Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

does anyone out there have first hand experience of the M-Audio Audiophile USB ?

I am considering using this as an audio solution for a laptop. I appreciate that it builds on other M-Audio products which have been well received, but I can find no reviews for this particular product.

Having read the manual, I see that it comes with ASIO drivers, so

1) I assume this means that audio is not automatically resampled?

2) I know various sound editing packages can make use of the ASIO drivers but does this mean that if I can find a player that is ASIO compliant, then I will get unresampled output through an SPDIF interface?

regards,

SKirms

·
Registered
34 Posts
I am interested in this as well. I currently have a desktop PC dedicated to HTPC but, I will be installing a digital projector soon and plan to use it with my new Sony laptop. Video is not a problem but, the laptop only has analog stereo sound. The desktop PC which I purchased from AV Science 4 years ago has served me faithfully. It can pass Dolby and DTS to my receiver.

If their are better solution's available I would like to hear about it.

My laptop is currently connected my my wireless LAN using Links G-54MEG

It also has a Sony ilink DV but, I believe that is only for video to my camera.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'm using M-Audio USB Duo, should be something similiar to Audiophile USB. Simply speaking, ASIO is great but it has nothing related to resampling. It's just a clear interface; garbage in,garbage out. For the ASIO playback, you may consider WinAmp3 + PMCASIO (from http://www.aikis.or.jp/~otachan/cnv_pcmasio.html ). This program can playback PCM files, which you can DAE from a audio CD. It supports resampling up to 192kHz (word length cannot be changed). However, you have to make sure your box supports something like 16bit/96kHz or 16bit/ 192kHz, which is not supported in USB Duo. Nevertheless, the output quality is already very good indeed.

Of course, if you use those editing packages to upsample these PCM files all the way to 24bit,96kHz which can be played back also, if you set the configuration to 24bit bitwidth.

This plugin works with SPDIF output as well. I tried it on a RME Digi96 and the external DAC is Part Connections DAC2.6, no problem was found in 16bit/96kHz resampled output.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey magi,

thankyou for your reply.

My point about ASIO drivers was that I believed that they bypass Windows KMixer, and therefore avoid the KMixer resampling that I believed took place. My point was not that ASIO itself has anything to do with resampling.

It seems like you garbage in garbage out statement would support this. Can you or anyone else clarify my understanding?

Skirms

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.