AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 3408 Posts

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
http://www.lyngdorf.com/products/electronics/mp-50

From a press Release:

Lyngdorf Audio Moves Boldly into Multi-Channel with Unveiling of theMP-50 Surround Sound Processor
Skive, Denmark – February 6, 2017 – Lyngdorf Audio is proud to move boldly into multi-channel with the unveiling of the new MP-50 surround sound processor. Shown for the first time at Integrated Systems Europe (ISE), the MP-50 offers cutting-edge cinema performance in a sleek package designed for anything from small media rooms to large dedicated theaters with the latest immersive sound formats and digital cinema servers. Built on the core technologies for which Lyngdorf Audio is known, MP-50 features RoomPerfect™ room correction, bass management, and seamless level alignment in addition to a custom voicing tool and built-in media player, allowing clients the utmost in flexibility and performance.“We see a need in the market for products which can offer the ultimate in experience without the ultimate price tag. The MP-50 delivers the utmost in performance while staying true to the founding mission of Lyngdorf Audio: to develop bold ideas that go beyond the ordinary through technology with a purpose.”

Flemming Smith, Sales Director, Lyngdorf Audio
In contrast to its sleek and minimalistic external design, the MP-50 offers a lengthy list of impressive features. Feature highlights include a state-of-the-art HDMI stage with 4K and 3D video support and HDCP 2.2; support for Dolby® Atmos, DTS:X and Auro-3D®; 16 balanced XLR outputs for power amplifiers; RoomPerfect™ with a voicing tool capable of 32 different EQs to cater to personal preferences; fully digital signal processing; built-in streaming audio services; and an optional DCI-compliant 16-channel digital AES/EBU input for integration with digital cinema servers.Continuing the Danish tradition of excellence in audio engineering, the MP-50 is designed and manufactured entirely in-house at the factory headquarters in Skive, Denmark. By keeping all engineering in-house, Lyngdorf Audio is able to harness years of R&D efforts, which have resulted in notable advances in technology such as the first fully digital amplifier, the Millennium amplifier, as well as one of the largest patent filings in audio history for RoomPerfect™. These core technologies are seen today in Lyngdorf’s award-winning TDAI-2170 integrated amplifier as well as its sister company, Steinway Lyngdorf.The MP-50 comes to market in Spring 2017 with a MSRP price point of $9,999. Product presentations are available at ISE, February 7-10, at Booth 10-P115 and at noon each day in demo room E108.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
List price is $10K. For my stereo system, I own the Lyngdorf TDAI stereo system. The Absolute Sound gave the TDAI a GoldenEar Award http://www.lyngdorf.com/products/electronics/tdai-2170/awards-and-review/the-absolute-sound-1 . Sonically, it's absolutely amazing @$4800 with the HDMI switching. I've also heard their Steinway Lyngdorf system several times and it is a top tier system and priced accordingly. This new MP-50 is heavily related to that prepro. Additionally, I've been to Denmark twice and in Peter Lyngdorf's home once. Peter's stereo system is one of the best I've ever heard in my life. I've must have heard over 20,000 systems over the years. Peter's system still registers as one of the top 10 rooms/systems I've had the privilege to listen to. So with that said, I am excited to hear their new prepro. So much so, I put in an order for a few. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
12,365 Posts
Fantastic looking product!

Is the owner's manual available? Want to see how certain things work. Like does the Voicing Tool allow the filter frequencies to be changed? And can it output a 9.2.4 format? Stuff like that.

·
Registered
514 Posts
We saw the processor at ISE. Fantastic looking and it's going to sound great. Still awaiting confirmation on how it can be configured as missed the presentations. We will have our demo unit beginning of March.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
717 Posts
WOW! It looks like a work of art. The configuration options look amazing. Even though they're not necessarily in the same price category, I imagine quite a few folks looking for the upcoming Denon 8803 / 8804 will be giving this strong consideration.

Reactions: Marc Alexander

·
Premium Member
24,818 Posts
*Very* interesting.

However

"a home cinema processor that comes to walk on Trinnov 's flatbeds [presumable s/b "shoes] since it comes to position itself with its 16 channel management, its Acoustic correction, and its management of the complete multi-channel audio formats just under the Trinnov Altitude 32 , the benchmark, and the rival of the future Trinnov Altitude 16, also announced on the ISE 2017.

... is capable of handling 12 main channels and 4 auxiliary channels for subwoofers thanks to its 16 balanced XLR outputs for Power amps."

The last sentence belies the first since that makes it at least 3 ch short of the Altitude 16 in satellite channels.

Perfect for me, though, as 11.x is all my room can handle.

"...support for Dolby® Atmos, DTS:X and Auro-3D®..."

Are any of those included in MSRP?

Does anyone know if RoomPerfect is capable of fully integrating subs and mains in an automated process, which to my knowledge no RC does (except perhaps JBL's BassQ)?

By that I mean, if you have multiple subs, the RC will adjust their levels and phase to give smooth response accounting for when they're all playing, and set the relative phase between subs and sats for optimum response in the XO region.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
Might pull the rug for Datasat and Trinnov, but for all of us that thinks the big Denon Receiver/Marantz prepro are very expensive - this is out of the question. If the pricetag would have been one third of it - they would have had big trouble keeping production in phase with sales, though...

One can still regard it with dreamy eyes, though....

·
Premium Member
24,034 Posts
List price is $10K. For my stereo system, I own the Lyngdorf TDAI stereo system. The Absolute Sound gave the TDAI a GoldenEar Award http://www.lyngdorf.com/products/electronics/tdai-2170/awards-and-review/the-absolute-sound-1 . Sonically, it's absolutely amazing @$4800 with the HDMI switching. I've also heard their Steinway Lyngdorf system several times and it is a top tier system and priced accordingly. This new MP-50 is heavily related to that prepro. Additionally, I've been to Denmark twice and in Peter Lyngdorf's home once. Peter's stereo system is one of the best I've ever heard in my life. I've must have heard over 20,000 systems over the years. Peter's system still registers as one of the top 10 rooms/systems I've had the privilege to listen to. So with that said, I am excited to hear their new prepro. So much so, I put in an order for a few. :)
This looks good. Curious to see how much it will cost in $Au

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
This looks good. Curious to see how much it will cost in $Au
You were the 1st person that quoted me. Sorry that I didn't see any other posts.

I'm not sure how much it will cost $$ wise via Au. I depends on who the importer is. For Lyngdorf USA, I order from a direct employee who lives in the States. Then they ship it directly from Denmark. A few days later, it is in my hands. Personally, I prefer that approach as it keeps the pricing in line.

My Danish contact (Claus) who lives in LA JUST got his demo. It's a preproduction model. He formerly owned a Datasat prepro a while back that he loved and is giving engineering feedback for final software. Per my conversations with him 2 days ago, he said that shipments are predicted to be "mid to late April". Because I know the TDAI so well for my STEREO listening, I jumped in with both feet and placed an early order for 4.

Like the Steinway Lyngdorf processor which is 2X the money, the MP-50 will have voicing tools. Roger, you will like this. It has the algorithm called PLIIx. Have you ever heard of that?;) As I said earlier, the big big benefit S-L piece is there is no "preamp" as the digital out controlled the rail voltages of the amp. With the MP-50, they have an analog out via a volume control. So by definition, it will be "lossy-er".

Because I am not good at waiting, I asked Claus if I can borrow his demo in LA. Answer; yes! So my plan is to drive to LA from PHX and do a couple GTG's. AVS members are welcome to attend and I am working on a couple of immersive sound customers homes where we can swap and compare various prepro's. The only rule is those who attend must post their honest feedback accordingly. My hope is to get out to LA late Feb or early March. Interestingly enough, I will be tuning a stereo system in Boston mid month using the TDAI. So if me let's me borrow his prepro for a few days, I'll stuff it in my carry on and do another round of comparisons in Boston. RichB, are you up for it?

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Does anyone know if RoomPerfect is capable of fully integrating subs and mains in an automated process, which to my knowledge no RC does (except perhaps JBL's BassQ)?

By that I mean, if you have multiple subs, the RC will adjust their levels and phase to give smooth response accounting for when they're all playing, and set the relative phase between subs and sats for optimum response in the XO region.
I have a dozen or more questions. I'll ask Lyngdorf to see what they say and report back.

·
Registered
9,502 Posts
You were the 1st person that quoted me. Sorry that I didn't see any other posts.

I'm not sure how much it will cost $$ wise via Au. I depends on who the importer is. For Lyngdorf USA, I order from a direct employee who lives in the States. Then they ship it directly from Denmark. A few days later, it is in my hands. Personally, I prefer that approach as it keeps the pricing in line.

My Danish contact (Claus) who lives in LA JUST got his demo. It's a preproduction model. He formerly owned a Datasat prepro a while back that he loved and is giving engineering feedback for final software. Per my conversations with him 2 days ago, he said that shipments are predicted to be "mid to late April". Because I know the TDAI so well for my STEREO listening, I jumped in with both feet and placed an early order for 4.

Like the Steinway Lyngdorf processor which is 2X the money, the MP-50 will have voicing tools. Roger, you will like this. It has the algorithm called PLIIx. Have you ever heard of that?;) As I said earlier, the big big benefit S-L piece is there is no "preamp" as the digital out controlled the rail voltages of the amp. With the MP-50, they have an analog out via a volume control. So by definition, it will be "lossy-er".

Because I am not good at waiting, I asked Claus if I can borrow his demo in LA. Answer; yes! So my plan is to drive to LA from PHX and do a couple GTG's. AVS members are welcome to attend and I am working on a couple of immersive sound customers homes where we can swap and compare various prepro's. The only rule is those who attend must post their honest feedback accordingly. My hope is to get out to LA late Feb or early March. Interestingly enough, I will be tuning a stereo system in Boston mid month using the TDAI. So if me let's me borrow his prepro for a few days, I'll stuff it in my carry on and do another round of comparisons in Boston. RichB, are you up for it?
Better than DATASAT?

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Better than DATASAT?
Actually, he never discussed what he liked best. He talked about features inside of the Room Perfect room EQ that he liked better (which I assume would mean he likes the overall SQ better).

I looked at picking up Datasat closely. They make a GREAT product. In fact, Datasat was going to send me a demo. The plan was that I was going to fly to Southern CA for training, etc, etc. But when I caught wind of this new MP-50 prepro (and especially that they had adjustments over and above McIntosh features) I put the Dataset demo on hold. For me at least, the Datasat $5k onsite calibration made it a tough pill to swallow. After all, what happens if my customer gets a new pair of speakers? Or moves his speakers by a foot, adds new couches etc? With room Perfect, you re-EQ, attached your adjustments to taste and no one is out a big service fee.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Any updates? Impressions?

·
Registered
514 Posts
Yes it is absolutely fantastic. Have spent many hours with an MP-50 hooked up to an MK 300 7.6.4 system.

·
Premium Member
24,818 Posts
Rich,

Glad to hear that.

Are you able to address the below?

·
Registered
911 Posts
Yes it is absolutely fantastic. Have spent many hours with an MP-50 hooked up to an MK 300 7.6.4 system.

Thank you for the response.
Any bugs or quirks that you've ran into?

I have no doubt that it will sound great with HT, but I'm also interested in the MP-50's 2CH music performance.
I have recently bought an Aurender A10 music server and love it's internal DAC so I have my Classe SSP800 set to stereo bypass. I'm wondering if the MP-50's DACs along with it's room correction would better the A10's. I realize that it won't decode MQA but I'm not 100% sold on the SQ of MQA. It's a bit of a hit or miss.
I may replace my Classe soon. Obviously, I'd like to take advantage of the MP-50's room correction, speaker crossover,..etc, but it wouldn't make sense to "bypass" a new 10K processor.

I'd appreciate any other feedbacks.

·
Registered
514 Posts
The MP-50 will fully integrate subs into a system. Lyngdorf advocate corner loading subs. It will not however time align. This has to be done manually. Best sub integration we have ever heard.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Regarding 2 channel, the MP-50 is as good as the TDAi 2170.

It has 32 user adjustable voicing's with Parametric EQ as well as RoomPerfect on all channels.

The

1 - 20 of 3408 Posts