is the Gamma 15 still a no-brainer?

I'm sure that whichever model I choose will obliterate my RW12d's! :)

·
Banned
8,744 Posts
Thanks for the responses so far! Any other models that I should consider? I am size-constrained, and limited as to where I can place the subs. Nothing more than 18" W and 22" D.

ShadyJ, there's a pretty big price difference between dual LV12R's and dual Gamma 15's--more than $500. Keeping in mind that I don't listen at reference levels, is the Gamma 15 still a no-brainer?

I'm sure that whichever model I choose will obliterate my RW12d's! :)
The Gamma 15s might be overkill, but look at it this way, if there are times when you do want to crank the subs, the Gamma 15s will have a lot more headroom on tap. Another thing is, even if you don't push them hard, the easier you go on them, the cleaner the bass. High excursions is the chief cause of distortion, and the less the cone moves, the cleaner the sound. The Gamma 15 driver will not be nearly as stressed to play any of the same loudness levels as the LV12r. On top of that, the less you strain the subwoofer, the longer it lasts, so overkill is good for long-term reliability. Also, like I said, they do look nicer. I think the Gammas are well worth the extra cost.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I know I probably shouldn't mention another subwoofer since you limited it down to just those three, but have you looked at the VTF-3 MK5 from HSU?

http://hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-3mk5HP.html

It looks like it will barely fall in your size constraints and will offer extra output in the 20-30hz range. It does cost a bit more than the gammas, but it's a lot of subwoofer for the money and is from a company that's been around a long time.

·
Vendor
6,249 Posts
Hi all,

Long time lurker here! I'm looking to upgrade, and could use some help! Based on the research I've done so far, I've narrowed my choices to the Rythmik LV12R, PSA XS15se, and RA Gamma 15. I will be going with duals, and am upgrading from dual Klipsch RW12d's.

My room is 22' L x 11' W x 7.5' H, semi-open to a kitchen that is 18' L x 11' W x 7.5' H. I have a tri-level home, and the HT sits on the lower level, while the kitchen is on the main level--this is what I mean by semi-open.

Listening habits are 50/50 HT/music. I rarely listen above -15 dB volume. If it's relevant, my system consists of a Pioneer Elite SC-67 receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP-62FD universal Blu-Ray player, Monitor Audio Silver RX-6 mains, RX center and surrounds.

At $1,599 shipped, dual Gamma 15's are at the top of my budget. I would prefer to spend less, if possible. Thanks much for any help and input!
FYI, you can find a complete measurement data-set on the XS15se here. Please don't focus on any single graph to try to determine overall performance.

http://www.data-bass.com/data?page=system&id=105

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

·
Premium Member
8,440 Posts
I would definitely go with what a few others have said and get the dual Gamma 15's, the older version PS15x already had the most output compared to sealed 15's and smaller and had low THD numbers too. The new amp in the Gamma is a BIG step up over the older Dayton amp the PS15x had so things are only going to get better. The drivers have been stepped up and now have copper shorting rings to help lower THD even further and the new ICE power amps have a nice DSP and RA will be able to custom it to optimize the performance with the new driver.

The new Gamma 15 is going to be a fantastic sub for the money and dual Gamma 15's at only $1600 including shipping is a crazy good deal.

I've also heard the LV12R as I actually helped put together a system for my buddy and we used dual LV12R's for his subs, and while I think they sub good I certainly wouldn't go with them again if I could do it all over again for him.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks to everyone for your opinions and input--I really appreciate it! And a big thank you to Tom at PSA, and Jeremy at RA! Both of you represent your respective companies very well, and the service each of you have provided me is unparalleled. Both of you were very helpful and patient with my questions about your products.

Well, I have made a decision--it wasn't easy. I have chosen to go with dual XS15se's. I have already placed an order earlier today, and received a tracking number for shipment. They are on their way to my home--and the estimated delivery date is tomorrow!

In the end, PSA's 30 day risk-free trial, zero lead time, 5 yr warranty on both the driver and amp, and the slightly more compact dimensions of the XS15se made the difference. The Gamma 15's are very attractive for the price, especially with the ICE amps. However, I came to the conclusion that any performance edge the Gamma 15's may have would likely be too slight for me to notice in real-world use.

I can't wait for tomorrow--I got the ok from my boss to work from home just so I can take delivery! :)

Reactions: Billy p

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Thanks to everyone for your opinions and input--I really appreciate it! And a big thank you to Tom at PSA, and Jeremy at RA! Both of you represent your respective companies very well, and the service each of you have provided me is unparalleled. Both of you were very helpful and patient with my questions about your products.

Well, I have made a decision--it wasn't easy. I have chosen to go with dual XS15se's. I have already placed an order earlier today, and received a tracking number for shipment. They are on their way to my home--and the estimated delivery date is tomorrow!

In the end, PSA's 30 day risk-free trial, zero lead time, 5 yr warranty on both the driver and amp, and the slightly more compact dimensions of the XS15se made the difference. The Gamma 15's are very attractive for the price, especially with the ICE amps. However, I came to the conclusion that any performance edge the Gamma 15's may have would likely be too slight for me to notice in real-world use.

I can't wait for tomorrow--I got the ok from my boss to work from home just so I can take delivery! :)
You narrowed it down to the right 2 subs IMO. Your final conclusion was based on many determining factors...least of all was the 30 day risk-free trial. I agree real world differences between the 2 would be hardly negligible in your home...unless you push any sub to its upper limits most will preform admirably when all things being equal.

Congrats & enjoy,

Bill

Reactions: sk373

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My subs have arrived!!! Too bad I have about 5 hrs and 15 min left in my workday--the waiting is the hardest part!

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here's an idea! Hey boss something urgent has come up do you think I can head out early today? ;)
No kidding--I wish! Here's the *really* hard part--I'm working from home today (so I could take delivery), so they're teasing me downstairs while I work in my home office upstairs!

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
No kidding--I wish! Here's the *really* hard part--I'm working from home today (so I could take delivery), so they're teasing me downstairs while I work in my home office upstairs!
What?!?! Who are they? Sounds like some sick individuals. :eek:

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
What?!?! Who are they? Sounds like some sick individuals. :eek:
LOL! I meant the new subs are teasing me by their presence downstairs, while I work in my home office upstairs! I just can't play with them until I am off the clock--2 hours and 20 min to go! :D

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
LOL! I meant the new subs are teasing me by their presence downstairs, while I work in my home office upstairs! I just can't play with them until I am off the clock--2 hours and 20 min to go! :D
Oh hahah! Sweet just don't look at the clock and before you know it you will be opening those bad boys up.

Reactions: sk373

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
Why I never get too excited by a product sitting at my doorstep … especially a sub:

1. Heavy, hard to handle and very difficult to get the dang thing out of the box for one person.
2. While furniture sliders are your friend, you’ll be pushing it all around (even after a subwoofer crawl test).
3. Picking up a heavy sub and placing it on top of the listening position isn’t fun.
4. Taking pictures of taking your subwoofer out of the box (so you know how to repack it) is boring.
5. Spending days checking out everything is tedious (moving it 6 inches here and 6 inches there and retesting).
6. Knowing full well I’ll probably return it if I’m not completely thrilled and having to repack it and send it back.

Now, don’t you feel better ;).

Reactions: Billy p and sk373
1 - 19 of 19 Posts